Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2020, 01:59 PM   #121
ATLHammer

Hey everyone, I'm posting here because it seems to be the best thread on the subject so I thought I'd continue the flow of information in one spot.

We're new to RV'ing and recently purchased a 19ft TT last Wednesday on 5/20. We've been researching like crazy and buying up all sorts of accessories which lead me to EMS devices. I originally purchased a normal surge protector but quickly decided that wasn't enough and haven't even opened the box. I then purchased a portable Southwire 34931 and wireless display and those got here yesterday (they look great btw). However, after more reading I'm now convinced that a hardwired EMS is the way to go because of the chance of theft. I feel like we have enough to worry about when traveling, we don't need to always be thinking about properly locking up the EMS at the pp.

I'm leaning towards the Southwire 35530 and Display over the PI HW30C. mainly because of the display. I actually like the wireless display from the portable Southwire unit the best but that's not an option with the hardwired unit. I know focusing on the display probably isn't what I should be doing but once the main unit has been installed, that's what we'll be seeing on a constant basis.

It sounds like many love the PI lifetime warranty but it seems Southwire now has one as well. From what I gather they're both solid units and I probably can't go wrong either way but does anyone have direct experience with each unit and/or company to give opinions on? I appreciate any and all info!
Old 05-28-2020, 02:13 PM   #122
sourdough
Site Team

I use a portable 50A Surge Guard from Southwire. Used it for 6 seasons so far without any issue at all. Progressive had the upper hand with the lifetime warranty but Southwire stepped up and offers the same thing. I've called them a couple of times about piddly things and they are helpful. They also have good documentation along with what I consider a little more user friendly interfaces. IMO you can't go wrong with one.

I've never had an issue with the EMS walking off or anyone even getting close to it for that matter (might be that 454 Casull strapped on my hip.....just kidding) so theft has not been a problem or concern for me. I'm also not inclined to go to the trouble of installing the hardwired unit, keep it for a few years, let it go when I get a new trailer then do it all again. The new remotes from Southwire make the portable even nicer IMO and I will be upgrading to that.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 02:14 PM   #123
wiredgeorge

I have a PI and have used the warranty when my previous unit died; they promptly sent a replacement at no charge. Not sure about Southwire as I haven't heard anyone using this line of products... do some research around because Lifetime Warranty may be good but getting the company to honor it is even better. I have the PI that mounts to the pedestal and haven't had any issues with theft; I have a little bicycle lock that goes around the pedestal and through a ring that goes around the cord from plug to box and although this isn't much of a deterrent, it keeps casual sticky fingers from just walking off with the EMS.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:49 PM   #124
JRTJH
Site Team

Both Surge Guard and Progressive have a "limited lifetime warranty". It may seem "ironic" but they are designed to prevent a voltage spike/surge/lightening strike. If they do, then both company's warranty states that "the unit has served its purpose (to sacrifice itself to save the equipment) and the warranty does not apply to a replacement unit...

So, yes, both have a "lifetime warranty" but do not cover damage from a voltage surge.

That said, they both are "priceless" when it comes to the alternative of replacing your entire electrical system in a modern RV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:58 PM   #125
cavediver

I have the hard wired PI. I have the display mounted in an inconspicuous place, I look at it occasionally. If I would sell the trailer it would be easy enough to remove if I thought it would be necessary. I've not had a problem with it. I was at a park were the voltage dropped to 109 volts but it never made it to the threshold to shut it down.
cavediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:10 AM   #126
mikz86ta

We chose the Bulldog 50a unit that plugs into the power pole. It has a metal tab ring attached to the wire cable extension, so a cable lock is what we put around it and the pole. Would take a very determined person to get it. It also has Bluetooth and a phone App for alerts and monitoring. Also these have a replaceable card inside if it ever gets hit hard. I guess some of these are junked and whole unit is replaced in that event.

Hope this helps
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:34 AM   #127
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHammer View Post
Hey everyone, I'm posting here because it seems to be the best thread on the subject so I thought I'd continue the flow of information in one spot.

We're new to RV'ing and recently purchased a 19ft TT last Wednesday on 5/20. We've been researching like crazy and buying up all sorts of accessories which lead me to EMS devices. I originally purchased a normal surge protector but quickly decided that wasn't enough and haven't even opened the box. I then purchased a portable Southwire 34931 and wireless display and those got here yesterday (they look great btw). However, after more reading I'm now convinced that a hardwired EMS is the way to go because of the chance of theft. I feel like we have enough to worry about when traveling, we don't need to always be thinking about properly locking up the EMS at the pp.

I'm leaning towards the Southwire 35530 and Display over the PI HW30C. mainly because of the display. I actually like the wireless display from the portable Southwire unit the best but that's not an option with the hardwired unit. I know focusing on the display probably isn't what I should be doing but once the main unit has been installed, that's what we'll be seeing on a constant basis.

It sounds like many love the PI lifetime warranty but it seems Southwire now has one as well. From what I gather they're both solid units and I probably can't go wrong either way but does anyone have direct experience with each unit and/or company to give opinions on? I appreciate any and all info!
We have the Southwire Surge Guard #34951 and Bluetooth monitor #40301 and really like them both. I was glad we bought the pedestal model, especially after trading in our previous trailer on a new one. We have had no issues with theft and I really liked the "plug & play" aspect; installing the permanent one can be a project (depending on the location of your transfer switch and other items).
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1721.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	27697
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:58 PM   #128
mikz86ta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikz86ta View Post
We chose the Bulldog 50a unit that plugs into the power pole. It has a metal tab ring attached to the wire cable extension, so a cable lock is what we put around it and the pole. Would take a very determined person to get it. It also has Bluetooth and a phone App for alerts and monitoring. Also these have a replaceable card inside if it ever gets hit hard. I guess some of these are junked and whole unit is replaced in that event.

Hope this helps
Correction...... Meant Watchdog not Bulldog
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:09 AM   #129
ATLHammer

Thanks for everyone's opinions and responses. We took the whole rig for a test run this weekend and while we did have a few issues the Southwire Surge Guard (34951) and monitor (40301) did very well from everything I could tell. It was great testing the system to find out how much power each piece of the trailer drew.

I also purchased a chain and lock with a wide enough shackle girth to fit around the main cord of the guard and two chain lengths. If someone really wants it they'll need some bolt cutters and if that's the case they probably need it more than we do.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:00 AM   #130
sourdough
Site Team

I have one of these:

https://www.campingworld.com/surge-g...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

The only thing it does is keep an honest guy honest. It's sturdier than it looks and makes them have to take the entire power cable with the EMS unless they want to spend a bit of time breaking it. Currently it is in the pass through and I've been hooked up without it for a month.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:58 AM   #131
JSisemoreTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGriz View Post
Hi folks,

The more I read, the more I'm convinced that I need to get my tail in gear and get a surge protector installed in my TT...Laredo 288RL (50amp service). I read somewhere that the following is a recommended protector...Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C Hardwire 50 Amp RV Surge Protector - W/Remote Display. The best price I found was $327 at https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Progr...p/emshw50c.htm .

Also, looking for suggestions on specific location to install.

I'd like to purchase and have installed before we depart for our trip south in latter March.

Before I pull the trigger to order, I wanted to run past the brain trust here. Feedback appreciated!

Regards,
Mike
I went with this, for a brand new investment on a 2020 Laredo 311BH. Camco Power Defender Voltage Protector With Integrated Surge Protection, Includes Easy To Use Molded PowerGrip Handles (55306)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Pow...?selected=true
JSisemoreTX is offline   Reply With Quote