Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2019, 08:56 AM   #1
brianshellhart

Landing gear problems

I have a 2009 31' keystone cougar fifth wheel recently the original plastic gear box broke so i replaced it. I went to lift it to put it on the back end of my truck and kept blowing fuses. All jacks were up everything was ready to go. So I figured I might have put the motor under stress before the gearbox went I ordered a new motor. Got the new motor and when I go to lift all i get is a rat a tat tat. I can engage the motor and manually lift it with ease but the motor wont lift by itself it will go down just fine but won't lift. I called the dealership I got the rv from and the motor thru and they ordered another motor picked up the new motor and everything is the same so can I get some advise as to where to look next.
brianshellhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:35 AM   #2
CWtheMan

It may have one of those 30A resetting circuit breakers that's on the final stage of wear-out.

On my older model Everest it's in the battery compartment. The Everest also has one in the slide system.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:52 AM   #3
KeithInUpstateNY

May be an obvious question, but is the battery fully charged? It takes a lot of power to lift the tongue, but not too lower it.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:23 AM   #4
brianshellhart

New Battery starting to wonder if the gearing in the actual feet iss going bad kind of looks like a flywheel inside the landing gear wondering if the teeth are any good and the new motor doesn't trip the 30A fuse just rat a tat tat almost like it somegow is in a bind
Old 01-09-2019, 11:05 AM   #5
CWtheMan

Our long time traveling companions have a Montana. They had an intermittent landing gear switch replaced under warranty. Some time later when the problem resurfaced they had an after market switch installed. I don't recall them having any problems with the better manufactured, after market switch.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:43 AM   #6
AbHDToyHauler

As stated above could be pitted contacts in switch. Poor contact so motor is stalling
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:04 PM   #7
brianshellhart

Landing gear is seized on left side, motor side goes up and down other side won't I broke the bolt on the cross bar when manually lifting the rig on the left side so now the question is what now.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:45 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds like you replaced the gear set on the motor drive side and it was slow with the new motor, changed out the motor and it's still slow? Then you say you sheared the pin and the follower leg is seized and won't raise/lower. There is a "follower leg gear set and it sounds like that gear set has a broken gear. You can buy a replacement "plastic set" from any RV dealer. Some dealerships have a metal gear set which is much more durable. The metal gear sets are also available on EBay. At this time, with a "busted landing gear" you may not have the luxury of waiting for EBay to deliver parts. Any RV dealership with a parts department will have replacement follower leg gear sets available. Probable cost will be around $15.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:01 PM   #9
brianshellhart

Never replaced gear set on motor side was motor mount I guess holds the motor and spins the gears on the drive side. Yes gears on following side wont go up or down is it gear or threaded shaft inside? Do I need to disacenble the leg from the rv to fix?
Old 01-09-2019, 02:30 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

There are two different gear sets that you'll probably want to replace since you're going to be disassembling the landing gear.
The lead leg (motor side): https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lead-Landin...-aP:rk:37:pf:0
and the follower leg: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lippert-146...8Gv:rk:39:pf:0

These MAY NOT be the gearsets that fit your landing gear, you'll need to verify what brand and size landing gear is installed on your system and order the gear sets that work for your system.

You don't need to remove the landing gear to change out the gears, but you will need to either jack the front of the trailer to remove weight from the landing gear or hitch it to the truck so your fifth wheel hitch supports the trailer. Then you can remove the top cover and access the gear sets. They are relatively easy to change, but pay attention to how they come apart so you can reinstall them the same way.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-18-2019, 01:39 PM   #11
brianshellhart

Ok got new gears installed them and still fifth wheel does not raise all i get is rat ta ta tat going on Any other ideas??
Old 01-18-2019, 02:39 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Is the shear pin in the "cross travel drive bar" intact? It's probably a grade 5 1/4" bolt located closer to the follow leg. Additionally, be sure the roll pin is driven into the gear drive at the motor input.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-18-2019, 03:23 PM   #13
brianshellhart

All pins are good. I have been experimenting a little I used a jack and took the weight off the follow side then used the motor to lift the other everything works fine until it has to take its weight. I did this until the leg was fully extended. Then lowering the unit at first was a pain cause I extended the leg to far but after about a half inch everything took off like it is supposed to.goes down fine and all by itself! Its going up it rat a tat tats now I would think its a weight problem but I have not changed or added any weight to it since I loaded it originally and have been using it for a year never had a issue lifting it before. Could it be a bad gearbox?
Old 01-18-2019, 05:09 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

It's possible you have a bad gearbox, but if you replaced all the gears and bushings, it should be OK. Have you made sure that your battery is fully charged and that the wiring from the battery to the motor (usually a pink wire) is connected properly with no loose or corroded connections? There is a 30 amp fuse "hidden" above the front cargo door in that pink wire. Hard to find and it may have corroded connections in the fuse holder.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-18-2019, 05:56 PM   #15
brianshellhart

It is a brand new battery all wiring is good fuse is good. When all weight is on my Truck legs go up and down but with a click and its not in the gearing I just replaced that gearing operates the way it should. The click was also not present as when I installed the gearing before putting weight on the leg I ran it up and down a couple inches first. Then I had to resquare the legs so they were both the same distance from top of shaft to bottom. It just fails to lift, the shaft the motor is marrys to does not spin the motor makes a rattles never blows a fuse but rattles. These are all brand new parts gearbox motor fuses gearing battery I have already vested easy $500 dont understand why it won't lift on it's own period. So outside of battery and a power supply what are your thoughts
Old 01-18-2019, 06:16 PM   #16
brianshellhart

Or could it be the motor do I need a 7000lb motor instead of 6000 with my dealership got for me and said was a match to the original on the unit witch stoped being produced
Old 01-18-2019, 07:43 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Some members with heavier fifth wheels (usually heavy pin weight toy haulers) with electric landing gear have installed a two motor system. Each landing gear leg has its own motor and both work on a "tied together switch" or can be activated individually (don't try to level the trailer using them, you can torque the frame and really cause problems.

You might consider installing that type of system. All you'd need is a "driven leg to replace the follower leg" and eliminate the drive rod between the two.

Without being there to actually see the system, my only thoughts are that the pink wire may not be heavy enough (is it getting warm when you activate the motor?) and can't deliver enough amperage to power the motor. If the wire isn't getting warm, then that's probably not an issue....

You might consider (as a test only) using a heavy gauge jumper cable to jumper from the battery to the landing gear motor to determine if the wiring and the switch is a problem. If, by jumpering directly from the battery to the motor input, the system works, it's the wiring. If the result is the same (motor lag/slow operation) then it's in the motor/landing gear.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-18-2019, 08:11 PM   #18
brianshellhart

To install one motor per leg system do I need a driver leg? I would think I would just have to order drive gearing another gearbox and I can only assume another battery and a motor. For the past year I have picked up and dropped this rig probably 50 times never had a issue now we are talking reengineering a design that never had a problem with one motor
Old 01-18-2019, 08:44 PM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Are you sure you didn't pull forward or back up and bend an inner leg that's now binding causing your problem??? If it's not that, then:

Some follower legs can be converted some can't I have no idea which brand, model or style of landing gear you have, so I can't even begin to guess whether your follower leg can be converted to a drive leg and/or what parts you would need. Each type is different, some can, some can't. That's a question for your RV parts dealer or if you have the information on brand/model, the etrailer.com sight should have the parts you'll need if it's possible.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-18-2019, 08:59 PM   #20
brianshellhart

No didn't hit anything at all very meticulous when it comes to loading transit and unloading of trailer like I said I have everything good the legs extend all the way up with help from a Jack goes down easy get a click every so often with no need of help. Mechanically to me it is sound. When I take the cross bar out and run just the drive leg on the motor everything is fine just won't lift both legs together

Tags
landing gear