Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2019, 03:37 AM   #1
w4jtn

cable slide making a popping noise.

My 2015 Laredo middle size slide just started making a popping noise as if it has hit something. It is binding somewhere and I can not figure out where. Need help.
w4jtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:01 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You don't mention what kind of maintenance you do on your slide system. Is this the first time you've even looked at it since buying the trailer or do you clean/lubricate/condition the slide seals and cables frequently?

Make sure that all the cable pulleys (top and bottom) are secure, that they are not pulled out of the wall mounts and that the cables are threaded through the pulley runs properly. Next check the seals to be sure they are in good condition and not torn or folding under causing the slide to "shudder". Then check the condition of the slide cables to be sure they aren't frayed or broken and are properly adjusted (tensioned) to support the slide in the center of the sidewall opening.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:59 AM   #3
xrated

Good advice ^^^^^^ John.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:26 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

John has given some excellent advice. For trying to troubleshoot, you need to identify exactly where the noise is coming from so you can eliminate some of the possibilities and zero in on a short list of potential problems.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:15 PM   #5
Tooth Ferry

Slide Cable Popping Noise

Some cable slides are moved by gearbox on top of the slide. The gearbox has a sprocket that looks like a bike sprocket. There is possibly a tooth broken off that causes the popping noise when it doesn't mesh with an opposing member. This occurs going in or out. The gearbox is fairly easy to replace as a DIY. I don't have access to my 5er right now and I don't remember who makes the gearbox. I would replace it before further problems arise in the box.
Tooth Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:22 AM   #6
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooth Ferry View Post
Some cable slides are moved by gearbox on top of the slide. The gearbox has a sprocket that looks like a bike sprocket. There is possibly a tooth broken off that causes the popping noise when it doesn't mesh with an opposing member. This occurs going in or out. The gearbox is fairly easy to replace as a DIY. I don't have access to my 5er right now and I don't remember who makes the gearbox. I would replace it before further problems arise in the box.
Just curious why you suggest replacing the gearbox with the sprockets on it that drives the chains......when that may not even be the problem?

Old 01-27-2019, 06:39 AM   #7
slow

A few other suggestions for areas to check:

* If popping mid position: adjust the cables per the manufacturer's manual (Narco) to ensure the chains/cables are not too loose. If they are, the blocks that are the interface between the chain and cables can "catch" on each other when they pass by each other.

* If popping when nearly fully retracted: check the opening in the aluminum frame on the wall where the cables enter the TT for wear. The end of the cable has a ferrule that can catch on the aluminum frame if not centered in the hole if the slide box is out of position side to side (due to the TT not being level?), the slide has dropped due to wear of the bottom wear strip / compaction of the carpet under the slide or the cables due not pull the slide "square" to the TT.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:45 AM   #8
gearhead

Could be several things, including all the above.
What is on the slide..a dinette, a couch, or the entire kitchen?
Look under the slide when it is open. Can you see rollers to support the bottom of the slide? If not, it will have a "wear bar" that the slide goes over. I believe that Keystone has some applications that are too heavy or too big for a wear bar and require rollers.
The only solution that mostly works is to spray lubricant behind the bottom seal. I found that "WD40 DRY LUBRICANT WITH PTFE DOES NOT ATTRACT DIRT" will help. Pull the bottom seal back just a little with your finger and use the nozzle tube to spray the entire length.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:53 AM   #9
slow

Gearhead’s comments reminded me of another potential contributor. The bottom seal can tear and pieces can get between the wear bar and bottom of the slide creating more resistance to movement.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:49 PM   #10
Tooth Ferry

slide popping

My reply comes from personal experience and from seeing this situation discussed many times on various forums.
Tooth Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:50 AM   #11
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooth Ferry View Post
My reply comes from personal experience and from seeing this situation discussed many times on various forums.
In my opinion, it's still no reason to replace something that might still be in good working order. Troubleshooting the cause of the noise is the most reasonable way to approach this, and any other issue. I've never used the "parts changer" approach to troubleshooting; I like to find the real issues and then replace what is truly the problem. To each their own though.

Old 01-31-2019, 04:35 AM   #12
larry337

My kitchen slide was popping. The motor and gear drive was stripped internally. I think I paid $98 for a new one and replaced it myself. And a cable snapped, $28 and replaced it myself also.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:34 AM   #13
w4jtn

Found problem. Need to replace gearbox. There is a striped gear inside the box. I lube the slide every three months. I also need to replace the lower wipe on the slide. The unit is still under extended warranty. Therefore I will let the mobile RV service do the replacing. I will also get another gearbox to have a spare.
w4jtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:36 PM   #14
bustersdaddy

We have a 2013 Keystone Outback,319 RLS: with 3 slides the Kitchen slide is the worst. It chatters and will trip the thermo relay, My dealer says it's "normal" because of the twisting of the frame and non-level location at setups.Apparently there is a wear bar of some kind of synthetic material. I have used multiple lubricates with no success.The bedroom slide, the smaller of the 3, has rollers. I am less than happy with the dealers,and Keystones actions.
bustersdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:12 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustersdaddy View Post
We have a 2013 Keystone Outback,319 RLS: with 3 slides the Kitchen slide is the worst. It chatters and will trip the thermo relay, My dealer says it's "normal" because of the twisting of the frame and non-level location at setups.Apparently there is a wear bar of some kind of synthetic material. I have used multiple lubricates with no success.The bedroom slide, the smaller of the 3, has rollers. I am less than happy with the dealers,and Keystones actions.

There are many threads and posts about "chattering", jumping and binding slides. If you have used "multiple lubricants" and they aren't the right type you have probably worsened your situation. Many increase the binding, chatter and jumping. Same goes for seal "conditioners". Had a slide cleaning, adjust and lube done at a dealer and when they gave it to me the slides would barely move because they had used the products off the shelf for the slides - I had to completely remove all the residue from the slides, wear bars and seals then use the proper products to get it to work. You might use the search function to look for posts about "slide jerking", slide jumping, slide binding etc. for additional info.

As far as being happy with Keystone's actions, I'm not sure what you would expect them to do for you with a 6 year old trailer? Seems to me they are out of the picture. The dealer on the other hand.......the jury's out on that one. Twisting of the frame and being out of level should not be an issue when you use the slides because you should have the trailer level to do those things....you are doing that, right? Also, there are wear bars under the slides and they do wear out...faster if you don't deploy the slides properly.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, slide