Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2019, 08:38 AM   #1
Jgraham14813

Awning doesn’t roll out

I’m back again maybe a dumb question but for some reason my awning doesn’t want to roll out I can get it out maybe two feet but still has tension and wants to roll back in and yes the switch up top is in the roll out position I have tried both
Jgraham14813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:57 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Josh, This is just a suggestion. Add a signature to your posts with the year and model of your trailer so folks don't have to guess what type of awning or accessories you have.

That said, I am guessing that you have a manual awning. When you say it wants to roll back up ... that is normal and has to be pulled down and than locked in the down position. Or do you mean you can only pull it about two feet???
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:32 AM   #3
Jgraham14813

Yes it’s a domestic manual awning I was able to finally pull it all the way out however if I would have let go of it, it would have rolled back and smashed into the side of the camper. The two campers I had prior to this would not roll back up unless the switch was flipped up intp the roll up position this one was still in the roll down position but wanted to roll up with a lot of force.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:34 AM   #4
Jgraham14813

And does anyone know what these parts are called as both of them are broken no idea how they broke as this is the first time I have ever opened this awning
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1D4F06D4-FBAF-440E-9C0B-82385BCB630E.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	20008  
Old 01-25-2019, 10:03 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

From the condition of the trailer in your photo, this doesn't look like a "new" trailer but a "new to me" trailer. The statement you made, "This is the first time I've opened the awning".... Do you mean the first time YOU have opened the awning or the first time the awning has been opened (meaning a new awning that's in warranty) ?????

If it's "New and in warranty" then let your dealer handle the problem....

If it's "New to you and not in warranty" then you can purchase awning parts at any RV dealership, Amazon, any "online RV parts website" or EBay (just as a few places that carry parts.

As for the problem you have, it sounds like the shaft on the "awning lock mechanism" in the roller tube has come loose. That's likely to be the problem with why it doesn't ratchet out and "more or less" stay in the out position. As for the "rafter" that slides in the awning side support and locks the awning in the "out" position, you can find them here: http://getrvparts.com/a-e-awning-rep...wning-rafters/ Keep in mind that there are as many different lengths, widths and colors of rafters as there are awning models, so make sure you cross reference what you need with the awning model number that's on the awning roller tube and on the awning side arms.

Again, if this is a "new" awning on a "new" trailer, let the dealership fix it under warranty.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:21 AM   #6
Jgraham14813

Yes this is a new to me 5th wheel that was not taken care of I got an extremely good deal that I couldn’t pass up. So how hard is it to tighten the shaft that the lock is connected to
Old 01-25-2019, 11:30 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

If all it needs is the roll pin tapped back into the shaft, it's easy, if the shaft has twisted or broken inside the roller tube, it's still repairable, but it won't be a "5 minute quickie". IWO, it depends on what's broken or what came loose. Only an inspection to find the problem will give you that information.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning