Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-09-2019, 06:13 PM   #1
schoolsOut

Luan sandwich - not so tasty

So I posted last year about my "Kitchen slide leak" that destroyed the luan sandwich floor in my Outback. I wanted to update things, but did so in a new thread because my old thread title was no longer accurate. My apologies if I am approaching this incorrectly. Here is a link to the original thread:
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=33253
As I continued to dig into the problem and repair flooring, I have discovered that although I first noticed the problem in the kitchen area, I am nearly certain that the leak originated at the outside kitchen hatch. The outside kitchen door frame is held into the wall with screws that are on the weathered side of the weather seal. Any moisture that lays in that door frame wicks down through the screw holes right into the floor then works its way into the camper (the screws go through the frame, right into the luan sandwich). From what I could tell, the screws were not sealed when installed. This area of the camper was by far the most rotted. Here is a close up of a screw after I reinstalled the door and siliconed the screw hole. Another pic that shows how many of these screws there are - you can see them just outside the weather strip.

As I described in the previous thread, I repaired the flooring using 1/4" aluminum. Unfortunately, I just found that I am not finished...I pulled up the flooring to prepare to replace it and found the rear bedroom floor rotted as well. As you can see from the picture, the rot emanates from the outside kitchen area which is on the other side of the entertainment center wall. You can actually see the "radius" of the rot with center at the outside kitchen.

So this "leak" has rendered my otherwise very nice camper worthless. I tried to submit an insurance claim but was denied - this was before I discovered the exact source of the leak, but I'm not sure it would make a difference. Anyway, I hope this information can help someone else track down the source of a water leak, or better yet, possibly do some preventative sealing to prevent a leak.

schoolsOut is offline   Reply With Quote