Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2019, 07:15 PM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
Yep... we're big, fat, rich Americans and the rest of the world hates us

Having lived here my whole life and traveled minimally abroad, I am also interested to learn how others do it in other areas. We are totally lucky/spoiled here with the affordability of fuel and the offerings of our RVs. Hauling my 11,000# trailer up into the woods only to live like I do at home is kind of ridiculous.

The rest of the world hates us because we have been so much more successful than their "models of living" - some centuries older than us, simply due to our forefathers foresight and vision . I have no interest in knowing how they do it "over there" since their lifestyles can't begin to compare to ours....now, comparison within our own USA/Canada IS interesting. We are "lucky/spoiled" simply due to those before us. To haul the 11k trailer into the woods, and live like you do at home, is ridiculous. The ability to do it is not.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:29 AM   #22
notanlines

We have travelled extensively in this world and found that there a number of other countries that have a standard of living close to or equal to the US/Canada. Topping the list would be Australia where gas prices are in the $4.30 per gallon/US dollar.
We have travelled in every Canadian province except Nunavut and have found that Canada is just like being in the US but they haven't discovered our Imperial system of weights and measures. We love travelling in all of Canada except Quebec. Maybe if I spoke French the reception would be better. But I digress....
And the next time we're in Australia I need to have a talk with Aussies about which side of the road they drive on.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:38 AM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
We have travelled extensively in this world and found that there a number of other countries that have a standard of living close to or equal to the US/Canada. Topping the list would be Australia where gas prices are in the $4.30 per gallon/US dollar.
We have travelled in every Canadian province except Nunavut and have found that Canada is just like being in the US but they haven't discovered our Imperial system of weights and measures. We love travelling in all of Canada except Quebec. Maybe if I spoke French the reception would be better. But I digress....
And the next time we're in Australia I need to have a talk with Aussies about which side of the road they drive on.
Yes, I forgot Australia. I've never been there but met quite a few folks from there and liked every single one.....and that's really unusual for me. It is on our bucket list to visit. My original post wasn't to put any particular place down, just an observation on how well we have it and why I suppose.

As far as Quebec, I've not been there either and had no desire to go due to the various stories I've heard. Oddly, the only folks we see by far in this campground are from Quebec, and they are all very nice folks. Some are hard to understand but are still friendly. There is one couple we visit with every day. I think those that are comfortable with the U.S. are the ones that come down and the rest don't?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:54 PM   #24
waltheraustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
"boy scouts alternative" ???

I would ask for details but then again maybe I'm better off not knowing.

RMc
Boy scouts have had some decisions in the past few years that this other group formed. It's a church based version of boy scouts
waltheraustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:47 PM   #25
Laredo Tugger

Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like a good program for the kids.
When you use the word alternative these days your not sure what your'e going to get.
Thanks
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:57 PM   #26
waltheraustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like a good program for the kids.
When you use the word alternative these days your not sure what your'e going to get.
Thanks
RMc
Yeah, I thought about that after I reread it.
waltheraustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:52 PM   #27
Badbart56

A little more information. Sounds good.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/w...211700404.html

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:18 AM   #28
LewisB

Back to power vs fuel efficiency...

Our current 2017 F350 DRW 4x4 lists 440 HP & 960 #pounds of torque...yet it is more fuel efficient than either of our prior F450 and F250 tow vehicles. I think the new vehicles can satisfy EITHER the need for power or fuel efficiency. It all depends on how heavy the right foot of the operator behind the wheel!

We are towing over 27,000 GCWR; if I keep the speed at 65 mph or less, we average a tad over 10 mpg on a long trip. I think that is spectacular based on prior tow vehicles. And it would be even better if I were willing to drop down to 55 mph and not race that guy in a Dodge to the top of the next hill

The point is, the new tow vehicles give you some choice - you get to decide if you want to burn up the road (and a lot of fuel) or relax and spend extra time to cut your fuel costs. That's an option for us all that we commonly didn't have a few years (and vehicles) ago.
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:11 PM   #29
ozark traveler

I hope this isn't to far off subject. I understand that along with the new 7.3 gas engine and 10 speed tranny, there is a new RV chassis scheduled to replace the F53 chassis. Does anyone have any info on the new chassis? (Maybe to be released sometime this spring?)
Old 02-14-2019, 01:25 PM   #30
Badbart56

I have no intention of giving up my diesel but I am very interested in seeing what numbers this engine brings. With the old school push rod design and something on the order of 444 cubic inches I want to see how many miles per gallon this monster can get, not to mention the torque! Thinking back when I had my 97 F350 with the 7.3 and a friend had the same truck with the 460, I would get 10-13 mpg towing my fifth wheel while he would get 6-8 mpg towing a lighter bumper pull RV. How much can they improve the mileage on such a beast. We'll stay tuned.....

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford