Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2019, 06:51 AM   #1
Dan Lockwood

Air Bags?

Good morning all, hope you had a great weekend...

I have a '12 RAM DRW 6.7L diesel.

I've done a quick search here for air bags, but no threads came up.

As most know, the older the vehicle, the less the tow capacity specs are. I wish my '12 RAM had the same weight towing specs as a new RAM, but I'm not paying another $50k to get them, at least not right now.

"IF" I get the urge to upgrade, how much do the air bags add to the towing capacity of the truck, weight wise? I know it won't give me any more power in that respect, just wondering if it's worth the effort and $$$'s.

My truck drops 2.5" to 3" when I hook up.

Any thoughts?

Thanks and have a great week!
'09 Harley CVO Road Glide
'76 Harley FLH Shovelhead
Dan Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:04 AM   #2
frankyb01

Well, the short answer would be none. Air bags help tremendously carrying the weight that your vehicle is currently rated to handle. You can't really legally increase the GVW of your vehicle with aftermarket add-ons. Now having said that, I will add that people do it all the time. I have two concerns about doing so. One is you could conceivably over stress some part of the vehicle without realizing it until it is too late, such as brakes, axles, etc. The other issue is the possibility of getting pulled across a scale. I haven't heard of the being an issue with RV's yet, but I'm guessing it's only going to be a matter of time before local municipalities start pulling RV's across scales right along with commercial trucks. If they do they will look at the GVW number on the door sticker and if you are over that you'll get dinged. It won't matter what assessories you may have added. Again I haven't heard of it happening yet, but you never know.
U.S.A.F. (ret.) 1976-1996
frankyb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:27 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Zero ADDED wt carrying capacity as was stated. They can help with leveling the truck. I have them installed on my truck with solenoids and gauges at the rear of the bed and inside the cab. Also have an onboard high volume compressor and air tank for operating train horns so the air bags inflate very quickly. I use them to hitch/unhitch and for me run ~30 psi going down the road. I don't need the 30 psi for squatting, it just rides better in my opinion.
For hitching, raising/lowering the hitch with the air bags is much faster than the tongue jack. Before unhitching I crank up the air to say 80-90 psi, deploy the electric trailer jack, unlock the hitch ball and dump the air. It takes seconds to hitch/unhitch.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:32 AM   #4
travelin texans

As Frank said, they will add absolutely nothing to your carrying capacity or payload. Actually will subtract from your payload as you will add a static 50-60 lbs to your truck. They will however level up your sagging rearend if that's the issue, sorry not getting personal, I meant your trucks rearend.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:23 AM   #5
Dan Lockwood

Thanks guys for sharing your insight on air bags.

I would think that even though I'm quite level now, it was not fully loaded, the truck or toy hauler, so having a slight bit of leveling available with air bags may help the ride a bit.

I know that "legally" there's no additional towing capacity with air bags. But having them for the sake of leveling might be worth the money.

I can install them and have a big air compressor in my home garage and also have a 6g/150psi compressor that's already in the front storage compartment of my RV.

Thanks again.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:40 AM   #6
Ken / Claudia

My trucks always drop with a rv hooked up, these HD truck suspensions are made to do that. One reason the rear comes from the factory higher then the front. Here's my take in general terms. If the truck rear is now lower than the front when hooked up, maybe air bags would be a benefit. Also the reality is as the rear suspension is compacted by a heavy load, the truck does ride rougher. On my last 2 fords I had air bags and aired up enough to just have the overload springs engaged, truck sat level and yes the whole truck was lower than without a load but, level. That was the ride my back liked the best. Common for me to use around 20 psi to get there.
As said you do not get more weight rating, just level.
Your last post came in as I was typing. Sounds like air bags may be the way to go, The nice part is you will adjust them to the ride you want. You will find too much air and the ride is as I say like sitting on a beach ball, bouncing way to much, not enough and your back or body maybe real more sore at the end of the trip. So what if they can hold 65psi and you end up using 20psi only, they are still doing their job.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:12 AM   #7
Northofu1

If they are original shocks, I would get new upgraded shocks. Especially if there was no issue when TV was newer. It also depends how the ride is without trailer in tow.
If you go to the airbag system, I would upgrade that to the compressor install on TV.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:35 AM   #8
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankyb01 View Post
Well, the short answer would be none. Air bags help tremendously carrying the weight that your vehicle is currently rated to handle. You can't really legally increase the GVW of your vehicle with aftermarket add-ons. Now having said that, I will add that people do it all the time. I have two concerns about doing so. One is you could conceivably over stress some part of the vehicle without realizing it until it is too late, such as brakes, axles, etc. The other issue is the possibility of getting pulled across a scale. I haven't heard of the being an issue with RV's yet, but I'm guessing it's only going to be a matter of time before local municipalities start pulling RV's across scales right along with commercial trucks. If they do they will look at the GVW number on the door sticker and if you are over that you'll get dinged. It won't matter what assessories you may have added. Again I haven't heard of it happening yet, but you never know.
Few years back the DOT in BC was pulling Rv folks over with portable scales. They seemed to be focused on campers rather than trailers, but I heard some stories of trailers having to be left at the side of the road.

Seems to have died down though.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:37 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

Here come the legal experts! DANG I LOVE THIS LEGAL STUFF. Just a thought in a semi-coherent moment.... truck is 8 years old. Don't know if Ram has leaf springs or springs/shocks. Could these components be TIRED? Shocks and springs do get replaced now and again. I had airbags on my F250 but never used to inflate them much as they weren't needed but your trailer is about twice as heavy as mine so heck, change the rear suspension components (and front shocks if you have them) just to update. There is probably some sort of Ram truck forum where folks can head you to the right direction. You also didn't mention miles on that truck... what type roads you run.... those things take a toll on suspension components.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 04:36 PM   #10
rhagfo

Well depends on how you are referring to "Air Bags".
If you are referring to add on air bags, they add nothing to payload. They will help to level your truck, then it is your choice to use GVWR, or go by rear GAWR.

If you are asking if the Air suspension on newer Rams same Payload as leaf springs (14,000# GVWR), but they auto level the load. Cost is about $1,500 option.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:01 PM   #11
mtofell

Airbags don't increase your numbers but help you tow up near the max much more easily and potentially safely.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 11:54 PM   #12
Big1

I thought about adding air bags my truck only drop about 1.5' but I know that they will ride a little better so I might still add them.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 03:19 AM   #13
Dan Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Here come the legal experts! DANG I LOVE THIS LEGAL STUFF. Just a thought in a semi-coherent moment.... truck is 8 years old. Don't know if Ram has leaf springs or springs/shocks. Could these components be TIRED? Shocks and springs do get replaced now and again. I had airbags on my F250 but never used to inflate them much as they weren't needed but your trailer is about twice as heavy as mine so heck, change the rear suspension components (and front shocks if you have them) just to update. There is probably some sort of Ram truck forum where folks can head you to the right direction. You also didn't mention miles on that truck... what type roads you run.... those things take a toll on suspension components.

Just a little background on me. Before I got into the plastics industry, I was a service manager at a Chevy/Pontiac dealership in mid-Michigan and have been a gearhead all my life. So I'm just getting back into the RV genre and you guys are great with all of the varied experiences that you're sharing, thanks muchly!

George,

I've only had my truck for a couple months. I wasn't really going to purchase a truck until nearer my retirement at the end of the year. But while looking, I found this '12 and it's in great shape, but has lots of highway miles. The original owner was a construction supervisor for a nation wide company and did LOTS of driving empty. But when needed, he had the truck to do it. He said it was overkill to have a 1 ton, but liked the looks of it. He traded it in on a RAM 3/4 ton.

So miles are at 160k, but probably 90% of those empty. I realize that miles are still miles, but it does ride quite nicely. I have noticed though that when backing out of a drive with a curb, the front end bounces just a bit. So I will be putting on new HD shocks on all four corners before I do my long hauling in mid-winter and spring.

The dealership I purchase my RV from said that he expected my truck to drop over 3", but it didn't go that far and he was surprised. He has a similar RAM that he drives and hauls with. I trust his opinion. He's a good friend of my son. My son said that he's as honest as the day is long.

Right now hooked up empty, like I said, I'm level. But when loaded it may drop just a bit more and having some "assist" with add-on air bags, not air suspension, would probably be a big help. My truck unhooked is sitting the same as the newer trucks, slightly high in the rear. I highly doubt that my springs, front or rear are in dire need of replacement.

I know someone suggested for the drop I put on upgraded shocks, but shocks do not raise or increase lift, just slow down the motion in a very controlled manner. I do not even plan on researching any type of an air shock, as my experience decades ago with them was not that great. Although I'm sure today's technology is greatly improved.

So just getting opinions on the add-on air bags to see what the general consensus is on them.

For under $300 I can get them and install them myself, if I decide to do so.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:18 AM   #14
ChuckS

With the miles on the truck if shocks are factory they are overdue for replacement. New shocks will settle down the bouncing and help with tire wear...

Airlift system... yes I have a Firestone 5000 setup on my GMC Duramax short bed.. had dealer install it with on board compressor when I bought truck new..

It levels up the truck if I put a heavy load in the bed... I run them empty at about 20 psi and about 55 psi when I tow my fifth wheel...

They do nothing regarding weight capacity increase over factory sticker weights... And I could care less... the 5000 system levels up my truck when needed and that’s what I care about...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:16 AM   #15
Northofu1

I know someone suggested for the drop I put on upgraded shocks, but shocks do not raise or increase lift, just slow down the motion in a very controlled manner.
Certain makes do lift the vehicle, the Bilstein's in my 1500 were raised 2", I think they have a model that can lift 4", not sure about other manufacturers. I mentioned it because it is the cheapest option to start with, I put the airbags in first, then the shocks and found out I didn't need the airbags the new shocks did the job and the set up was level when loaded.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:44 AM   #16
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
I know someone suggested for the drop I put on upgraded shocks, but shocks do not raise or increase lift, just slow down the motion in a very controlled manner.
Certain makes do lift the vehicle, the Bilstein's in my 1500 were raised 2", I think they have a model that can lift 4", not sure about other manufacturers. I mentioned it because it is the cheapest option to start with, I put the airbags in first, then the shocks and found out I didn't need the airbags the new shocks did the job and the set up was level when loaded.
Other than air shocks I've never heard of a standard shock being able to raise a vehicle 2" let alone 4"????
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:53 AM   #17
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Other than air shocks I've never heard of a standard shock being able to raise a vehicle 2" let alone 4"????

They were a very smooth ride and dampened so much more than the OEM shocks that came with the 1500.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:20 AM   #18
wiredgeorge

If shocks are shot a truck can sag even with no load. If you have over 100K miles on a truck with the original shocks, good chance new shocks will restore the ride and original ride height.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:01 AM   #19
hankpage
Site Team

Dan, I have air bags on my 2500. I am a little bit anal about my headlight adjustment and seat attitude. (don't mess with my seat position ) Before hitching I measure bed-rail height from ground, then measure again after hitching and loading. (about 2" drop) I increase pressure in 5psi increments on each side until I am at unloaded height. I have adjusted pinbox and hitch to be level at this height ... rides great and I can see the road and not blinding oncoming traffic. I keep 5-10psi while solo as recommended by Firestone that does not effect ride very much. JM2¢, Hank

Shocks that I have seen for 1 ton trucks stating 2" or 4" lift are just that .... for trucks with modified suspension ...2" or 4" lifted.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:29 AM   #20
jsb5717

I find the air bags very helpful. I don't need the lift for leveling and the truck handles the weight without them. However, it does make the ride a little smoother by removing most of the bounce. The bounce isn't big but the air bags make it go away for a more pleasant ride. I do use the bags for lift when pulling in and out of my driveway. The extra 1"+ that I gain is the difference in the landing gear dragging or not
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote