Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2017, 07:53 AM   #1
wiredgeorge

Home Depot Allure vinyl floor

Have been getting ready to pull the trigger on some Home Depot Allure flooring to replace old carpet. The flooring has stick-strips on the edge and looks very easy to install... BUT

When I went to one of the product pages and looked at customer questions, when asking if the Allure can be installed in an RV, a rep from Halstead Product (guess they are the manufacturers?) answers:

"Thank you for your question. No, because this is recommended for climate controlled ares with running heat and air year round between 65-85 degrees."

Has anyone who has installed Allure seen temp related issues? Since quite a few have installed this stuff, not sure why they are fussy about temps. One person opined in an "answer" about RV use that the cold could cause the tiles to become brittle and crack and the heat could cause the adhesive on the strips that join the tiles to let go... Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:11 AM   #2
XLite28SGS

Watching
2013 Chevrolet 2500HD EC DMax/Ally, 3.73 gear 4x4
XLite28SGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:37 AM   #3
Barbell

Also looking to replace carpet in our Montana. As of now, Prego XP and Outlast that looks like oak hardwood flooring looks to be the best choice but I have to talk to installer about it. It is about 3/8ths thick w/a foam backing that installer says is needed because the subfloor is not very smooth. There appears to be room for this flooring between slide floor and permanent floor but installer will have final say. Has anyone used Prego products in this application?
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:49 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

Barbell, It is Pergo... not Prego (one of my favorite spaghetti sauces!). Any floating floor system will likely be fine and almost all require underlayment (a sheet of thin foam type stuff). If the floating floor is placed under the carpet UNDER your slide out, I am pretty sure any of these products will work. I will say I have used float float plank stuff in my office and did it myself. It has to cure to room temp and 1/2 round used around the edge but isn't difficult if you pickup the correct tool to make sure the tongue and groove seat together tightly and the panel doesn't get damaged. Perhaps a drop of Elmer's glue on the ends might be a good idea so the pieces don't separate if you use really cheap floating floor like I did. I think you might not have this issue with Pergo... your installer will be up on such stuff.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:12 AM   #5
Bisjoe

This is why flooring is supposed to acclimated to the are in which it will be installed for a few days, it expands and contracts. We used that flooring in one of our bathrooms and it has actually shrunk over the years leaving gaps between sections. On the other hand, our trailer has some kind of wood-look vinyl flooring but appears to be one piece, like linoleum, which might be a better solution though harder to install. It looks like they installed it over the entire floor before putting in the cabinetry so the edges shrinking would not ever show.

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:59 AM   #6
ken56

I would love to replace the carpeting in our bedroom as we have 2 fur babies and it would be so much easier to clean. The bed is in a slide so a smooth surface would be ideal. I can see the tracks of the slide rollers on the carpet now as it is. I can't think of any reason that a floating floor wouldn't be OK to put down as long as its fairly tight fitting, like no more than a 1/8 inch expansion gap around the edges to prevent it from moving a lot while towing. May be why they use sheet goods for trailer flooring in the first place so it all one piece and doesn't move.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:23 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

The reason sheet anything (carpet or vinyl) is used in a trailer is that it is cheaper. A good installer can put the stuff in really quick. Higher end motorhomes can have ceramic tile but this is also a function of the relative rv unit cost.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:27 PM   #8
wiredgeorge

FYI: Since flooring isn't really specific to Keystone products, I asked the same question on another forum. If you are interested in what people who actually have installed Allure flooring in an RV have to say, have a look:

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...g/1/page/1.cfm
Old 12-19-2017, 04:11 PM   #9
first time 5er

I just replaced mine with Shaw Resilient from lowes to replace the linoleum. Came out great,easy to work with just scar it with a utility knife and snap it. It is also a floating design so you don't need to be exact with your measurement. finish with the quarter round

Barb & Kev & Missie (lab mix rescue dog)
2017 F350 DRW 6.7 4X4 24K Anderson ultimate
2009 Cougar 320SRX 1995 Custom Fatboy
first time 5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:30 PM   #10
Barbell

Took the rig to the place we expect to have new flooring installed to replace the carpet today. This is a 2014 3100 RL (titled as a 2014 but looks more like the 2013s). Question arose as to how to deal with the joint where the slide floor meets the fixed floor. This is the living room slide on the door side. The slide floor when extended appears to be about 1/4 inch or more below the fixed floor. When retracted, it raises up over the fixed floor. Don't see how the plank on the slide floor will stay in place. He also is concerned that the ends of the slide will scratch the floor when retracted. If anyone has dealt with this, how did you do it? Thank you.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 05:00 PM   #11
first time 5er

I put a 2" strip of carpet upside down under the edge of my slider to prevent scratching the new stuff. works well

Barb & Kev & Missie (lab mix rescue dog)
2017 F350 DRW 6.7 4X4 24K Anderson ultimate
2009 Cougar 320SRX 1995 Custom Fatboy
first time 5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:36 AM   #12
wiredgeorge

I went to Home Depot and they were closing out Oak colored Allure and I bought enough to finish my floor. Pulled up the carpet a couple days ago and there is sheet linoleum under the carpet that comes to about 4 inches from the slide carpet which I am going to leave in place. The carpet came up fairly easily as it is stapled around the edge. Only exception is around the step going into the bedroom where it was doubled over under the step and the step fastened in place to hold the carpet. Since I didn't want to remove the carpet from the step I had to use a razor knife to cut the carpet around the step. It took a couple hours to remove all the small staples that held the carpet. The underlying linoleum really isn't glued but they built the rear kitchen cabinets over the linoleum so if I want to remove it, I will have to cut it with a razor knife along the cabinet edge. Don't see much reason to at this point. The linoleum along the edge adjacent to the slide was held down by staples and will need to be re-stapled and I think I will put some duct over the edge where stapled as the Allure will start on this edge and it will clean this first plank line I think. There are a couple spots under the linoleum where the original assemblers left some debris that will have to be cut to clean out so they don't stick up when the floor tiles are installed. Oh yeah, got the Allure for $1.38 a sq. ft. on sale. Will probably get a chance to wrap the flooring up in the next week or two and will add a pic when done.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:26 PM   #13
wiredgeorge

Got around to taking a pic of the Allure vinyl oak look floor. One row of these tiles fought me a bit and didn't want to lay down. This row is the one towards the center just inwards from the outside row along the slide. The surface outside the slide has kind of a hump to it and causes the next row to lift a bit. I used some extra silicon glue adhesive along this row and put some heavy stuff on the seam till it dried.

I also found that the slide rubbed a bit when brought in and cut four 6" wide strips of plywood and bring the slide in about 18" then push the strips under the slide so it doesn't mark the floor. The plywood is about 2' long for the outside and 3' for the two inside pieces. The shorter lengths are necessary due the lay out of the trailer; they hit a register vent on the aft end and the steps up to the upper deck on the other othersie. The floor matches my cabinets almost perfectly and was down through some very cold (for TX) weather (into the teens). I gave it plenty of expansion room on the edges and used 7/16" quarter round to cover. The Home Depot in town has the stuff in an almost perfect match.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new_floor.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	15687  

Tags
floor