Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2013, 02:51 AM   #1
vallboss2

Backing a fiver

Picking up the new Alpine in four days. Never had a fiver and some people are telling me they are very difficult to back up. Is this true? I had a 34' premier tt and had no problem.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:00 AM   #2
sdetweil

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallboss2 View Post
Picking up the new Alpine in four days. Never had a fiver and some people are telling me they are very difficult to back up. Is this true? I had a 34' premier tt and had no problem.
I am in the same spot.. new to 5ver and new alpine on the 16th.

I don't think it will be 'difficult', just different. the pivot point is that 3 ft further forward. So you get less movement to start and then more backend trailer movement. (pivot on the tires). So keeping a straight line will be more important for distance.

at least that is what I am telling myself!
Sam
sdetweil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:10 AM   #3
pjhansman

Quote:
If you can back up a 34' TT then a 5ver will present no problems.
MOR/ryde Wet Bolt Kit, TST 507 TPMS, 1000w PSW Inverter, JT's Strongarm Stabilizers, and the list goes on....
Yamaha EF3000iSE/B Inverter Generator
pjhansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:26 AM   #4
labs4life

Any type of 5th wheel trailer should be easier to back than a TT. Very little steering wheel movement greatly impacts a TT where not so dramatic to a 5er.
I had to reign myself in when we got our 35' TT as I was used to backing 45+' semi trailers. Big difference.

Give yourself a little break in time and you will be just fine!!
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:15 AM   #5
Dhuhn

Backing a 5er is easy if your really concerned why don't you take it to a large empty parking lot and practice backing it up. There you can see how it handles and you won't have any obstacles in the way. I'm sure your going to love pulling it. Congrats on the new 5er.

2016 Montana 3720RL
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duromax :

previous
2012 Montana High Country 313RE
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duromax
2010 Palimino Bronco
2005 Chevy Silverado CC 1500
Dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:53 AM   #6
nano

I find backing up a 5er to be easier than backing up a travel trailer.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:57 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Backing a fifth wheel isn't any more "difficult" than backing a conventional travel trailer. It's just "different" in that the fifth wheel doesn't start turning as quickly and any "corrections" at the steering wheel take longer to respond on the trailer end. Otherwise, it's just about the same.

As suggested, find an empty parking lot, set up a few cones (2 liter soda bottles filled with water will work) and practice backing into that "imaginary spot"

Once you get the hang of it, it'll be easy.

When we bought our first fifth wheel, I was very frustrated at the lack of response from the trailer (becaue it backs differently). I found that every time I backed into a spot it became a little easier and now, after a few years, it is a rare time when I can't get into a site with only one or two attempts. Backing into the parking space at home has become a one shot event almost every time.

Once you get the hang of it, you'll love towing a fifth wheel and like most of us, will find yourself saying, "I'll never go back to a travel trailer." LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:43 AM   #8
WaltBennett

Went from a 27' TT with a short bed extended cab truck to a 37' 5er with a long bed crew cab dually last spring. We've a one lane driveway with a drainage ditch on either side I back into from a fairly narrow two lane street - narrow and unforgiving. After getting over my visions of putting the 5er in one or the other ditches, I found backing it to be very similar to the old TT. Everything does respond a bit slower and the front end of my truck does go onto the dirt on the opposite side of the street a bit, but it's really not hard. I haven't made it yet on the first try, but I've only done it four times so far.

There's some tips on a web site (can't remember where) about backing semis that helped me. Big one was 'jacking' or pulling up with the trailer back end aimed somewhat into where you're backing.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:50 AM   #9
Ron

Backing a 5ver is easier that a bumper pull, you can get into them tight spots easier by jack knifing the 5ver where you can not the bumper pull. I have pulled gooseneck trailers all my life and you would not believe the narrow gates coming off a narrow roads that I get through. The 5ver will also tow better than a bp, usually no tugging of the tv...have fun with it and as mentioned above go into a large parking lot and give it a try...
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #10
vallboss2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdetweil View Post
i am in the same spot.. New to 5ver and new alpine on the 16th.

I don't think it will be 'difficult', just different. The pivot point is that 3 ft further forward. So you get less movement to start and then more backend trailer movement. (pivot on the tires). So keeping a straight line will be more important for distance.

At least that is what i am telling myself!
Sam
congrats on your new alpine and thanks for the encouragement.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #11
vallboss2

thanks! Very helpful info.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #12
sdetweil

Quote:
congrats on your new alpine and thanks for the encouragement.

and to you!.. can't tell from your avatar is that a longbed 250?
I got rid of my shortbed and went dually.

I've got a decent place to store mine (5 acres), just gotta get it thru the front gate. I have backed my 20' car hauler thru the gate.. will have to see how long it takes for me to get the courage to try that with the 5th.

Sam
Old 09-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #13
vallboss2

IT'S A SHORT BED F250 LARIAT. Dealer suggested an auto slider 5th wheel and air bags installed. Don't know if the air bags were really necessary, not about the ride with air bags.
Looking forward to the sharper turn with the Fiver, mine goes in my driveway. After you pull it a couple of times let me know how it goes and I will do the same.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #14
sdetweil

Quote:
IT'S A SHORT BED F250 LARIAT. Dealer suggested an auto slider 5th wheel and air bags installed. Don't know if the air bags were really necessary, not about the ride with air bags.
Looking forward to the sharper turn with the Fiver, mine goes in my driveway. After you pull it a couple of times let me know how it goes and I will do the same.
will do. on my 2012-250 I added airbags (the rear springs are for ride, not haul) and replaced the stock rancho shocks with rancho 9000xl adjustables.. (and the wireless controller after that).. amazingly different. also added a Hellwig Bigwig swaybar to the rear.

I moved the shocks and airbags to the dually.

|see if my sig shows up
Old 09-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #15
sdetweil

try NEW message with signature
Old 09-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #16
therink

I found that what I have to watch more when backing is the swing of the front of the truck. You have to pivot the truck a greater swing in a shorter distance while backing. You reallyhave to watch that the front of the truck doesn't sideswipe low lying objects such as posts, signs, rocks, ditches, etc that are common in campgrounds.
I have become very good at backing the fiver but it did take several trips out before I got the hang of the forward pivot point.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:44 PM   #17
vallboss2

Thanks! I appreciate all the advice.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #18
Cougarfamily

I'm by no means a pro. One tip that I learned is that it is quite a bit easier backing up and turning in the direction of the driver's side. Hope that makes sense. You just have a lot better view of the tail-end and where it is going. So, unless you have a pull-through, I would approach the back-in site with that in mind.

The first time I backed the 5er in the pic below, that we had just bought and drove down from Denver that day, was in pitch-black darkness. Had to back to the opposite side, while trying to miss poles, ditches, and a dirt mound. With all the truck cab blocking my view, it was near impossible to see the side marker light to help keep track of the tail-end. Not a fun ending to a long day of driving.

As others have said, once you get the hang of it, you will never want to go back to a TT. Goodluck and enjoy the new 5er.

2005 F-250 PSD 4X4 SWB
2012 Cougar 328QBS
B&W Companion hitch
Cougarfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #19
ToooTall1

Being new to backing a 5'er, watch for tight jacknife turns. You can crush a cab and ruin a front cap very easy. If you have a slider or a long wheel base truck then your set to go. Take it slow and have a spotter so you don't run into anything and damage your new rolling home.
ToooTall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #20
Bigsky3625

Smile

Best advice I got was once it starts turning you need to follow it with your truck. That is, the trailer will start pivoting for the turn and you need to reverse the direction of your steering wheel and follow the trailer.

Once I got that it became a lot easier.

And congrats on the new 5er!
One Wife

Bigsky3625 is offline   Reply With Quote