Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2018, 05:13 PM   #1
Smiggle

Cougar Half Ton 26RBS

We're considering upgrading from our 2013 Premier 22RBS to the Cougar Half Ton 26RBS. It has a better layout and gives us more space. We had been considering the Grand Design Imagine but this unit has a better layout.

Some questions:

- In the outdoor kitchen, there's a grill rather than burners. Has anyone used this? Can it replace a gas grill?

- Have there been any upgrades to the entertainment center since 2023? Bluetooth?

- It has a king bed. How have you made the standard mattress more comfortable?

Thanks for your feedback.
Smiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:33 PM   #2
TheGriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiggle View Post
We're considering upgrading from our 2013 Premier 22RBS to the Cougar Half Ton 26RBS. It has a better layout and gives us more space. We had been considering the Grand Design Imagine but this unit has a better layout.

Some questions:

- In the outdoor kitchen, there's a grill rather than burners. Has anyone used this? Can it replace a gas grill?

- Have there been any upgrades to the entertainment center since 2023? Bluetooth?

- It has a king bed. How have you made the standard mattress more comfortable?

Thanks for your feedback.
I can't help with your first two questions. Regarding making the mattress more comfortable? My DW got 2 or 3 inch memory foam topper, and it made a big difference as far as comfort. Just one thing I didn't like...I sunk into it, and it was an effort to simply roll over in bed while sleeping. I'm no small guy, but hardly a monster either.

Hope the insight helps.
Mike

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:38 AM   #3
notanlines

Smiggle, what Mike ^^^^ said. It becomes a chore to roll over on a cheap mattress, even more with a topper.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:35 AM   #4
RoscoeV

I have the Cougar 26SABWE with the king mattress and it sucks. I'm looking to purchase one of these three in the next month or so. (72x75)

https://www.mattressinsider.com/inne...-mattress.html

http://www.rvpartscountry.com/8.5-Th...Mattress.html#

https://www.us-mattress.com/corsican...ss-custom.html
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Pathway X2 with DISH Wally
RoscoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:20 PM   #5
RickBetterley

We just purchased a 2018 26RBS. Joanie wanted a king bed and so it was easy to narrow down our choices.
No experience yet, though, as we take delivery in May.
My understanding about the outdoor kitchen grill is that it is intended to replace a free-standing grill. Which is fine if you don’t prefer charcoal, I suppose.
But I am so new to this I may not have any insights worth listening to. Give me a few more months!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RickBetterley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 02:59 PM   #6
Smiggle

Thanks for your replies. We brought our 2018 Cougar 26RBS home on Thursday and have been "playing" with it in our driveway. I'll post pictures soon .
Old 04-09-2018, 04:09 AM   #7
WNY Bullet

Congratulations on the new purchase! We are looking forward to seeing the pictures...
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:13 AM   #8
sealyin

We went with the 8" LUXURY GEL FOAM RV MATTRESS W/ORGANIC COTTON from mattress insider. BEST mattress we have ever owned. Will be replacing our home mattress with the same thing when it wears out.
sealyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:32 AM   #9
Smiggle

Thanks Sealyn. That does look good. We are going to try a mattress topper on our first trip this week and see how it goes.
I'll post pictures from there.... Harpers Ferry KOA. Trying to get somewhere a little warmer than here.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:08 PM   #10
Stanimal

We have a 2015 Cougar and love it. The Sealy mattress that came with it is good but the DW and I both have bad hips and it wasn't great for us. We just added the gel/foam 3" topper from Costco and love it so much we are getting two more for other beds at home.
Stanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:25 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiggle View Post
Thanks Sealyn. That does look good. We are going to try a mattress topper on our first trip this week and see how it goes.
I'll post pictures from there.... Harpers Ferry KOA. Trying to get somewhere a little warmer than here.
This is just my opinion. Mattress toppers are a temporary fix to me. RV mattresses suck. You have to find something that works like home. "Toppers are a stop gap at best", they are an improvement over the cheapo that came in the trailer but not "nice". Forget the topper, find a GOOD, quality, full size mattress that fits your trailer and be done with it. Tried 2 "toppers", no use to us.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:45 AM   #12
Smiggle

Stanimal, we had our first trip in it last week, and found that the mattress with a 1" topper worked for us, too. We'll check out that 3" from Costco, too.
We loved everything about the camper --- we enjoyed the 2013 Premier for 5 years, but this one is so much more comfortable.... the couch, the stove, the leveling system, the bathroom.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:47 AM   #13
Wyldfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanimal View Post
We have a 2015 Cougar and love it. The Sealy mattress that came with it is good but the DW and I both have bad hips and it wasn't great for us. We just added the gel/foam 3" topper from Costco and love it so much we are getting two more for other beds at home.
Same here. Love that topper.
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:20 PM   #14
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
This is just my opinion. Mattress toppers are a temporary fix to me. RV mattresses suck. You have to find something that works like home. "Toppers are a stop gap at best", they are an improvement over the cheapo that came in the trailer but not "nice". Forget the topper, find a GOOD, quality, full size mattress that fits your trailer and be done with it. Tried 2 "toppers", no use to us.
Agree went through the same scenario with our TT. Just bought a good mattress. Simmons Beautyrest "bowling ball mattress". NICE!

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:32 PM   #15
Smiggle

Love everything about this camper!

We are in the middle of a two week trip to the Canadian Maritimes provinces and must say we are SIL with this camper. Everything about it is a little bit better than the last model. It has automatic leveling, a longer awning with lights, a big tv, a comfy couch, hydraulic life for under bed storage, a bigger and better shower and bathroom.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0073.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	16992.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:54 AM   #16
Lowell_iii

2019 26RBS Mattress.

We just bought our TT last week to replace our Minnie Winnie. Our mattress solution was to get a tulo king size. Since it comes decompressed it opened perfectly into the 74.5 inch opening at the top of the bed. We are debating as to whether to get a longer piece of plywood at the bottom of the bed.
Lowell_iii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:20 PM   #17
LHaven

We have a 26RBS as well, and we immediately replaced the stock mattress with a custom-sized Tochta. Sleeps wonderfully.

One warning: the mattress, as well as all the "heavy item" storage areas in the 26RBS are well forward of the axles, and there is practically no storage behind the axles, so watch your tongue weight carefully. We're paying the price for this now.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:35 AM   #18
Dave Gamble

We have a '19 26RBS and you have gotten plenty of answers regarding the mattress, so I'll take a shot at the other two.

The grill is pretty, but there are a couple of issues: it heats unevenly, so you have to shuffle things around to get them all evenly cooked, and it is a terrible mess to clean. DW says its easier if I spray PAM on it first, FWIW and YMMV.

The entertainment center and the inCommand both support bluetooth, although I have recently had trouble getting the entertainment system to accept my iPhones bluetooth. I find it far, far easier to just use a USB stick, but I have songs on my phone that can only live on my phone (Amazon Prime Music) and would like to get the BT to work again.
Dave Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar