Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2019, 04:17 PM   #21
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
Specifically with the F150, if properly equipped with the heavy towing and heavy payload packages (not typically found on dealers lots), these trucks are very capable at pulling a load. The EcoBoost is a torquey engine providing adequate power to the wheels to move the load.
Yup -- what I found is that they will pull massive loads all day, but the engine doesn't help the frame carry the tongue weight (payload) any better than any other half-ton. That's where the trouble lies.

Case in point is the recent "pull a train" video. They pulled with a "magic"* strap -- therefore, no tongue weight, and no problem.

Pull strength is simply not the problem link in this problem chain.

*I'm in awe of the breaking strength of this strap, whatever it was.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:20 PM   #22
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I have a 9k pound trailer and pulled it with a 1500 with tow package to start. Not a good experience. When I could get out of the 1500 financially. I upgraded to a 3500 SRW diesel. Night and day difference and extra capacity. In a word, dont let them do this.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:53 PM   #23
CaptnJohn

5 trucks back I pulled 7000# with an F150 with the tow package. The turbo was a great engine. That truck was maxed out safety wise. Glad I did not tow long with that one. Great truck but 7k is max without the new tow and payload packages.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:00 AM   #24
LynnGlaze13

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Watch the last post video. What's really bad if those guys would have just slowed by getting off the throttle, not braking they may have not crashed. It looked like all continued at speed as the trailer starting swaying.

The majority of them would have never gotten into trouble if they would have been driving slower.

The DRW in Wyoming? was blown over by winds IIRC. They were 60+ mph crosswinds and most of the tractor trailers were stopped because of it.
LynnGlaze13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:04 AM   #25
LynnGlaze13

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
That's exactly the point I tried to get across to them. Being a member of this forum has opened my eyes to a lot of situations that some rv owners never even consider. So now they have this truck that is not right for there trailer. Thanks to every member of this forum as I have learned a lot

So I guess they bought the 7 year old truck that doesn't fit their needs?

If they were buy an old used truck they should have gotten an SD/HD gas or diesel.
LynnGlaze13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:51 AM   #26
pdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You're going to get varied opinions on the suitability of a half ton truck to tow a 9000 pound trailer. Before you buy it, there's some things you should consider.

It's going to have a 10-15% tongue weight. That's 900-1350 pounds plus the weight of the hitch (usually 100+ pounds).

Now, since it's a bunkhouse model, I'd guess you have more than just your spouse that will be in the truck. Kids NEVER get lighter and as they grow, so will their weight AND the weight of the toys they want to take camping. What starts as a rattle and a teddy bear quickly turns into a tricycle, then a bicycle, then a motorbike, then an ATV. About age 9 or 10, they won't go camping (and remain pleasant) unless you allow their friend to tag along, so if you have 3 kids, expect to have 6 on most weekend camping trips. If you get the impression that your truck is likely to be "full seats", you're right. And every one of them adds weight which must be deducted from your payload....

So, with a 1500-1700 pound payload, 1450 pounds of trailer tongue and hitch, your spouse at 150, leaves 1600 pounds to deduct. Hopefully your kids, their toys, the generator, cooler, bikes and grill weigh less than the remaining 100 pounds of your payload.....

Hopefully, you'll realize before buying "too little truck" that a half ton is simply inadequate to tow a 9000 pound trailer AND carry the people and cargo that you'll have with a bunkhouse trailer.....
I know a person who the sales critter was trying to convince the ecoboost was a better engine in the F150 than the 2500 Ram Hemi. Yes, he too was told the big story about 9000 lbs weight. He opted to keep his hemi. He towed a 22 foot Lance...
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:59 AM   #27
pdaniel

I pulled a 36 foot Keystone Cougar "x-lite" (a misconception on the "lite" part) with a 2002 Dodge 2500 Cummins. I soon realized that a 2500 truck that old I was overweight in both tongue and CGWR. I upgraded when I was able to a 3500 with the HO Cummins and Aisin transmission with the factory fifth wheel package. It was a lot of truck for the trailer but I felt much safer in the 3500.
Well, we couldn't leave the fact we had a capable 3500 to tow with and upgraded to a 36 foot "extended stay" fifth wheel that comes in at 15000 GW. I still have cushion in cargo and gross combined.
The gist of my story is don't be content with a truck that will marginally tow a trailer you will purchase or currently own as, in my experience with 6 RVs, you will upgrade and the financial bite may limit you due to truck capacity. If you are able, get more of a TV than you need.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:29 AM   #28
Bamabox

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
WHAT!!! Just saw a video of a F150 electric truck pull a million pounds!!
Thought there wasn't anything they couldn't tow
Hahahahaha. Good one.

2015 Ram 3500 SLT 5.7 Hemi
Bamabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:25 PM   #29
FlyingAroundRV

Anyone contemplating purchasing an RV or a truck, or anything else for that matter should understand that sales people do what needs to be done to make a sale. They are somewhat guided by the buyer's intentions and budget, but ultimately, they want to make "the sale". It is up to us, the buyers to do our homework and know what we need.
That is where research is so important.
Caveat emptor. The sales person is NOT your friend. They are there for their own interests...only.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:53 PM   #30
FBO Cookie Monster

It’s easy enough to know. Add up everything including all people, dogs, groceries, generator, whatever. Subtract from the yellow compliance payload sticker on drivers door jam. With that number left over, divide by .13, and that is the approximate max LOADED weight you can safely haul. Of course check other weights like max combined vehicle weight, max axle weights, etc. But since payload is *usually* the first weight to get busted, it is a pretty good rule of thumb.
Some f150s have payloads that surpass 3/4 ton diesels. Shop the sticker. Look for the max payload package - NOT MAX TOW. Max payload will include max tow, but generally have to be ordered. They are capable trucks that can even handle some small fifth wheels.
FBO Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:26 PM   #31
bbells

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
A family member has a Keystone Summerland bunkhouse trailer. Don't know model but I do know it is 30' and about 7800 lbs dry. Last weekend they went truck shopping and while at the dealership called me to ask my opinion on a 2013 F150 6 cyl. ecoboost. Personally I thought the truck was not right for them but the salesman reassured them it was. Later I watched YouTube videos of people towing 9000 lb trailers. This is a truck that will take some long hauls. It is the payload that they don't understand. What are others opinions
It is definitely not enough truck. I had an 8 cylinder Lincoln Navigator and it was the most worthless tow vehicle I have ever owned. Not enough power and too short of a wheel base and too many problems. I got rid of it when the Ford dealer said it was normal to need a new engine at 80k.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:39 PM   #32
FBO Cookie Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbells View Post
It is definitely not enough truck. I had an 8 cylinder Lincoln Navigator and it was the most worthless tow vehicle I have ever owned. Not enough power and too short of a wheel base and too many problems. I got rid of it when the Ford dealer said it was normal to need a new engine at 80k.
A Lincoln navi is a totally different vehicle than an F150. Suspension, wheel base, etc. Not a worthy comparison imho.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:54 PM   #33
bbells

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBO Cookie Monster View Post
A Lincoln navi is a totally different vehicle than an F150. Suspension, wheel base, etc. Not a worthy comparison imho.
Actually the Navigator was built on the f150 frame plus had air suspension. It should actually be better than a stock f150 with an 8 cylinder.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:00 PM   #34
CaptnJohn

Bread is the same frame on every sandwich. Big difference between baloney and steak. Two different markets. Just like asking an F150 to do the same job as my F350 dually.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:07 AM   #35
travelin texans

Quote:
Actually the Navigator was built on the f150 frame plus had air suspension. It should actually be better than a stock f150 with an 8 cylinder.
IMHO neither are worthy tow vehicles for an RV of any size. For utility trailer, small boat or snowmobile/ATV trailer they're probably good, but something with the aerodynamics of a giant cinder block is a totally different task.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:28 AM   #36
FBO Cookie Monster

Quote:

Hmmm. I do not remember seeing leaf springs on a navigator. Or independent rear suspension on my F150. Not really the same, is it?
Old 08-09-2019, 08:29 AM   #37
FBO Cookie Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
IMHO neither are worthy tow vehicles for an RV of any size. For utility trailer, small boat or snowmobile/ATV trailer they're probably good, but something with the aerodynamics of a giant cinder block is a totally different task.

Many would disagree. Including me.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:30 AM   #38
FBO Cookie Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Bread is the same frame on every sandwich. Big difference between baloney and steak. Two different markets. Just like asking an F150 to do the same job as my F350 dually.

No, not really. Not at all actually. Even in the F150 line, there are three different frame lengths, and three different frame thicknesses.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:24 AM   #39
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

These threads get old real fast.

Can a 150/1500 pull a 36' trailer. Sure can. I did it. But it was a white knuckle experience the whole time and very stressful. Can a bigger truck do it better and safer. Absolutely, that is a no brainer.

If you want to or if you HAVE to use the half ton, then do so but dont suggest that this is the best solution to the issue. It simply isn't.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:54 AM   #40
SRD

This why we do our research

Payload is the issue here. The salesman told them this truck was rated to tow 9600 lbs and that's all they needed to hear. So the truck was purchased and owners were happy with their purchase. Payload was never discussed or even thought about. It can tow 9600 lbs and that's all we need to know. So now with trailer hooked up, the two of them in the truck a full tank of gas the payload is practically maxed out
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote