Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2018, 10:18 AM   #1
Mongoose9400

Question Winterizing Dometic 310 Toilet

I'm in North Texas and winters are not that terrible. I winterized the rig with compressed air and dumped a little pink stuff in the p-traps and toilet bowls.

Everything seemed to work out fine except one of the two toilets has a little leak from the water value. It only seems to leak after a flush is completed and it dribbles a little fresh water.

I went through the Dometic manual and it shows some winter damage pics and notes about the valve cracking. Does the compressed not method not get "all" the water out of the valve, or does it dribble back in from the vacuum line or something? I get the compressed air may not make the valve 100% void of water, but I was expecting a few drops may remaining, but the valve would have enough room for the water to expand without breaking it.

I use the rig often for weekend trips, so I do compressed air for a quick way to winterize and it's easy to take the rig out without needing to flush pink stuff from the water lines. I've already winterized the rig twice in the last month or two, and I have another trip coming up in a couple weeks.

Does anyone have any advice on the water valves to make sure they don't get damaged?

2015 F-350 CC LB SRW Platinum
-Michelin LTX A/T 2 - LT275/65R20E Tires
-B&W Ford Puck Mount Companion Hitch
2018 Raptor Predator Series 3513P, GVWR 16,820 lbs.
-Carlisle All Steel CSL16 - ST235/80R16F Tires
Mongoose9400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:43 AM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I had the same thing happen 2 winters ago. I blew out the lines but did not depress the toilet flushe to open up the valve. That was the only problem I had. I dont think it takes much water in that valve to freeze and break it.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:44 AM   #3
mfifield01

I have been doing the same. I haven't seen any issues with valve, but it might stay above freezing more in Central Texas.

I have seen the toilet leak from the base near the floor. It did it after about 2 years and it appears to be doing it again (1.5 years later).
Old 12-18-2018, 11:27 AM   #4
Mongoose9400

When I winterize I push the flush pedal down many time and it appears no more water is blowing out of the lines/toilet. I have not taken a closer inspection yet (I have a replacement value on order for the next trip to repair it) but it is not leaking from the base. It leaks from the water valve area. It doesn't always seem to do it? If I do a regular flush it may not leak, but if I hold the pedal to fill the bowl all the way to add water to the holding thank then it may leak. The rig is a few months new, and this is the first time I have seen valve leak water.

I figure in the end it's do to water damage. So I'm just looking for the best way to use compressed air to try and avoid breaking another water valve, if there is a way? I didn't know if I need to pull the water valve to make sure all the water is emptied or something?

Old 12-18-2018, 12:49 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

There are two stainless screws that hold the flush valve in the toilet fitting body. Sometimes those screws are not tightened properly at the factory and we've had one or two people say that one or both of the screws were missing. The valve snaps in and the screws are not necessary if everything works as designed, but how often does that happen, so the screws are "more or less required".... When the valve body is exposed to freezing temps, the expansion can cause the valve body to deform just enough to cause an occasional leak. For most, tightening the screws or installing the screws (if they are not present) will fix the leak as long as the "freeze indicator dimple" is not raised indicating valve body internal damage.

Winterizing instructions from Dometic (which few of us follow) say to disconnect the water valve from the water supply, depress the flush foot pedal, allow all the water to drain, then leave the valve disconnected from the water supply until spring. As I said, few (I don't know anyone) do this.....

You might unscrew the toilet supply line, pull the valve and take a look. If you find it loose, tighten the screws, if the screws are missing, according to one member, they are #6 x 5/8” course thread, 1/4” hex head. You can read about his "experience with a leaking water valve here: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ighlight=flush

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 12:52 PM   #6
Ken / Claudia

I found without opening the valve while air is blowing it will contain water and where I live it will crack. Fix was found 2 ways. 1 have wife open the valve as I was outside blowing the air. 2 take 10 minutes and remove the valve, place it inside home where it will not freeze and install it in the spring. It is made to crack to save other expensive parts. It does that well.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 03:43 PM   #7
Mongoose9400

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There are two stainless screws that hold the flush valve in the toilet fitting body. Sometimes those screws are not tightened properly at the factory and we've had one or two people say that one or both of the screws were missing. The valve snaps in and the screws are not necessary if everything works as designed, but how often does that happen, so the screws are "more or less required".... When the valve body is exposed to freezing temps, the expansion can cause the valve body to deform just enough to cause an occasional leak. For most, tightening the screws or installing the screws (if they are not present) will fix the leak as long as the "freeze indicator dimple" is not raised indicating valve body internal damage.

Winterizing instructions from Dometic (which few of us follow) say to disconnect the water valve from the water supply, depress the flush foot pedal, allow all the water to drain, then leave the valve disconnected from the water supply until spring. As I said, few (I don't know anyone) do this.....

You might unscrew the toilet supply line, pull the valve and take a look. If you find it loose, tighten the screws, if the screws are missing, according to one member, they are #6 x 5/8” course thread, 1/4” hex head. You can read about his "experience with a leaking water valve here: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ighlight=flush
Great info...thank you!

Tags
dometic, toilet, winter, winterizing