Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2019, 11:05 AM   #1
GBR

Main slideout issues on 2017 Alpine 3010re as well as Avalanche and Montana slides

Last August I had major warranty work done on my dinette slide wherein the ram busted thru the trim and bent the main bar. This was caused by a manufactures assembly line issue relative to over torqued bolts. Well, after only 10 or less openings, we had a slide failure at a campground in West Virginia. The rear gear pack is missing teeth and this caused the slide to go out crooked, tear at the top of the slideout room membrane,rip the rubber seals on top with the bottom line cost estimated at $2300 Canadian. I met with my service manager at the RV shop and we had a great chat about this slid and issues they face. There is less than a 1/2 inch between the top of the slide and bottom of the RV wall. He indicated that this narrow opening is sided by 2 rubber gaskets that are 3 in he’s in width. If the gasket does on slide properly due to lack of lubrication then you can have the inside gasket jam into the outside gasket and sent the slide into a situation where everything gets jammed at the top and thus break slide parts etc.. He further indicated that there was a similar model to mine that is having the same issues. He also said that Montana’s and Avalanches also have similar problems and they feel it is a design issue. As we await a goodwill decision from Keystone one major recommendations are to replace the larger rubber gaskets with small ones to reduce the the chances of binding. He indicated that as the roof spacing is so tight, the narrower gaskets will not be a water infiltration issue. Another insurance alternative would be to add some slide toppers to help in that matter, but, not until the slide works to my satisfaction. The other thing is to insure the slide is properly centered in the opening. We noticed that the door side of the slide always has rubber black marks (we lube them on a regular basis) while the other end does not so this will be looked at as well. This too can contribute to binding. I have seen a great solution of adding 1/2 inch rollers from Lippert that are designed for the DYI person but with gap already narrow this may not be a viable option in my case.
I just wanted to raise my issues to see if others on this forum have or are having similar issues. I will apprise you all of the outcome.
Kind regards to all;
Pullrite 16K Superglide
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
GBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:13 PM   #2
roadglide

Design flaw like building the slide room to big or the opening to small. Your case you didn't neglect to lube the slide . What is the design flaw?
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:30 PM   #3
Tbos

Main slideout issues on 2017 Alpine 3010re as well as Avalanche and Montana slides

Are you on the Alpine owner’s FB page. There may be some help available there. I’m not sure I agree with your tech regarding the seals causing the slide to go sideways. If they are lubricated like you say you did they shouldn’t be sticking. If you look around a CG you will find a lot of RVs with seal marks on the slides.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:18 PM   #4
GBR

The flaw is that when the slide goes out the top tries to catch up with the bottom and will fall forward and can or will in my case cause the slide to shutter, bind and result in 2 episodes of the slide being broken and twisted in the opening. This time it was so twisted in the opening that the frame around the slide hit the rear cabinets. These units have huge windows and slides that are over 6 feet tall. There is no mechanism to help control/guide the sides smoothly as the go out. I was instructed to try and hold the top back but when it’s moving I can’t effect any change towards smoothing the slide out process. In reference to the rubber seals, the tops were ripped and the roof membrane stretched due to the seals being caught in the 1/2 inch gap between the top of the slide and the trailers wall frame. It was actually jammed and stuck against the roof of the slide wall. For those who have see old dresser drawers where there are no slides, as you pull it out the bottom drops and the top compresses gains the top. That is my slide. I know that rubber marks are common but showing only on one side of the slide may have some bearing on the issue or may not. Thanks for referral to Alpine group.
Pullrite 16K Superglide
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Old 05-28-2019, 01:31 PM   #5
GBR

Just a quick update stating that Keystone would not assist in the slide repairs. After discussion with Tori from Keystone, she indicated that they would be in direct contact with me on my request for help. Unfortunately she never called me but I was advised by the dealer. After originally being accused by Keystone of damaging my slide before the last repair (and initially refused help while under full warranty) until it was determined it was a factory build issue; I knew they would not be of assistance. Repairs are now being done at my cost and at this juncture the decision is to keep or move on to another manufacturer. No sour grapes here but after 3 Keystones, my very last. Like the idea of the 2 year warranty available from some manufactures. Given our limited usage the 2 years will give us more time to work thru any issues. We will take it one day at a time.
Pullrite 16K Superglide
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Old 05-28-2019, 04:01 PM   #6
Tbos

I hope they are able to fix it at a reasonable cost. Fortunately, I don’t seem to have an issue with my slides. The hydraulic system seems to do a good job keeping everything in place as they go in and out. FYI, this is the same system used by almost every major brand including the ones that offer a 2 year warranty.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:51 PM   #7
GBR

Yes Tom you are right there on being common to most manufacturers. The dealership is working with me to resolve this and reduce the costs where they can. At this point I’ll try Zep 45 and any other product to help in fixing this issue. Reading other posts I have noted that rubber seals have caused many a shuttering slide so my attention in the future is to keep a watchful eye on the when bringing in and out. Thanks
Pullrite 16K Superglide
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Old 05-30-2019, 04:46 AM   #8
ChuckS

I don’t agree with your service techs assessment of your hyd slide out issues at all.. I own a 2014 Alpine 3010RE... there is nothing wrong at all with the design of the top and side wiper seals...

The gear pack shearing teeth off the gear is more likely due to lack of the gear pack assembly being clean and lubed properly..

There are two main guide tracks...one for each gear pack that keep the slide tracking straight when moving.

When was the last time the gear packs were serviced ? I would also question the overall top to bottom vertical height measurement and side to side measurement to verify the slide out is properly adjusted.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:15 AM   #9
GBR

The gears on the slide were fully repaired and serviced in August 2018 under warranty. The trailer was used for 10 days in September. Moved directly to Florida in October for storage and opened Feb1/19. Opened and closed 3 more times before it failed on trip home in April. $1485.00 later it is now fixed. The repair included the expansion of the slide opening a full inch and adjusting the seals and several parts. As Keystone would not accept any responsibility the RV Canada shop charged me for parts only and 1/2 labor costs. They were great. When it was initially repaired in August the technician when thru in detail the required slide maintenance and I have all the specific lubrication products to keep the mechanisms operating properly. The shop has already repaired 4 slides on Alpines, Avalanches and Montanas. When I was there, a 2018 Alpine was ready to go in for the same repair. I am hopeful this has resolved the issue as the slide is operating very smoothly and not stoping several times when going out or in. Fingers crossed.
Pullrite 16K Superglide
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Old 08-13-2019, 11:20 PM   #10
crispy

Hello GBR . I am having same trouble on a 2011 montana. Do you know how they were able to expand the slide opening by an inch ? Thank you
crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:55 AM   #11
ChuckS

Unless some design in the 3010RE has changed regarding the slideouts the seals and such are just fine at the size they are.

An improperly adjusted slideout , incorrectly torqued gearpack or faulty gearpack, or some foreign object underneath the hydraulic slide out is more likely the cause.

The slides have to “Tip Up” when starting initial movement outward due to nylon ramp edge underneath the floor of the slides.

Once the slideout move outward enough on the slide ramp it will level out

Also if someone has installed the incorrect gear pack Assy from factory .... there are two different pitches made then slide out will not track properly.

I’d also have to drop the colorplast and look at the mounting bracket for that slideout hyd cylinder and all attaching hardware.

The so called RV tech that says the 3010 Alpine needs smaller seals needs to go back to school. He knows nothing about this setup.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:01 PM   #12
GBR

Sorry just saw this question. Apparently they disassembled the top slide opening trim and literally removed an inch and installed the trim and new rubber seals. I do not know how they did the cut but it appears to be a neat job. They may have removed the slide completely but at this juncture I do not know.
Pullrite 16K Superglide
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Tags
alpine, montana, slide, slideout