Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2019, 07:56 PM   #1
Nomadicchefs

Furrion speaker help

I have a 2018 hideout 28RKS and my indoor left front speaker is blown. I won't be able to replace it for a while,but was hoping to possibly disconnect that one speaker somehow. It's very loud and distorted. Furrion was no help, nor was keystone. Any ideas to help me achieve this?
Nomadicchefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:09 PM   #2
Kylemcmahon1

Disconnect sorry.
Kylemcmahon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:21 PM   #3
wobly

In our previous trailer, I went to Wally World and bought 2 sets of car speakers. 4 total. They were pretty cheap. I replaced all 4 speakers in the ceiling and they sounded much better than the stock ones.
I wouldn't fight with Furrion.
wobly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:46 PM   #4
Nomadicchefs

I understand replacing them is the best option, but HOW do I disconnect just the one blown speaker? Take it from the ceiling and wire nut that tiny wiring? I have some electrical knowledge.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:43 AM   #5
Northofu1

That's it,, remove, tape up wiring, replace grill/speaker. While you have the speaker out, measure radius and depth as it will come in handy when ordering. I know polk audio from Crutchfield comes in regular and shallow sizes of same models.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:15 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

I would suggest not using it until you have time to investigate or replace it. Amplifiers don't like sending out power without a load. The only way to safely do that would be installing a resistor to absorb the load. Your head unit should have a switch to turn the front speakers off "'A" and still use the back "B". Speakers.
The speakers are typically attached to the wires by crimp on spade lugs. Seems to me the logical move would be turn off the "A" speakers until you can order or stop by Wal-Mart and get replacements. You will be doing the same amount of work and time to "tape off the wires" as you would to replace the speakers. Replace both speakers on the front or rear so the amplifier has a balanced load.
Don't be surprised if you replace the speakers and still have the issue. The head units (radio) in RVs are notoriously inferior units and may be defective. The only way to know would be swap the left and right speakers and see if the problem follows the speaker. In my opinion, the money to buy replacement speakers wouldn't be wasted if is the head unit is defective as the speakers that come in most campers are junk. JMHO YMMV
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:22 AM   #7
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I would suggest not using it until you have time to investigate or replace it. Amplifiers don't like sending out power without a load. The only way to safely do that would be installing a resistor to absorb the load. Your head unit should have a switch to turn the front speakers off "'A" and still use the back "B". Speakers.
The speakers are typically attached to the wires by crimp on spade lugs. Seems to me the logical move would be turn off the "A" speakers until you can order or stop by Wal-Mart and get replacements. You will be doing the same amount of work and time to "tape off the wires" as you would to replace the speakers. Replace both speakers on the front or rear so the amplifier has a balanced load.
Don't be surprised if you replace the speakers and still have the issue. The head units (radio) in RVs are notoriously inferior units and may be defective. The only way to know would be swap the left and right speakers and see if the problem follows the speaker. In my opinion, the money to buy replacement speakers wouldn't be wasted if is the head unit is defective as the speakers that come in most campers are junk. JMHO YMMV
I would be shocked if one of those IRV head units had more than 14 watts power

Old 01-06-2019, 07:50 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
I would be shocked if one of those IRV head units had more than 14 watts power
I agree, however; if anything that would make the amplifier even more susceptible to a no load condition. The lower powered, cheaper units do not have the circuitry a high end unit would have to protect against no load, over load, impedance imbalances, over/under voltage conditions etc.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:31 AM   #9
Nomadicchefs

I thought of simply putting the sound to the rear speakers but that isn't an option on this junk furrion. Only left or right. I put it at right but it's distorted as well, and seems like it's too much sound for just those 2 speakers. The issue with the blown speaker doesn't seem to produce bad sound all the time, only when there are low tones, bass, deeper sounds, etc and then it just rumbles and over powers the actual sound coming from the other speakers. As for furrion, the only thing they told me was "don't allow a blown speaker to play for much longer or will overheat and cause a fire."
Old 01-06-2019, 08:39 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Not knowing what head unit you have, I'd suspect it might have a front to rear fader if it doesn't have an A-B switch. That being said, if it were mine, I would start with replaceing the speakers as I said earlier it wouldn't be wasted money IMO.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:49 AM   #11
Nomadicchefs

Can I just swap out the speakers or do I have to run new wire to the player? I have the dv3100 if it helps. I've had blown speakers in my car but never heard of one actually starting a fire. I'll grab replacements today. I just didn't want to start something if I didn't know how to see it through, to avoid surprises. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-06-2019, 09:18 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

No need to swap wires to the player unless they are defective (if a mouse chewed through them). Never heard of a speaker causing a fire but i guess it's possible .
I've been a self proclaimed audiofile since the late 1960's. I've installed many a system for myself (currently have 3 big screen tv's in the house with 7.1 surround systems for each) and for friends. I've also replaced the radio's and speakers in every vehicle and boat I've ever owned and for friends. I've also upgraded amplifiers back in the day of transistors by installing larger bridge diodes, transistors, rectifiers etc. This doesn't make me an "expert" by any means, just experienced. If you get stuck feel free to message me and I'll be glad to try to assist. Good Luck!
Old 01-06-2019, 09:21 AM   #13
Nomadicchefs

Quote:
No need to swap wires to the player unless they are defective (if a mouse chewed through them). Never heard of a speaker causing a fire but i guess it's possible .
I've been a self proclaimed audiofile since the late 1960's. I've installed many a system for myself (currently have 3 big screen tv's in the house with 7.1 surround systems for each) and for friends. I've also replaced the radio's and speakers in every vehicle and boat I've ever owned and for friends. I've also upgraded amplifiers back in the day of transistors by installing larger bridge diodes, transistors, rectifiers etc. This doesn't make me an "expert" by any means, just experienced. If you get stuck feel free to message me and I'll be glad to try to assist. Good Luck!
That's awesome, thanks!! I'll probably message for help once I get into it.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:29 AM   #14
Northofu1

The other alternative (The one I have chosen) is to not use it, buy a sound bar and sub-woofer for inside the trailer. Outside the trailer I use my phone and a nice Blue tooth speaker option. Easier to turn up and down. These are the cheaper alternatives.
Very little wiring, easy to remove when trading in or selling.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:27 AM   #15
DBTexas

I have read with interest all the discussion on this thread. I have a 2018 Montana 4811MS, and I am quite unhappy with the sound system it came with. I am considering replacing all the speakers in hopes of better sound quality. But I am also now interested in replacing the 'head' unit (as it has been referred to in this discussion) for a higher quality system. My current system has 3 2-speaker zones (main, bedroom, and outside). Can anyone recommend a good replacement? Thanks!
DBTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:42 AM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBTexas View Post
I have read with interest all the discussion on this thread. I have a 2018 Montana 4811MS, and I am quite unhappy with the sound system it came with. I am considering replacing all the speakers in hopes of better sound quality. But I am also now interested in replacing the 'head' unit (as it has been referred to in this discussion) for a higher quality system. My current system has 3 2-speaker zones (main, bedroom, and outside). Can anyone recommend a good replacement? Thanks!
The only radios that I'm aware of that are 12 vdc and would fit in the space are designed for rvs are not that great. Jensen is a popular brand their web site is https://www.asaelectronics.com/rv.html
You can measure your current opening (many are double DIN) and match a unit to the hole or alter the opening if your handy. A receiver for automotive use typically will perform better but won't have the 3 speaker option. You could use one and add a speaker control to accomplish this.
I replaced the OEM radio in our unit with a Jensen unit and found it suitable for our needs. We typically use it for the tv sound and use the radio to mask exterior noises when leaving the dogs behind. Typically don't use the exterior speakers and when we do it's at a very low volume as we respect the neighbors sanctity (and sanity). YMMV
Old 02-26-2019, 09:05 AM   #17
Nomadicchefs

Quote:
I meant to get back to you earlier about this issue, but when I took the screws out of the ceiling to take the speaker out and look at its wiring, I put it back up with only 2 screws and went to pick up the replacements. I haven't swapped them out yet, but I noticed that by only having the 2 screws or by loosening them all just a bit, the rumbling and busted sound hasn't happened anymore. Also, there was no actual damage to the speaker (torn, etc). Should I still swap it out or you think it was just a fluke? The sound is great.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:24 AM   #18
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

Almost sounds like you need a port in the ceiling, near the speaker, to alleviate back pressure.

Very good observation on your part.
HitFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:51 AM   #19
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicchefs View Post
I meant to get back to you earlier about this issue, but when I took the screws out of the ceiling to take the speaker out and look at its wiring, I put it back up with only 2 screws and went to pick up the replacements. I haven't swapped them out yet, but I noticed that by only having the 2 screws or by loosening them all just a bit, the rumbling and busted sound hasn't happened anymore. Also, there was no actual damage to the speaker (torn, etc). Should I still swap it out or you think it was just a fluke? The sound is great.
Given this bit of information, perhaps the frame of the speaker is slightly warped/twisted when all the screws are used and that puts the voice coil in a bind?

It would not surprise me, given the quality/cheapness of the OEM speakers.

I replaced my indoor speakers with a pair of Kenwood 3 way speakers, from Crutchfield and think they were less than $60. In order to maintain the original trim rings I used a dremel tool to cut the backs out of the stock speakers and mounted the new ones inside them.

The sound was much improved, but the kids got me a really nice bluetooth speaker and we only use the system for listening to music, so it has not been turned on since then.

-Brian