Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2019, 03:55 AM   #1
docwade87

Brake issue/service issue?

Brake issue...
I just bought 2017 Cougar 28RLS from General RV. Have had it 6 weeks and have been on 4 trips (~800miles total since I’ve had it). On second or third trip maybe 3 weeks ago noticed metallic noise in wheel area and made an appointment for service. Service was scheduled for this past Tuesday. Didn’t have any major issues or noises for next trip. Brakes engaged and felt like they worked appropriately. After trip this past weekend, I was stopped in my cul-de-sac to back trailer into my driveway, let off brake, no movement like brakes were engaged. Gave it little gas to get it moving and loud pop happened. I drive 40k lb vehicles for a living so this isn’t my first time with long and heavier vehicles so driving wasn’t sporadic, braking and speed well controlled. Get it to dealer two days later for appointment and they diagnose it and the entire braking assembly, bearings and back plate were all broken. I called keystone and they said that the backing plate is not something that typically brakes, and stated something seems off. The dealer agrees it shouldn’t just happen with normal use, and state it was bad luck. I tried pressing the potential of there being predisposing factor to lead to this issue that should have potentially been caught during inspection. They too agreed and stated that they would not have passed it and would have had to fix it prior to me getting it. So now I’m out $500 on top of their outrageous processing fee with a month in. They are unwilling to help with cost. I have tried everything I can possibly think of. They are sticking to their guns that there wasn’t anything wrong at all with it when they sold it to me. Anyone have any idea of what I could have done to cause this so I don’t do again? Anything else I should try, change or be aware of while dealing with dealership with this issue? I am baffled and frustrated.
docwade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 04:01 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I would skip Keystone and approach the axle manufacturer, there may be a longer warranty period. IMO $500 for replacement of one backing plate assembly is a bit steep.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 04:09 AM   #3
docwade87

I am going to reach out to dexter on Monday. The backing plate special size was $280 (I personally verified price from dexter as well and on amazon). Then the whole braking assembly needed replacement and the bearings were bad. Plus an hour worth of labor which they gave me $30 off to “help me out” smh.

Somehow all this happened in a month...they state it wasn’t there when they sold it to me and wouldn’t have if it was noticed...
Old 09-28-2019, 04:12 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

With all the other stuff I guess that’s a fair price. Some dealerships will do an axle service on anything used, we do. Others will just “ship it” and come up with excuses. I have no idea which category your dealer falls into. We played heck last month trying to get a dexter 10” drum with 6 lugs.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:14 AM   #5
docwade87

I’m assuming from what I’ve been told (by them) they do bare minimal and then charge everyone a $1200 “processing fee” as well.....tried to get around that but was not successful. Not too happy with experience.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:18 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Processing fee? What do they process? I wouldn’t be very happy either.

If it’s a PDI fee even that seems a bit out of line. After this I would be looking elsewhere that’s for sure.

Old 09-28-2019, 04:22 AM   #7
docwade87

Exactly my arguments to them. They state they spend hours going through all major parts of the camper to make sure they work and will fix anything that’s found defective (refer, slide, ac, electrical, water heater, furnace). In reality it’s just a catch all (administrative fee) to cover their costs of their employees hourly rates so they have minimal to no out of pocket expenses. I surely will be going elsewhere next time. I bought extended warranty for 4 years but am thinking of going back and returning it. What’s your take on that? I figured I could go elsewhere for service potentially and save money or do it myself possibly.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:27 AM   #8
busterbrown

Dexter is very good with warranty claims. I had 2 leaf springs fail on my trailer including 1 brake assembly on a new axle last year. No questions asked; just spoke to the telephone rep and he asked I fill out a simple claim form each time. The leaf springs were fedex'd to me the next business day. The brake assembly needed replacing on the SW trip last spring and they reimbursed me completely with just a copy of my receipt. Good company to deal with.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 04:50 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

I was under the impression that Keystone stopped using Dexter axles several years ago and that all their "XLite" and "UltraLite" chassis are using Lippert axles beginning "sometime around 2016".. So, doublecheck the axle tags to make sure which manufacturer you're dealing with.

That said, the axle, brake assembly, hub, bearings and even the seals (IMHO) should be covered by Dexter, but they state "One year for seals". Here's the Dexter warranty link: https://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/defa...).pdf?sfvrsn=6

In the event that you find your axles are Lippert, here's the link to the Lippert axle warranty: https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...2017_final.pdf Lippert recently announced a change from 4 years to 6 years on all their "spring suspension axle assemblies" so you should find that Lippert will also cover this under warranty.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 04:54 AM   #10
docwade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I was under the impression that Keystone stopped using Dexter axles several years ago and that all their "XLite" and "UltraLite" chassis are using Lippert axles beginning "sometime around 2016".. So, doublecheck the axle tags to make sure which manufacturer you're dealing with.

That said, the axle, brake assembly, hub, bearings and even the seals (IMHO) should be covered by Dexter, but they state "One year for seals". Here's the Dexter warranty link: https://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/defa...).pdf?sfvrsn=6

In the event that you find your axles are Lippert, here's the link to the Lippert axle warranty: https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...2017_final.pdf Lippert recently announced a change from 4 years to 6 years on all their "spring suspension axle assemblies" so you should find that Lippert will also cover this under warranty.
Thank you! Our unit has a built date of 2016 so that could be why it’s dexter still. Only issue is that I’m not original purchaser. Bought used.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:55 AM   #11
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I was under the impression that Keystone stopped using Dexter axles several years ago and that all their "XLite" and "UltraLite" chassis are using Lippert axles beginning "sometime around 2016"..
My OEM axles on my 2017 were Dexter. Will be at the big fall RV show in Novi, MI next week. I'll look under a few Passport, Bullet. and Cougar coaches to confirm.

Old 09-28-2019, 05:17 AM   #12
docwade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
Dexter is very good with warranty claims. I had 2 leaf springs fail on my trailer including 1 brake assembly on a new axle last year. No questions asked; just spoke to the telephone rep and he asked I fill out a simple claim form each time. The leaf springs were fedex'd to me the next business day. The brake assembly needed replacing on the SW trip last spring and they reimbursed me completely with just a copy of my receipt. Good company to deal with.

Good to know. Only issue I may run into is I am not original owner...
Old 09-28-2019, 05:40 AM   #13
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwade87 View Post
i did read the Dexter warranty and it does declare coverages for the original owner. However, the warranty claim just asked for a VIN and model year/brand. Unlike Dometic appliances (as I had with my Atwood HWH where I had to email a copy of the purchase agreement to them), Dexter didn't require this documentation. You may get lucky. But, I just read that brake components are only warrantied for 2 years.

"Dexter warrants to the original purchaser that its electric/hydraulic brake actuators shall be free from defects in material and workmanship for a period of two (2) years from the date of first sale of the trailer incorporating such components."

Old 09-28-2019, 05:41 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwade87 View Post
That may present a "roadblock". Still, IMHO, it's worth trying. Even if they don't cover it, at least they'll know there was a failure and can enter that data into their "reliability database" which may (or may not) help justify engineering improvements for the next trailer you buy.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 05:47 AM   #15
docwade87

Good to know! Thank y’all for all of your help!

I reached out to another local dealer whose keystone recommended. Got in direct contact with their service manager and she stated she’s pretty sure that the backing plate is covered under EW. She is looking into it now. She was very very helpful and I will surely use them in near future instead of current dealership (General RV). She agreed as well that backing plate want just go bad or break and that bearings and braking assembly shouldn’t just all go out at same time as well.

I also did find out that our state vehicle inspection requirements only require inspector to remove two wheels of any vehicle, camper etc to view two brakes and axles as long as it’s one front and one back; it doesn’t specify if it has to be on same side or different sides. Lots of grey area....
Old 09-28-2019, 06:21 AM   #16
Just chillin

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
My OEM axles on my 2017 were Dexter. Will be at the big fall RV show in Novi, MI next week. I'll look under a few Passport, Bullet. and Cougar coaches to confirm.
I have a 2019 premier 26RBPR and it has Dexter axles.
Just chillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 11:59 AM   #17
Ken / Claudia

Wait a second, you bought a 4 year warranty and none of what you list is covered? I could see brake pads and bearing not covered, but if the backing plate broke and caused the damage, whats the fine print say?
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 05:31 AM   #18
jsmith948

My take would be that the wheel bearing came loose and/or failed. This caused the drum to come in contact with the edge of the backing plate - which, in turn, caused the backing plate to break loose.
Luckily, it didn't happen at freeway speed.
An added thought - I wonder if all of this occurred on one of the wheels that were inspected?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:11 AM   #19
Roscommon48

gosh, gee a heck of a long paragraph to figure out what is going on.

if you have a warranty this surely should be covered.

keystone, since this is a used trailer will not help you with replacement stuff.

it is the dealer who you need to push to get things done. Still not clear what the $500 was for???? what the heck is it anyway.

personally, i don't believe everything went bad on your axles, bearings usually do not have an issue.

lastly, talk to axle people, I assume you have dexter. (800) 835-9211

good luck.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 02:24 PM   #20
Frank G

Read your 4 year warrantee. Read and understand the clause that states you must perform all maintenance and inspections according to the manufactures recommendations. Yes, you must return to the sellers dealership and pay to have all these services performed and supply the said receipts to collect on warrantee work. Also read carefully what is not covered. You might find it to your financial advantage to turn in the 4 year policy, and put the money in your trailer maintenance account. Avoid future disappointment.

Turning in the extended warrantee is like cutting the heart out of your dealer. They keep about 20 to30% of the initial sale as there writing fee. This is why they have to do the refund. Next, to maintain the service the policy states that they most do all the scheduled inspections and maintenance. It's the dealers cash cow. My dealer handed us a 4 year schedule, we needed to show up every 6 months.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote