Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2014, 08:01 AM   #1
bstarz40

How long is too long?

My rv was taken to the dealer for a slide out leak, woobly table and a rip in the flooring from the slide out. It's been over 5 months that they have had it. every time I call to get a status on it I get the runaround. First it was approved for repair and were waiting on parts. They told me it would be done by the week before new years. Well not done . I then told them I was planning a trip to Florida for the second week of feburary. they have promised to have it back to me by the end of this week. Let,s see. If I don't get it back does anyone know what I can do as far as reporting this dealership to keystone and does keystone have any leverage to make a dealer do warranty work in a reaseable amout of time
bstarz40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:19 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Over 5 months? More than too long! How long does it take to fix a wobbly table? The slide out leak should not take more than a day or two -- a week at the very most. The ripped floor? They might have been waiting on new lino but not sure about what other "parts" would have to be ordered. The slide out may have needed new seals or perhaps a slide mechanism component was bent or broken.

I would ask the dealership exactly what parts were necessary and what parts were they waiting for to come in. Not sure if Keystone would intervene but it would be worthwhile sending them an email advising them of the extremely long delay that you have experienced with this particular dealership.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:20 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Keystone has little leverage with dealerships. They can influence the outcome, but they don't/won't restrict a dealer's sales ability or service ability with other customers because of a bad outcome with one customer. So, they won't "make" the dealer repair your RV, but they probably will "urge" him to get you on the road.

Your best bet is to raise hell with the BBB, the RV counsel, the Chamber of Commerce and your state "Automotive Repair Board" RV technicians like automotive technicians are required to be licensed, the service facility is also required to be licensed and there is a state board that oversees that function.

From your description, it doesn't sound like a "huge" repair order and 5 months is an extremely long time to be in the "repair cycle". I'd have been checking weekly the first month, and daily after that with surprise visits to the dealership. I'd have worn a hole in a chair in the service manager's office and in the general manager's office by now.....I'd probably also have worn knuckle prints in their desks from standing in front of them gripping the desk as I express my displeasure with their work ethic. You've been patient long enough.

I'd also consider urging the dealer to make your last 5 monthly payments since he's had use of your RV for that time. You might also see if Keystone will extend your warranty for that length of time.

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:24 AM   #4
bstarz40

Thanx for the quick reply. They had to replace the trim around slide and fabric on facia of couch. when I did call this last time they told me they replaced a patch of the floor but when they openend the slide again to do the trime the floor ripped again and they would have to pull the slide to get at a so called screw that was protruding in to the floor.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:31 AM   #5
bstarz40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Keystone has little leverage with dealerships. They can influence the outcome, but they don't/won't restrict a dealer's sales ability or service ability with other customers because of a bad outcome with one customer. So, they won't "make" the dealer repair your RV, but they probably will "urge" him to get you on the road.

Your best bet is to raise hell with the BBB, the RV counsel, the Chamber of Commerce and your state "Automotive Repair Board" RV technicians like automotive technicians are required to be licensed, the service facility is also required to be licensed and there is a state board that oversees that function.

From your description, it doesn't sound like a "huge" repair order and 5 months is an extremely long time to be in the "repair cycle". I'd have been checking weekly the first month, and daily after that with surprise visits to the dealership. I'd have worn a hole in a chair in the service manager's office and in the general manager's office by now.....I'd probably also have worn knuckle prints in their desks from standing in front of them gripping the desk as I express my displeasure with their work ethic. You've been patient long enough.

I'd also consider urging the dealer to make your last 5 monthly payments since he's had use of your RV for that time. You might also see if Keystone will extend your warranty for that length of time.

Good Luck
Yes I have been very lax with the dealership. I wasn't using the rv so I figured that thay could keep it as long as nessicery to do the repairs right , But now with the florida trip a week away I might have made a mistake.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:32 AM   #6
Steve S

Honestly if it was me in your situation I would have packed a few bags months ago and moved in to the trailer.
5 months to do a weeks worth of work??
I read a lot about the long waits in the States to get simple things fixed and I still wonder why this happens?
Old 02-05-2014, 08:33 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Keep in mind that Keystone builds one if these things from installing wheels on the axles to pushing the completed unit out the back door in 8 days........

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-05-2014, 08:37 AM   #8
bstarz40

on phone with dealer now
Old 02-05-2014, 08:59 AM   #9
bstarz40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstarz40 View Post
on phone with dealer now
well that was interesting. they still have not done anything to my camper. they said they coulnd pull the slide in the snow!
Old 02-05-2014, 09:14 AM   #10
Javi

I once went through a similar ordeal with my ex-dealer. They kept the trailer for 31 days to complete a 1 hour repair. Their policy for warranty work is that it goes behind paying customers and make ready. So the mechanic only works on them when there is no scheduled paying work or make ready.

I no longer take my work to a dealer, I take it to an authorized repairman whose only business is repair.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:38 AM   #11
tileman

Quote:
well that was interesting. they still have not done anything to my camper. they said they coulnd pull the slide in the snow!
Wow sorry to hear the news.
I would go and just get my camper and then call Keystone.

We had a few things to fix and had the whole roof replaced wet wood and all
total time was 3 weeks and that was waiting on Keystone to pay for it under warranty.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:45 AM   #12
bstarz40

Called keystone they are going to get me the info on when the warrenty work was approved and when they shipped the parts. if too much time between then and now I will Know if the dealer was lying. also if I decide to pull camper of their lot are the obligated to give me the parts orderd.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:49 AM   #13
tileman

Quote:
Called keystone they are going to get me the info on when the warrenty work was approved and when they shipped the parts. if too much time between then and now I will Know if the dealer was lying. also if I decide to pull camper of their lot are the obligated to give me the parts orderd.
The parts I do not know but I would push to get them and go to a diff dealer.
Maybe Keystone will step in and help out.

5 months its a long time

Good luck
Old 02-05-2014, 10:01 AM   #14
bstarz40

Maybee will see. told them they had till the 12 of feb. that's when I need to p/u so I can leave for florida on the 14th. I don't have a lot of faith in this dealer. but Ive been surprised before.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:48 AM   #15
Terry W.

I had the very same thing with my Avalanche slide. Patched flooring moved slide did it again. They found screws/staples causing problem. Now tell me us the dealer name to help the next guy.
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:33 AM   #16
bstarz40

[QUOTE=Terry W.;111108]I had the very same thing with my Avalanche slide. Patched flooring moved slide did it again. They found screws/staples causing problem. Now tell me us the dealer name to help the next guy.[ can I say the dealers name on hear. Couse I will never give them any of of my money again. and I was planning to upgrade to a 5er in the next coulpe of years.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:19 PM   #17
bstarz40

Update

Well I called the dealership today to tell them I was picking up my tt today and I was going to complete the work. but to my surprise they told me the floor guy was just finishing up and we could pick up our trailer any time. Got there to p/u and sure enough all done. Not the best job on the trim. but after 5 months and florida looming next week I hooked up and left . with no mention from them about how long it took or anything. just heres your camper and the service tech went back in his office. I thought that was just rude. I think maybe the call to keystone might have had something to do with it.and getting it done in 2 days and not 5 months. well my final thoughts on this is from now on I will be doing all repairs that I can handle on my own. if it wasn't under warrenty I probly would have. I will NEVER use HITCH RV of Turnersville New Jersey AGAIN!!!
Old 02-07-2014, 12:37 PM   #18
tileman

Quote:
Well I called the dealership today to tell them I was picking up my tt today and I was going to complete the work. but to my surprise they told me the floor guy was just finishing up and we could pick up our trailer any time. Got there to p/u and sure enough all done. Not the best job on the trim. but after 5 months and florida looming next week I hooked up and left . with no mention from them about how long it took or anything. just heres your camper and the service tech went back in his office. I thought that was just rude. I think maybe the call to keystone might have had something to do with it.and getting it done in 2 days and not 5 months. well my final thoughts on this is from now on I will be doing all repairs that I can handle on my own. if it wasn't under warrenty I probly would have. I will NEVER use HITCH RV of Turnersville New Jersey AGAIN!!!

Glad you got you trailer back

Hope you trip go's well and safe
Old 02-07-2014, 12:43 PM   #19
bstarz40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tileman View Post
Glad you got you trailer back

Hope you trip go's well and safe
Thank You tileman
Old 02-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

bstarz40,

I'd urge you to sit down tonight, send an email to Keystone outlining everything from the date you first took it in 5 months ago until now. It may not make any difference in changing the past, but it could be very beneficial to you if, 3 or 4 weeks after your warranty expires and you start having problems with your slide again.... Well, you get the potential picture.... Here's the link to their "Contact us" form: http://www.keystonerv.com/contact-us

If you "call and talk" to them, there's no "record" of what was said and what was promised (if anything). With the email chain, you've got some evidence to leverage the situation if it goes bad...

I'd put in the letter "somehow" that you lost 5 months of RV use while the dealership "sat on and ignored" your RV... you may just get some benefit from stressing that condition. In the past, there have been reports of Keystone paying several months of payments and/or extending the warranty period as a "gesture of good will" I can't (and won't) say you'll get that kind of "gesture" but at least Keystone will have documentation of what happened and you'll have the email trail if you need it.

Glad you got your RV "home" Now, start packing for that trip.....

enjoy, Enjoy, ENJOY !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS