Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2018, 06:53 PM   #1
CampingNut18

Cabinet issues

We have a 2017 Outback 5th wheel 29frs and are having issues with 5-6 cabinet doors splitting and cracking. Obviously we are out of warranty but had one replaced while under warranty. Anyone else out there had issues like this w the doors? We are now fighting w dealer and keystone to get fixed
CampingNut18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:11 AM   #2
dcg9381

Photos?
Had some issues with doors coming open during travel, which contributes to a bunch of bad things on the cabinet doors...
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:30 AM   #3
ZDoak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingNut18 View Post
We have a 2017 Outback 5th wheel 29frs and are having issues with 5-6 cabinet doors splitting and cracking. Obviously we are out of warranty but had one replaced while under warranty. Anyone else out there had issues like this w the doors? We are now fighting w dealer and keystone to get fixed
I have a 2015 2015 277 RL (barely used) and about 4 cabinet doors are completely split. They can't even close. I was here seeing if anyone else has had the same problems. I'll post pictures of mine tomorrow. What has keystones defense been when you talked to them.
ZDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:20 PM   #4
bobbecky

If the rig is out of warranty, it's likely you will have no luck getting this issue resolved through your dealer or Keystone. To save the stress dealing with this, find a local cabinet shop and run the rig to them so they can measure, and have new doors made, maybe all of them if you want them to match, and have them install the doors. I think you will be much happier in the long run, and you can even customize the doors with glass or anything else you can think of.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:24 AM   #5
jsmith948

Have you given any thought to repairing them?

Get two or three bar/pipe clamps - I like Stanley or Bessy - and some TiteBond II wood glue. After you have the piece clamped up, wipe off the excess glue. After the glue cures (overnight) carefully scrape off any excess glue then sand to 150 grit (or better) then refinish with a matching stain. Will cost you a little time and you'll have the satisfaction of having done it yourself.

Or, buy new doors - it's your money

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:10 AM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Have you given any thought to repairing them?

Get two or three bar/pipe clamps - I like Stanley or Bessy - and some TiteBond II wood glue. After you have the piece clamped up, wipe off the excess glue. After the glue cures (overnight) carefully scrape off any excess glue then sand to 150 grit (or better) then refinish with a matching stain. Will cost you a little time and you'll have the satisfaction of having done it yourself.

Or, buy new doors - it's your money
I totally agree! All your out is a little time & a bottle of glue.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:45 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I have to chime in here with the others. On a 2015 model Keystone isn't going to have anything to say....it's yours.

I'm also thinking that the bar clamps and Tite Bond might do the trick. I'd go at least 220 grit. Depending on the damage you may want to strip them and re-stain, or, I've had great luck mixing stains to match projects I work on; but then again I've got about 40+ cans of various stains to mix and match until I match it; if one straight out of a can won't work. Get some veneer of the same kind of wood to test it on.

On the other hand, a cabinetmaker can probably fix you up as well; just reach in the wallet and open wide.....
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:20 PM   #8
UltimateRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingNut18 View Post
Yes. I have a 2017 Outback 210urs and our cabinet door over the sink split. We purchased the $800 warranty but it expires next month. Keystone has sent two new doors from their woodshop but the stain color is 'caramel' and not close to the original brown color. I called Keystone and they told me the color is called 'hard maple brown', but so far they are failing to match the color they used in the 2017 cabinetry produced by them.
UltimateRV is offline   Reply With Quote