Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2017, 08:02 PM   #1
Bama Hammer

Moving North... In January

So my job is moving me up to North Dakota from Alabama in January. Great time to move right?? Regardless we will be loading up the house and making the move here in a couple months, and along with us will be our Passport 2400.

I have never made a long road trip up north in the winter with the TT, so do any of the northern types on here have some good words of wisdom? Fortunately we are in no rush so should have about 8-10 days to go about 2k miles. I don't plan on staying in the TT at all since I am 99% certain I will have to winterize before hauling in those temps.

Will be towing with a 4x4 Tahoe HD towing package rated at 14k GCWR. Still have factory tires on the TT but have held up fine and are about 2 yrs old. On the highway I use a basic friction sway bar and have not had any problems, of course that's with no ice and usually fair winds.

Looking forward to the trip! And again any advice appreciated!
Bama Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:46 PM   #2
busterbrown

You may want to think about tire replacements as the OEM rubbers are dubious at best. 2,000 miles isn't a trip to your local RV park for the weekend. There are a few replacement brands that have excellent reputations on many RV forums, none of which are standard on a new trailer. Since yours are approaching 2 years in age (or more based on the 'born on' DOT date), it may be a good time to invest prior to your travels. Carlisle Radial Trail HD's are very popular and affordable. If the time is right for you, you may want to increase the Load carrying capacity of your tires by moving up one load range.

Good luck and safe travels.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:30 AM   #3
notanlines

It would be my opinion that Buster's advice is sound! Carlisle's have never been cheaper at Walmart (About $70 I believe) and that's certainly cheap insurance. If I might ask, what business would attract an individual from Louisiana to North Dakota?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:00 AM   #4
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I'd definitely change the tires and that has been covered adequately.
I'd pick what looks like a good week weather wise and head out. It will be cold and the wind will howl especially around sunset But if the precipitation is clear, you'll have no problems.
I would go earlier rather than later. Any chance of pulling it up there early fall and putting it in storage?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:44 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

There are several things I'd consider before towing north in the winter.

1. Do you have any experience driving in ice and snow? If not, adding a trailer behind a SUV in those conditions more than doubles the potential for control problems. Having a 4x4 doesn't help stopping and does little for controllability on ice/snow.

2. Where are you going to park it when you arrive in ND? The ground will be covered with snow, possibly 3 or 4 feet of it and all the sides of the road will have "ice dams" from the roads being plowed. You will need to make arrangements for some place to park the trailer and that won't be easy to find, so start now or you'll have issues.

3. The roads between Louisiana and North Dakota will have been treated with salt and that will coat the underside of your trailer. That sets up a scenario of rust and corrosion that follows. If your trailer does not have rust problems, after towing to ND in January, it probably will. When you arrive, find a place to wash the underside very close to where you park it and clean it well before the "rest of winter storage"....

4. Is there a possibility that you could leave your trailer in Louisiana until the spring/summer and, after you're situated in North Dakota, make a "round robin trip" back to LA to get it? That would solve the storage problems, towing on bad roads problem and the rust problem.

5. As for tires, this is just an opinion, but having ST205/75R14C tires under a 7000 pound trailer is marginal at best and dangerous for most. Towing on a long (2000 mile) trip during hazardous conditions, in the winter, on strange roads, with little experience driving on ice/snow is setting yourself up for problems. I'd get new tires and upgrade to the heaviest tires available before the trip.

There is a thread on the forum, about 3 or 4 years ago, posted by a member who was leaving the Detroit area (I think) heading to Florida for the winter. They left in January, after spending the holidays with their family, made it as far as Toledo (about 100 miles) hit a patch of ice in the road and totaled the trailer/truck combination. Fortunately they weren't seriously injured, but the rig was a total loss. Things happen during all kinds of weather, but "pushing on in that perfect storm" can easily turn into a disaster in the works.....

We might head south this winter, but if we do, it will be during a week of our choosing, when the weather for the entire trip is "clear driving" and, once we reach our destination, I'll have good conditions to clean the trailer. That's not what you'll be facing at the end of your trip.

If you can devise a plan where you don't have to tow during the winter with a "northern destination" you'll be thankful in the years ahead.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:15 AM   #6
CaptnJohn

I don't envy that trip in winter. I lived in the snow belt for years and never had a problem driving. I always had 4 wheel drive and never pulled a trailer except on dry roads. Snow is bad, ice worse, and too many did not understand the concept of black ice.
I'd consider putting it in storage about 1/2 way up at a CG and pick it up during the 3 weeks of summer in ND. Yes, the military sent me from Nam to Minot.
Tires for sure. All 5. You may find snow so deep on the side of the road it is impossible to get off to change a flat.
Enjoy the scenery up there. There is some good hunting in the area and --------.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:45 AM   #7
Bisjoe

I agree with moving it up early (now) and putting it into storage. I was just reading that this is expected to be a LaNina winter, with more snow and cold in the northwest, and possibly north central USA. That trip could be nasty in January even without a trailer.With some snow every year and living at 600' elevation I have some experience but wouldn't want to try that trip in January.

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:04 AM   #8
concours

We lived in Manitoba Canada for many years which has similar weather to ND I would suggest that if you cant move the trailer now wait until the spring. Have you thought about getting a quote on having it shipped there are many companies that do this your local RV dealer should be able to help you. Other than the potential driving hazards the trip alone will be very hard on the trailer.
Good luck and safe travels Make sure that you are prepared for winter travel Warm clothed gloves etc you never know if you need to change a tire etc the cold wind is not forgiving
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:31 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Without getting into a lot of detail let me just implore you to heed the advice given above. Try to get the trailer there before the dead of winter or leave it in place. You say you are looking forward to the trip, and it would be fun some other time of year, but winter in ND could be deadly, especially to someone not familiar with the severity of the winter weather. And, get those tires replaced. The history of OEM tires is well established and trying to find a place, and change tires in 4' of snow, will be more than difficult....and dangerous.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:25 PM   #10
vampress_me

Grew up in and living currently in Minnesota, and been traveling to western Montana a few times a year for 12 years. And before that doing it the opposite, MT to MN, for 10 years. At least 2 trips every year in winter. My advice is to follow what everyone else says. If you can move the TT now, great. If not, leave it in AL until next summer and move it then.

We moved from MT to MN in January 12 years ago. Had to make a few trips towing trailers with a car on it, horse stuff, and then the horses in their trailer. Not a fun move. And beyond the snow, ice, and wind, there was the salt all over everything. That is the worst part of living here in winter. Any vehicle you drive or tow starts to rust, even with weekly washing with undercarriage spray. My Mustang and the camper get put in storage every fall before it snows and don't see the roads again until the salt has been well washed off by rain in spring/ summer.

Also, if you or anyone else in your family have never driven in snow or ice. The best thing to do is find an empty parking lot with snow on it, and drive. See how much brake it takes to stop versus sliding, how much gas to give to get going without spinning the tires, how much speed you can use to turn without sliding sideways, etc. Big empty parking lots are great for that. Taught a friend from Louisiana how to drive in winter in MN one year that way. And, to repeat a phrase the radio station in Missoula used to say every winter - 4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!

And enjoy ND when you get there. It is very pretty in its own way!

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:05 PM   #11
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
And enjoy ND when you get there. It is very pretty in its own way!
Especially all three weeks of AL summer weather..

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:36 AM   #12
mosquitoman

Welcome to North Dakota, if you are comfortable with towing your trailer you will be fine towing your trailer here. As for as tires go if you are not over loaded and NOT speeding (60mph) and over heating your tires they will be fine. I have been towing your size trailer for many years and I have never had an issue. As far as the roads go our DOT does an excellent job of keeping the roads clean and free of ice. With that said if there is a blizzard or ice storm you will need to give yourself extra time and wait out the storm. My DW and I just got back from South Dakota and Wyoming pulling our 2200RB over two 9600ft passes covered with snow and ice and camping at 8500ft. I kept it slow and we didn't have any issues. (North Dakota doesn't have any mountains just wind) Parking your RV when you get here will be pretty easy depending on where you are moving. Larger towns have lots you can park and smaller towns have lots of open area. As for snow and salt on your trailer we do have indoor heated car was stalls that will fit your trailer. Welcome to North Dakota.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:07 PM   #13
Ken / Claudia

I have driven in snow and on ice many miles for work, travel, hunting etc.. It's not fun, it's not really safe. Even if your the only vehicle on the road. I had never had a problem until, I had a problem. If and when you do just hope someone does not get hurt. For me it's like running a jet boat up or down a wild river. Every trip or every day is different on that same road or river, what worked last time might kill you this time. Any little problem that you have had on bare pavement and you recovered without ending with a crash will not happen on ice. Snow can be more forgiving. You asked here's my answer I would learn how to drive in that weather before towing anything in it, period.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:46 PM   #14
Bama Hammer

Thanks everyone for the candid feedback. We have decided to leave her in storage until the spring and come back for her then. I reckon on the bright side this gives me plenty of time to save some $ for those new tires and scope out some good places to stop in the warmer weather!

Thanks again.
Bama Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote