Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2019, 08:19 AM   #1
n0arp

Sidewinder vs Goosebox vs BD3+1621

We recently brought home a long bed DRW, and moved our Curt A16 into it, keeping the Sidewinder Airborne pinbox that we have on our fifth wheel.

Since we now have a long bed truck, I'm reconsidering our options. I see a few pros/cons with each of the options I'm considering and I'll list them below - but would like some outside opinions on the matter before I decide to make a purchase.

I've previously owned Pullrite Superglide, TrailerSaver BD3, and B&W Patriot hitches. The B&W is still sitting in the garage - despite the huge following it has, I'm not a fan of the latching mechanism on it and don't think the ride that impressive. The Curt rides just as well and I prefer the way it hooks up and disconnects, and the custom wedge for the Sidewinder fits tighter without causing issues (I also have the custom wedge for the Patriot). The BD3 may have soured my impression of any fixed hitch, and I'm considering another BD3 or TS3 as well.

Curt A16 + Reese Sidewinder Airborne
Pros:
  • Already own it, no purchase necessary
  • Tighter turns and closer tracking during turns
  • Since the pinbox doesn't move, you can pack stuff around the hitch when towing

Cons:
  • Noisy
  • Loses air quickly, at least compared to the BD3...
  • High maintenance - have to check torque every outing, lube often, drop and clean/inspect "seasonally"

Goosebox
Pros:
  • Clean bed
  • Ride may be an improvement over the Sidewinder
  • Quiet
  • Low maintenance
  • Doesn't require an external kingpin lock (padlock tabs, I believe, on the second gen)

Cons:
  • Requires ~$1200 purchase
  • Less maneuverable than Sidewinder
  • Might require frequent air fills and greasing
  • Requires quite a bit of space around the pinbox for movement in the bed of the truck - is it possible to store, say, firewood behind the connection when towing?

Other: I don't think hookup will be an issue because of the cargo cam on my Ram.

Trailer Saver BD3 or TS3 + Lippert 1621
Pros:
  • Probably the best riding hitch on the market
  • Low maintenance
  • Really like the latching and jaw mechanism

Cons:
  • Requires ~$3K (new) or $1K (used) purchase
  • Heavy and takes up room in the bed
  • Less maneuverable than Sidewinder

If I end up changing hitches, I'll list the the other hitch stuff for sale and make some or all of my money back on the new setup.

I'm sort of leaning towards the 2nd gen Goosebox, #94716.
n0arp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:50 AM   #2
Don_T

If you get the Goosebox you can sell the hitch and pin box you have now and get back most of the cost. I used to have the B&W Companion hitch, now I have the Goosebox Gen2. I am happy I made the change. I have not lost any air so far. I carry hoses, power cords, and blocks for leveling in the truck bed. I have a tank/tool box combo for small stuff and tools. Tie your stuff down and you will be fine.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:59 AM   #3
n0arp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_T View Post
If you get the Goosebox you can sell the hitch and pin box you have now and get back most of the cost. I used to have the B&W Companion hitch, now I have the Goosebox Gen2. I am happy I made the change. I have not lost any air so far. I carry hoses, power cords, and blocks for leveling in the truck bed. I have a tank/tool box combo for small stuff and tools. Tie your stuff down and you will be fine.
How are you liking the ride of the new hitch?

Looks like we have fairly similar rigs, too. Since that is the case, can you see the ball well enough for hookup using the cargo cam on your Ram (if equipped)?

Can you get to 90° with it? I found a few people with Ford trucks that said they could not.

Anything else I should know?
Old 07-10-2019, 12:05 PM   #4
n0arp

I ended up ordering the 2nd Gen 20K Goosebox (Reese part #94720) and the Curt #60618 GN kit for the Ram puck system. Looking forward to getting them installed and listing the Sidewinder, Curt A16, and B&W Patriot 16K on Craigslist.

Even though we won't exceed 16K, it's likely we're going to exceed the 3200lb pin on the 16K model.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:47 PM   #5
Don_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0arp View Post
How are you liking the ride of the new hitch?

Looks like we have fairly similar rigs, too. Since that is the case, can you see the ball well enough for hookup using the cargo cam on your Ram (if equipped)?

Can you get to 90° with it? I found a few people with Ford trucks that said they could not.

Anything else I should know?
I can see the gooseneck ball through the cargo camera just fine, which is good as I can’t see it looking through the rear view mirror.

I wonder why the Ford trucks you refer to can’t turn 90* with the Goosebox. The distance from the center of the gooseneck ball to the center of the pin box mount on the camper is the same as the distance from the pin to the mount on the original pin box. I had to go a full 90* with a ‘16 F350 long bed I had with the original pin box and I had no problem doing so. I believe I can do the same with my Ram 3500 long bed. I wonder if the Fords you referenced were actually long beds?

Be aware, the Goosebox is heavy and the bolts take a lot of torque. If you are doing the install yourself have a good 1/2” or 3/4” torque wrench handy. I installed mine myself by putting it in the truck bed with the end of it propped up on the tailgate. I tied it down there with a ratchet strap. I backed the truck up under the mount and raised/lowered the camper to get bolts in.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:49 PM   #6
n0arp

Quote:
I can see the gooseneck ball through the cargo camera just fine, which is good as I can’t see it looking through the rear view mirror.

I wonder why the Ford trucks you refer to can’t turn 90* with the Goosebox. The distance from the center of the gooseneck ball to the center of the pin box mount on the camper is the same as the distance from the pin to the mount on the original pin box. I had to go a full 90* with a ‘16 F350 long bed I had with the original pin box and I had no problem doing so. I believe I can do the same with my Ram 3500 long bed. I wonder if the Fords you referenced were actually long beds?

I don't have the thread in front of me, but I believe they said the back of the pinbox would hit the rails on the side of the bed at full lock... not the trailer hitting the cab.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:52 PM   #7
Don_T

Quote:
I don't have the thread in front of me, but I believe they said the back of the pinbox would hit the rails on the side of the bed at full lock... not the trailer hitting the cab.
I didn’t think about that, thanks for the heads up. I will check that out next chance I have.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:01 PM   #8
n0arp

Quote:
I didn’t think about that, thanks for the heads up. I will check that out next chance I have.

Come to think about it, though - that doesn't really make sense as it doesn't stick out rearward and should have the roughly the same horizontal distance from wings to ball as the 1621 does to the kingpin. I wonder if they have a tonneau cover or something that sticks out into the bed - I know on my old low profile cover, the rails came out enough that I could see them being an issue.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:25 AM   #9
Don_T

Quote:
Come to think about it, though - that doesn't really make sense as it doesn't stick out rearward and should have the roughly the same horizontal distance from wings to ball as the 1621 does to the kingpin. I wonder if they have a tonneau cover or something that sticks out into the bed - I know on my old low profile cover, the rails came out enough that I could see them being an issue.
I think you might be on to something there. I don’t believe I have any clearance issues with mine.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:35 AM   #10
sandy43

Don T, I have a GooseBox, really nice set-up. Hooking up, getting in and out can be a little problem. You mentioned a cargo camera. I want one. Where and what kind did you get? Any and all info on cargo camera's is greatly appreciated. Thanks

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:43 AM   #11
n0arp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy43 View Post
Don T, I have a GooseBox, really nice set-up. Hooking up, getting in and out can be a little problem. You mentioned a cargo camera. I want one. Where and what kind did you get? Any and all info on cargo camera's is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Cargo Cam is an option on the new 2019 Rams.

There is a guy on Youtube who posts tons of videos about the hitch, and uses a camera in his bed both for hooking up and filming the videos. I think he's sponsored by Reese because they seem to be sending him the hitches in exchange for the videos. Should be easy to find him - he discusses the camera he uses in one of them.

Seems like there are quite a few options on Amazon.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:32 AM   #12
spade117

Quote:
Cargo Cam is an option on the new 2019 Rams.

Also available on 2018 versions.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:15 AM   #13
Don_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy43 View Post
I have the factory cargo camera, that's what I was referring to. I don't have to get into the bed of the truck to hook/unhook the camper. I can easily reach the handle on the end of the cable while standing on the ground.