Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2019, 11:40 AM   #1
cbmfire

Using grill under awning

We have a new 2019 Cougar 26rbswe that has the outdoor kitchen which is under the awning when extended. I'm concerned that grilling under the awning will leave smoke and grease on the underside of the awning. The grill is located in a pull out shelf in the outdoor kitchen and has a hose to plug into gas line under the camper. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with cooking under the awning. Our last camper had a Coleman grill we set on the picnic table and cooked there.
cbmfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:50 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Our last trailer, a Springdale fifth wheel, had no grill and no connection. We regularly did what we have done with previous trailers, pull the campsite picnic table under the awning and set the grill on that table. Well, we got a new grill, a Weber, fired it up and used it several times (on the picnic table) and never thought anything about it. When we got home at the end of that 2 month trip, I opened the awning to wash it and noticed that the underside was melted in places. Was the grill to blame? I can say we never had a campfire under the awning, so it certainly wasn't from any heat source other than the grill. Our current Cougar has the grill mount on the rear of the trailer and the awning stops about 2' from the rear of the trailer, so the grill is "outside the awning cover"....

As I said, we'd done it for 30+ years without any problems, but it only takes once..... Maybe the grill is too "hot" maybe the awning fabric is "changed" maybe it was a "fluke" but the vinyl covered fabric was melted. So.......

One point in your favor: If the grill is on a slide inside the outdoor kitchen, you "should" have a vertical opening door that acts as a "roof" over the grill. That may deflect most of the heat away from the awning. ??????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:03 PM   #3
TLB

I see people cook under the awning all the time, I don't.
Smoke goes up so figure that some grease is in the smoke so it will be on the underside of the awning. Just my thoughts because cleaning the awning is a job nobody likes.

2014 Passport Elite 31RE

2017 2500HD Crew Cab
TLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:25 PM   #4
Brentw

I've always grilled under the awning, never noticed getting more dirty in that location. Have washed my awning every five years or so. Have never seen nor worried about melting fabric.

Now that we said awning cleaning, I used to go at the awning with an extended brush, tip I picked up is to spray awning with your favorite cleaner, roll it up for 5-15 minutes, this will soak both sides, unroll and spray off.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:36 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I won't grill under an awning. I don't have a built in grill so I keep the grill just outside the awning area. If you've ever had to clean a kitchen ceiling over a stove that someone loved to cook on you know that all that grease floats in the heat and attaches to whatever it lands on. I don't want or need that mess, and as John pointed out, some of these grills can get pretty hot.....the awning can/will melt. I don't see any reason to - if it's bad, put the grill inside some sort of enclosure that costs a lot less than an awning. JMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 05:23 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Back when they would mount the rail on the side of the camper to mount a grill I wouldn't use it. I feared the excessive heat would damage the camper wall and the greasy smoke would tral under the awning. As for the heat issue just place your hand (palm facing the grill) on the object your concerned about. If it's too hot to keep your hand there then it's probably to much heat.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:45 PM   #7
newemptynester

In our 30+ years we have never grilled under the awning. I figure the grease alone would just make a mess. I see people doing it all the time. If I cannot cook because of the weather or something else - we go out.
newemptynester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:38 AM   #8
spade117

I usually have an eazy-up tent that is used as our outdoor kitchen area. A table, small grills, blackstone griddle, smoker, propane stove or whatever else is being used for that trip.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:07 AM   #9
goducks

I highly doubt grease can travel that high. Smoke will. If you're cooking foods that are that greasy you may want to change your diet. I've been cooking under my awning for 6 seasons and I see no stains from grease.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:19 PM   #10
linux3

Like most TTs I have a propane connector on the side. I don't use it.
I have a portable stove that uses the propane bottles and place the picnic table only half under the awning. I grill on the part not under the awning.
Doesn't matter what you grill, smoke and smell rise. Will it stain, smell or melt? I don't know and I don't want to deal with it.
I'm glamping and I want to keep my life simple and easy.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:33 PM   #11
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
I highly doubt grease can travel that high. Smoke will. If you're cooking foods that are that greasy you may want to change your diet. I've been cooking under my awning for 6 seasons and I see no stains from grease.
X2
I don’t see an issue do it all the time.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:37 PM   #12
fourfourto

X3
All the time

2017 Keystone 1750rd
2006 Hummer H3
1968 Oldsmobile 442
1983 Honda CX650C
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:38 AM   #13
Gord

Using grill under awning

Our 2015 Keystone Bullet 210WRUD has a sticker on the side of the trailer were the BBQ attaches that says not to use BBQ with awning extended.
Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:21 AM   #14
BadmanRick

We grill under the awning as this is where the outside grill was located by keystone. We have had no problem with smoke or grime from the grill. More problems with mold than anything else. My awning is at least 6 feet above the grill.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:40 PM   #15
theasphaltrv'er

Don't see a problem grilling under the awning. We put our grill & 2 burner stove on one end of the pick-nick table and then cover the table with our Clam 9281 Quick-Set Escape Shelter. Been doing this for 3 or 4 years and inside of the top still looks new. No grease & no smoke residue on it + it keeps the flies & skeeters away, not to mention keeps squirrels out of the grease pan.
Life is fantastic & gettin
better every day
theasphaltrv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:03 PM   #16
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

Nope, won't do it. Have you ever seen the videos of turkey fryers under and awning? Yep, you guessed it, the house burns down. I realize we are talking about a grill, somewhat less volatile, still not going to do it.

I promise to come running with a fire extinguisher and a hose to help anyone out in the event of a fire.
HitFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:08 PM   #17
Brentw

Hmmm, you're comparing 3 gal of boiling oil to a gas grill. Not sure I would deep fry a turkey under my awning, but have a grilled under an awning since I could afford one, not once have i been concerned for my awning.
I guess we all have our level of risk tolerance.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning