Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2018, 04:40 PM   #1
Time2travel

'18 Montana 3701LK rear dragging issues and how to fix

When backing into our driveway, not only does the receiver on the back dig into the driveway, but I noticed that the entire crossbar that the receiver is bolted to also has no paint left on it. I had to pull the trailer straight into my driveway because my trailer wheels were barely touching the ground, the unit was on the receiver. Help, I need to do something, my thought was to remove the hitch assy and weld on roller wheels?
Time2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:33 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Before you cut the receiver off your trailer, you might try these: https://www.etrailer.com/Skid-Wheels...iABEgIKqPD_BwE
They will attach to the hitch receiver tube and should offer enough "go slow or rip them off" protection to get you over most inclines.

Before the "age of slides on all trailers" most travel trailers were much lower to the ground, had 15" tires and anything over about 25' would drag the rear bumper on most roads with a slight incline. Back then, almost every trailer included either this type of roller or a bumper roller (won't work on your trailer since you don't have a rear bumper). The "clamp on 4" bumper wheels" were a pretty good addition back then, but with today's "flimsy bumpers" I don't think they'd last very long. https://www.etrailer.com/Skid-Wheels...SABEgKTG_D_BwE

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:42 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Having installed both solid and rubber coated wheels on customers units, I’d recommend the solid ones. I’ve seen the rubber peeled off the rollers if they hit the ground “sideways” and don’t spin around fast enough.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:01 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Having installed both solid and rubber coated wheels on customers units, I’d recommend the solid ones. I’ve seen the rubber peeled off the rollers if they hit the ground “sideways” and don’t spin around fast enough.
^^^ Completely agree !!! The first link (2.5" U-bolts) is for steel wheels. I wouldn't consider anything else. And even with them, go slow, they will "carry a lot of weight" but they won't survive 5 tons of sideways force (10,000 pound RV) over bouncing driveway gutters unless you take it slow and easy......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:00 PM   #5
rhagfo

I would
Look at throwing some 2x6s or like at low point to avoid the rear dragging as it puts a lot stress on the frame.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:09 PM   #6
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Before the "age of slides on all trailers" most travel trailers were much lower to the ground, had 15" tires and anything over about 25' would drag the rear bumper on most roads with a slight incline. Back then, almost every trailer included either this type of roller or a bumper roller (won't work on your trailer since you don't have a rear bumper). ]
Oh, man, This brings back memories of my grandpa's old '88 Terry 29' quad bunk model (probably 33' total length). That one had a quad bunk in the back and a murphy type bed couch in the front, just to the right of the entrance. That thing sat so low in the rear it dragged the ground virtually everywhere and in response he had installed steel swivel type rollers. I also remember him ripping off one of the old triangle style "bumper" they used to put on the rear of the frame just before actual bumper. And the crazy thing it was all due to how low it sat. He had driven semis earlier in his career and was incredible skilled at backing and maneuvering- he could put that 29' footer virtually anywhere-- but he could not avoid scraping the rear! Ha.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
montana