Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2018, 06:08 AM   #11
dblanch57

The omnidirectional antenna is a 35-mile antenna. I placed the second amplifier in line just before the tv and it helped a little. I now have a made a pole out of 3 sections of PVC pipe and used my step ladder
(which I have with me for cleaning off the slide outs) and put the pole thru the tool tray on the ladder and connected the 100-mile antenna to the cable input. The amp in line before the tv and the directional capabilities of this antenna are amazing. I have seen this type of set-up on motorhomes with the pole attached to the ladder. I got the idea from a youtube video.

<+><
dblanch57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:25 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Older Airstream trailers had a Channel Master antenna mounted to the front of the trailer wall/A frame. It was a "foldable model" that stored against the front wall of the trailer for travel and "folded up" to extend above the trailer when in use. When unfolded, it was about 8' long and about 5' wide and sat on a pole that was about 6' above the trailer roof. That antenna was markedly better at pulling fringe stations than the "bat-wing roll-up" antenna that replaced it. Even with the "high tech" (for the 80's) electronic head, the batwing just doesn't work as well as the "mass of the big Channel Master". Now the Omni-directional roof mounted antenna is beginning to replace the "stepdown bat-wing" that replaced the Channel Master.

My guess is that as more and more of us go to satellite TV systems in our RV, the TV antenna will become as scarce on RV's as it is on house rooftops in "suburbia"......

Time was when everyone had an antenna on the roof, now, it's either a "cable entry" or a "satellite dish".... Gone (for the most part) is that big old aluminum gadget on the tall pole beside the chimney.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:39 AM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

I don't think the OTA antennas will ever disappear. Since the major networks are required to broadcast OTA signal that ANYONE with an antenna can get, the quality of the antennas will be the only thing that changes. I see different brands/styles of the omnidirectional antennas on various brands of RV's and their placement on different parts of the roofs. FWIW, I have found the "triple vision" used on the Tiffen motor homes is very impressive. Winegard RAZAR does a pretty good job also. and is aimable from an electronic panel inside the coach.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:17 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

The old antennas were based on analog TV broadcast standards. As such the antenna size (1/2 or 1/4 wavelength) either improved or degraded reception capability. The current TV broadcast standards are digital and significantly different from the old standards. The antennas used with digital broadcasting are much smaller and contain much more "signal enhancement gadgets and amplification" than the older style analog systems.

Just like tires, bearings, air conditioners and trucks, there are different "quality" products on the market. I don't have much experience on which brands are best and which brands should be avoided. I do know that with the very short elevation most of them have above the roof of the RV, placement is critical. Putting an antenna "in the shadow" of the air conditioner, for example, will essentially "kill all reception" from that direction.

Granted, there are some "electronic wizardry" to compensate for part of that shadowing, but placement still is probably the most important factor in good reception inside the RV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:02 AM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

We (DW) also use the Winegard carryout and Directv for the main room, I am relegated to the bedroom and whatever I can get OTA or park cable.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna