Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2019, 12:53 PM   #1
linux3

Silverado vs. Tahoe

First, I am not a truck person..... Sorry.
I first bought a Ford Explorer Sport EcoBoost to pull my TT. Really bad choice.
It had lots of power but just not enough structure.
Now I have a Silverado with the 5.3 and 3.42 gears. It's a good choice because we put ~9K miles a year wandering through America. But I'm not a truck person.
I'm thinking about a Tahoe with the trailer package. It has a class 4 hitch, 5.3L V8 and 3.42 gears. Mostly like my truck BUT... it's 13 inches shorter. Will this make a difference?
My wife and I go to camper shows and talk about how everything else is not as good as what we have. We have NO plans to replace our perfect Passport 195RB.
We put lots of miles on and a Tahoe would be much more comfortable and it aint a truck.
I'm looking for real world info. Do you have a Tahoe?
What are you pulling?
How many miles?
Thanks.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 03:30 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Linux, I do not have a Tahoe but I've owned one along with an Expedition and many mid sized SUVs. My son drove Tahoes exclusively for a period of time. I hope someone may chime in with hands on experience with your setup but;

I think the Tahoe will do fine with your trailer. Not so much with large trailers but the 195rb at 23' is below the line that would start being a real problem for a Tahoe sized vehicle...to me. With a gvw of a little over 5k it should do just fine with that as well. These are my personal observations/opinions but I don't think you have an issue at all...just use a good WDH/sway control. The shorter wheelbase is what will get you with an SUV so make sure you have the sway; put on LT tires if you can. No larger than your trailer is the P rated tires on the Tahoe would probably "get you by" but LTs would sure improve your towing experience.

Now....not a "truck" guy? Come on, I thought everyone was a truck guy at heart. How does one haul "stuff", bring home the firewood, carry off the junk to the dump, etc., etc. etc. etc.??? I'm thinkin' keep the truck since it works well for you and gives you the benefit of all the things a truck can do then just buy the SUV for those "other" trips. That's what we do and it's the best of both worlds...and I don't have to have a large SUV to transport me, DW and puppy to all the places we like to go....it just has to be 4x4. Good luck on your choice and purchase - I think you'll be fine (JMO) if the Tahoe is what you want to do in your particular situation.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:51 PM   #3
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
We put lots of miles on and a Tahoe would be much more comfortable and it aint a truck.

Thanks.
Rob-
To answer your question, the Tahoe should handle your Passport just fine. Your Passport is sufficiently short enough that the shorter Tahoe shouldn't have a problem.

I am highlighting a portion of your post because I wanted to point out that the Tahoe probably isn't going to be "much more" comfortable than the truck at all. They share platforms and are built on the same frame, so they will have nearly identical ride and handling characteristics. They are both BOF so they will both ride and drive "like a truck". My point is that you will likely be disappointed by the lack of "extra comfort" provided by the Tahoe over the old Silvy, and would possibly regret the lost $$ . If you were comparing a 2500 HD to the Tahoe? Absolutely. But not the 1/2 ton to the Tahoe. Just my 2 cents. YMMV.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:46 AM   #4
notanlines

Rob, keep this in mind: When all the "truck guys" in the neighborhood gather, cold beer in hand and talk about rollin' coal, icing the Prius, and so on you'd be right at home with the Silverado. On the other hand, when all the soccer moms gather with a small glass of zin and chat about the traffic problem at the school zone......Well, you get my drift!
Yes, I'm just poking a little fun at your expense. I believe both Degrad and Danny have made good points.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:16 AM   #5
linux3

Actually with the Max Tow package the Tahoe has a different, air ride, suspension and does ride better.
However, to get the options I want / need there is nothing in the Tahoe line.
I like heated cloth seats, I don't care for leather. Got them in my Silverado.
Even if I option the Tahoe LT and live with leather seats I'm looking at over $60k to get a little better ride and the scorn of notanlines and all the truck guys. LOL.
I'm keeping my $60k and my paid for Silverado.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:30 AM   #6
German Shepherd Guy

Linux3, I tow with a Suburban. Longer wheel base than the Tahoe but otherwise the same. I also like the ride better than a truck. Mileage is the same, I believe, so there is an option for you if you feel the Tahoe is a tad short. More opportunity for the tail to wag the dog using the Tahoe. Also the extra room inside the Suburban does come I handy if you need to go to the supply store and get 8ft sheets of plywood. They fit right in.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:35 AM   #7
Bama Hammer

I towed our passport 2400 with a Tahoe for about a year. Had no issues with power at all, the down side was the vehicle length. Granted, my 2400 is longer than your 19, but I felt pushed around on the highway and in strong winds. I pulled the same trailer with a Silverado and the "pushed around feeling" went away. I would recommend getting a good anti sway system and put some solid tires on your Tahoe and you will be perfectly happy. Also, get some extended towing mirrors. In my opinion those are critical! If you have any more specifics feel free to DM me.
Bama Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
silverado