Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-08-2019, 10:03 AM   #1
blubuckaroo
Member
 
blubuckaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Ridgefield
Posts: 41
Stabilizer jacks during storage

We store our travel trailer in an rv storage facility.
I've noticed moqst of the travel trailers anas well as fith wheels use the stabilizer jacks there.
Why is that?
__________________

blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:13 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team
 
chuckster57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Modesto
Posts: 9,806
Probably personal preference. Not needed if your not looking for extra work. If you have autolevel then itís just as easy to hit autolevel once unhitched. Your choice.
__________________

__________________

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:30 PM   #3
blubuckaroo
Member
 
blubuckaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Ridgefield
Posts: 41
But the stabilizers aren't to be used for leveling.
Besides, why level it while stored?
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:32 PM   #4
ctbruce
Site Team
 
ctbruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 3,512
Personal preference too.
__________________

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:47 PM   #5
Wyldfire
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Middleton
Posts: 89
Maybe to defer theft? Be quicker to snatch one that have them up.
Wyldfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:16 PM   #6
NH_Bulldog
Senior Member
 
NH_Bulldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Henniker
Posts: 159
One issue with stabilizers down is that if tires deflate all the weight is on the stabilizers and you could bend the frame or stabilizers. Stabilizers are only to stabilize the trailer during use. If just storing there is no point it keeping it steady since it isn’t being used. Besides, just 4 more places for critters to climb up and try to find a way in.
__________________
Rob & Amy
2019 Passport 240BH SL
2015 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost SCrew 4x4 w/Max Tow Pkg
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:24 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: W. Texas
Posts: 7,556
^^^^x2 - this would be right IMO.
__________________
Danny & Susan wife of 52 years
2014 Ram 2500 6.4 4x4 CC
2014 Cougar High Country 319RLS
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:51 PM   #8
Customer1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 141
I can't think of any good reason to lower the stabilizers in storage. I've always wondered why people do so.

Why give rodents and pests additional access points?
__________________
2018 Cougar 26RBS
2016 Chevrolet 3500DRW D/A
Customer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:09 PM   #9
CrazyCain
Senior Member
 
CrazyCain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Commerce Twp, Mi
Posts: 816
I put them down in storage, but then again i use it every other weekend where i store it at and don't want to be out there in the snow ever time i go to the tin can cabin to stay the weekend..
__________________
TOM

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:39 PM   #10
xrated
Senior Member
 
xrated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: "Murvil, TN
Posts: 1,564
Another vote for NOT using them while the trailer is being stored. As stated above, if a tire goes flat, you could pretty easily damage the stabilizer(s) on that side of the trailer, plus the mention of another source of possible access for unwanted visitors.
__________________
2016 F350 King Ranch Crew Cab Dually Diesel 4x4
2018 Grand Design Momentum 394M
2014 Yamaha FZ09 (highly modded)
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:28 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 15,981
Consider "ground moisture" and its corrosion potential for steel stabilizer jacks that are "immersed in mud" for the winter storage season. I'd suspect they will not be "pretty painted jacks" in the spring. At least around these parts, they'd rust pretty quickly.
__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:04 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: W. Texas
Posts: 7,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Another vote for NOT using them while the trailer is being stored. As stated above, if a tire goes flat, you could pretty easily damage the stabilizer(s) on that side of the trailer, plus the mention of another source of possible access for unwanted visitors.
Just wanted to point out that the statement highlighted in red is a very real possibility. As one that has forgotten to raise his jacks before dropping the tongue on the hitch I can attest to the fact that the stabilzers (electric) are not meant to hold the weight of the trailer.....they WILL bend and look very funny, and not work, and cost a lot to fix.....
__________________
Danny & Susan wife of 52 years
2014 Ram 2500 6.4 4x4 CC
2014 Cougar High Country 319RLS
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:18 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Joppa, MD
Posts: 1,666
I guess I'm the odd man out here. I put mine down (I added one ahead of the front axle that matched the 2 from the factory) with a piece of pressure treated 2X8 under the pads. 1.Our unit sets on blacktop with PT lumber under the contact points.
2. I don't think any "critters" would be put off going another few feet to gain entrance.
3. I'm not concerned with a flat tire. Hasn't happened to me in yet (been camping about 20 years), maybe I've been lucky.
4. The reason I put the stabilizers down is wind and ice. One year I checked on the camper after a particularly nasty Nor'Easter ice storm and the tongue had slide over about 18". Thankfully the tongue jack did not bend, most likely due to the ice. So I figure having 7 solid surfaces will get me more friction resistance than one,
This is what has worked for me and as you can see others have their own thoughts so go with what you think will work best for you.
__________________
Marshall
2012 Laredo 303 TG
2010 F250 LT Super Cab, long bed, 4X4, 6.4 Turbo Diesel
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:50 AM   #14
Royalwapiti
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Sioux Falls
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I guess I'm the odd man out here. I put mine down (I added one ahead of the front axle that matched the 2 from the factory) with a piece of pressure treated 2X8 under the pads. 1.Our unit sets on blacktop with PT lumber under the contact points.
2. I don't think any "critters" would be put off going another few feet to gain entrance.
3. I'm not concerned with a flat tire. Hasn't happened to me in yet (been camping about 20 years), maybe I've been lucky.
4. The reason I put the stabilizers down is wind and ice. One year I checked on the camper after a particularly nasty Nor'Easter ice storm and the tongue had slide over about 18". Thankfully the tongue jack did not bend, most likely due to the ice. So I figure having 7 solid surfaces will get me more friction resistance than one,
This is what has worked for me and as you can see others have their own thoughts so go with what you think will work best for you.
I can see that, living in the windy plains it is very real the wind could move the RV. I am in my first year of ownership and I do not plan to put my jacks down but was thinking maybe they are trying to take the weight off the tires. I know motorheads who store collector cars on jackstands in order to minimize flat spots on the tires.
__________________
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb...

2011 Sprinter 255RKS
Royalwapiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:52 PM   #15
travelin texans
Senior Member
 
travelin texans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Picacho Peak Rv Resort
Posts: 2,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalwapiti View Post
I can see that, living in the windy plains it is very real the wind could move the RV. I am in my first year of ownership and I do not plan to put my jacks down but was thinking maybe they are trying to take the weight off the tires. I know motorheads who store collector cars on jackstands in order to minimize flat spots on the tires.
The stabilizers are not stout enough to ever raise enough to take the weight off the tires without damage.
__________________
Danny & Linda
Former '13 Redwood FB owner
Currently rvless!
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:15 PM   #16
Big1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: WA
Posts: 126
I don't do it, it's no need for me.
__________________

__________________
2018 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Diesel Cummins Turbo
2019 Jayco Eagle 321RSTS 5th Wheel
Retired Army MSG
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
jacks, storage

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RVģ is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×