Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2019, 05:18 AM   #41
spade117

The mirrors on my 2018 Ram also have the power fold in button.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:36 AM   #42
EricHarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by msp2jxr View Post
In IMHO the best feature on the Ford is the side mirrors that fold in with the push of the button,and use them frequently.. camp grounds, going into the garage and parking in parking lots. I will fold the mirrors in so people won't hit them walking by the truck. When I looked at Dodge and Chevy they didn't even offer them when I was looking. It is now a must on my check list.
I test drove a 2018 Laramie yesterday. It had power folding mirrors. Not power extending, but power folding. I don't know if that came standard with the Laramie or if it as an add-on, but it was definitely there.
EricHarmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:49 AM   #43
SkiSmuggs

If no one mentioned it, be sure to get the fifth wheel prep package which gives you a lot of options for hitches and will leave your bed clean when the hitch is removed. Plus the integrated brake controller and in-the-bed umbilical connector.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:58 AM   #44
MrEnto

Get the supplemental heating element

Thread too long to read but consider the electric heating element for the cab. Produces cabin heat while waiting for the antifreeze in the system to warm.
MrEnto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:15 AM   #45
dsttexas

When I went looking for my new 2017 truck, downsizing just a tad from 1 ton dually to 1 ton SRW, I discovered the Ford was a good 3 inches taller than the Chevy, both bed and cabin roof. For me that was a deal breaker as I would have had to have trailer axles adjusted to keep it from riding high in front while maintaining at least 6" bed rail to RV overhang clearance. And get this, it wouldn't even fit under by 7Ft garage opening. And that was without the offroad package that raises it even more.

I don't know if the dually Ford sits lower than the SRW but something to check out to make sure. Chevy and Ram both sit lower than Ford that I know.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:30 AM   #46
Brantlaker

I have a 2016 F350 DRW 3.73 rear 4X4 and I row a 18,000 lb 42 ft 5th wheel. I have traveled over 35,000 miles towing across the USA up and down mountains. and never had a problem. the only thing that I would add would be a slide in camper set of springs you will not need Air Bags with them. You will have downhill descent with the tow-hall and engine breaking. the other thing that I have ordered was the 5th wheel tow pkg with the hitch every thing is in a neat clean floor and hookups in the bed.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:40 AM   #47
Howie

with your weight you will not need the 4.10 and remember you will get slightly lower MPG if you do have the 4.10. I upgraded to a F350 this year and it has the skid plates, etc. I don't remember ever needing them in the past with my other trucks but having them is just a little bit of insurance for the unexpected like driving on the beach, hitting a hole and hitting a rock putting a little dent in the plate. Just saying..........
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:56 AM   #48
Todd727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
I wasn't aware that the F350 could be had with the wide stance axle. I thought that was only available with the F450.
Not at all. You an order it at any dealer. I had a 2014, they did not offer the wide-track on the 350 that year. I know have a 2019 450.

The wide-track front end has come and gone from the 350 several times. It used to be called the Tow Boss.

I would never own another narrow track, crew cab, long bed truck again. My turn radius is outstanding, but it really shines for those of us that pull trailers. People that have never experienced it, will never appreciate the difference it makes when backing a 40' fiver into a tight campground.

Skid plates protect the underside of the engine and transmission. I always order with the FX4 and the Camper package. Cheap way to get the plates, shocks and max springs.

Here is the link to the the order guide if you don't already have a copy:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...8&d=1520123486

Go through this and highlight the options. Much more info and much easier to present when ordering your truck than using the online Build & Price.

Finally, look into seeing if you qualify for X-Plan.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:18 PM   #49
glendar10

Let me start by saying the truck has great toys I just bought a 2019 250 king ranch. Buy I axe one mistake when I bought it and tha was using Joe CottonFord. I gave them thebooklet for a keystone half ton 29rksand ask to set it up so I would have the payload to haul the fifth wheel. Well just for your information they have no idea what they are doing.i. Ow have a fully loaded 10000 diesel 3.55 sb that only has a payloadof 2029 lb. that said i pull 14700 but can not put it in the box. Just to show you how dumb they are the salemanger tried to tell me that first the yellow tire sticker weight ment nothing ant then said my payload was the vin number white sticker. He was reading me the pound for the rear axle and saying it was payload. So now jam stuck with a f250 that is under weight and they will do nothing to help. Except to say you cantowthe trailer no problem no one will check payload. Watch Ford you will find. Any RV people that had the same problem with sale and Ford headquarters says its up to the dealer as they have nothing to do with dealers as all are I dependent contractors. When you go to pick up the truck just look at the tire sticker and that IS the payload fort at truck not what it Ford’s books at least the. You don’t have to pay for something you cannot pull with.
You will love the toys that they have and would be great if Ford knew what the resale people were doing screwing the customer with information on RV and mainly fifth wheels
glendar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:18 PM   #50
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendar10 View Post
Let me start by saying the truck has great toys I just bought a 2019 250 king ranch. Buy I axe one mistake when I bought it and tha was using Joe CottonFord. I gave them thebooklet for a keystone half ton 29rksand ask to set it up so I would have the payload to haul the fifth wheel. Well just for your information they have no idea what they are doing.i. Ow have a fully loaded 10000 diesel 3.55 sb that only has a payloadof 2029 lb. that said i pull 14700 but can not put it in the box. Just to show you how dumb they are the salemanger tried to tell me that first the yellow tire sticker weight ment nothing ant then said my payload was the vin number white sticker. He was reading me the pound for the rear axle and saying it was payload. So now jam stuck with a f250 that is under weight and they will do nothing to help. Except to say you cantowthe trailer no problem no one will check payload. Watch Ford you will find. Any RV people that had the same problem with sale and Ford headquarters says its up to the dealer as they have nothing to do with dealers as all are I dependent contractors. When you go to pick up the truck just look at the tire sticker and that IS the payload fort at truck not what it Ford’s books at least the. You don’t have to pay for something you cannot pull with.
You will love the toys that they have and would be great if Ford knew what the resale people were doing screwing the customer with information on RV and mainly fifth wheels
Salesmen: It doesn't matter if they're RV salesmen or truck salesmen, if their lips are moving, verify what you hear !!!!! We've all heard, "Sure, your truck will pull anything we have on the lot" and now we're hearing, "Sure, our truck will pull anything they have at the RV dealership." ....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:16 AM   #51
dnapisumop

Why dually

I have a 2015 F350 Platinum single rear wheel fully loaded except snow plow pkg, and been pulling my 40ft 2016 Alpine 3511 RE all over this country... with no issues, 3.73 gears and barely know it’s behind me... I am looking to move up to same truck, newer year, sell for 44k only has 65k miles...
dnapisumop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:36 AM   #52
notanlines

Eric, you might also look into Ford's under bed puck system. It is quite an expense for the adapter plate for your hitch; about $600 I believe. Hopefully Demco has different mounting brackets for sale. Others will probably chime in here with more experience.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:23 AM   #53
youngb

Just a thought and comment on 4:10 gears. If you really don't need them then why would you order them as all you will be doing is paying more to fill up. The truck rpm will be higher at 60 mph and you pocket book lighter as you will be filling up more often and have a less mileage range. Keep in mind the above will apply even when you are not towing.
youngb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:25 AM   #54
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendar10 View Post
I NEVER, NEVER trust a salesperson!!!
One must do their homework to get a the correct TV!
The salesman was partly correct in his statement that the truck can tow it, as it has a large towing capacity, BUT you will be over the 10,000# GVWR to do it. In addition in my opinion they should have pushed you to a long bed. That and at least a F350 SRW, to get the VIN with a higher GVWR.

The "Weight Police" on this forum are well meaning, and looking out for members best interest. No, you don't need a DRW to carry/tow your 5er, but you should have been directed to a F350 SRW.

You cover the situation in your post, yes the F250 will carry and tow your 29rks. Based on your stated 5er weight of 14,700# your have a bigger problem than your TV! Now that is not a great description, But I looked at the Keystone site and found a Cougar 1/2 Ton 29RKS with the following specs;

Key specifications - HALF-TON 29RKS FIFTH WHEEL

Shipping Weight 8,700#
Carrying Capacity 1,700#
Hitch 1,605#
GVWR 10,400# Calculated
Length 32' 10"

So if it is truly scaled at 14,700# your 5er is 4,300# overweight! way worse than the 300# to 500# you will be over your TV GVWR.

Sorry for your situation, but maybe you can get the dealer to swapp for a F350, if you don't have many miles on the truck, of course it will cost you a few more dollars.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:25 AM   #55
jimborokz

IMHO, I would recommend the FX4 package as it's not too expensive for what you get. Also the factory fifth wheel prep package is cheap at $375 and leaves you with a clean bed when the hitch is removed. I have the 6.7 turbo diesel in a 2017 F-350 with 3.55 gears and it pulls my 40' Montana with ease thru the hills of VA and NC (as in I-77) I get 12 pulling the rig and 17 around town, you probably won't get that with 4.10's. The 4X4 is priceless when you really need it and here's one for you, I use the low range when manipulating in tight back in situations as it gives higher rpm and smoother more controlled movements at low speeds. OH yeah, and I consider the aluminum body a bonus. I just hate rust.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford