Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2019, 03:51 AM   #1
TG10894

Trip to North East from SC

Planning a trip in mid-may from SC up the east coast to the Maine area (Bar Harbor). Have not traveled in this area and would appreciate insights on things to see and places to stay. I have 6-8 weeks to explore.
TG10894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:45 AM   #2
notanlines

Dan, we envy you for having 8 weeks to spend in this area! Let me spend a few of your tourist dollars right here...
If at all possible, part with about $600 and pay for you and your SO to board the CAT ferry with your vehicle and cross over to Yarmouth, NS for a couple days. There is nothing in South Carolina that compares, believe me! (Even the USS Yorktown wasn't this fast)
When your time is up in Maine you will wonder where it went. (And your money, too)
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:21 AM   #3
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Dan, we envy you for having 8 weeks to spend in this area! Let me spend a few of your tourist dollars right here...
If at all possible, part with about $600 and pay for you and your SO to board the CAT ferry with your vehicle and cross over to Yarmouth, NS for a couple days. There is nothing in South Carolina that compares, believe me! (Even the USS Yorktown wasn't this fast)
When your time is up in Maine you will wonder where it went. (And your money, too)
I will vouch for Jim (not that he needs vouching ) Cabot trail on Cape Breton Island is pretty nice, parts are as close to the Pacific coast highway as I have seen. It's a loop and is about 5 hours to complete, dependent on how long you dawdle. Broad cove, Cheticamp, and Ingonish beach are super nice places to set camp.
Enjoy your trip

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:41 AM   #4
TG10894

Thanks Jim - I will definitely check in to the ferry ride. Never been to NS before but the pics are beautiful.

PS - I grew up in Memphis (Bartlett area), left in '80 for fame and fortune.
TG10894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:05 AM   #5
major bumm

Very nice vacation. Enjoy!

If, like most, you are probably looking at I-95 through New York State. From decades ago experience, I have found that it take just as long in traffic on I-95 as it does going up the NY Thru-way to either Troy NY and crossing into Vermont or up to Rutland VT and crossing to take the northern access into NH. Now, this way is more mountainous, but manageable and a WHOLE lot more scenic. The local Vermonters' will hate me for writing this, but pick up some true VT maple syrup Grade A dark amber OR Grade B. It is hard to find better.

If traveling through MD and NJ, may I suggest Valium?

Anyway, expect toll roads. With a camper, double the fee. Thru-way, NJ Turnpike, NJ Parkway and Bridges leaving NJ too. There are roadways you can take to avoid these tolls... mostly.

Being a good ole southerner, can I ask, are you planning to go "packin" heat? Probably legal in VT, NH and ME with a SC permit, need to check. If so, we can help out with that too.
major bumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:28 PM   #6
gearhead

My reference:
http://www.handgunlaw.us/

I found it ironic that I usually stop in Winchester Virginia to get legal with my guns before crossing into Maryland.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:43 PM   #7
Bucketnuts72

You’ll not be boarding the ferry with any heat. But as suggested 64-81-84 is great travelling and without toles. If you’re a Stephen King fan pop into Dysarts. It’s a truck stop just before Bangor off the 95. The number 1 up the coast of Maine is nice but long. You will be hitting cooler temps up north so be prepared. Sweet spot for beach weather is July. If you do get across and want to poke around all places mentioned are fantastic but Halifax NS and central PEI is really worth the visit.
Bucketnuts72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:59 AM   #8
NH_Bulldog

As far as firearms go, VT, NH and ME are all constitutional carry states (no permit needed for open or concealed carry). Unfortunately to get here, you have no choice but to go through the gun control wastelands of NJ, NY, CT, MA and/or RI, so make sure you don't overnight in any of those states with a firearm locked and packed away or not. As long as you are just passing through, you are covered under 18 U.S. Code S 926A but if you overnight in those states you are subject to their very strict gun laws.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:10 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
As far as firearms go, VT, NH and ME are all constitutional carry states (no permit needed for open or concealed carry). Unfortunately to get here, you have no choice but to go through the gun control wastelands of NJ, NY, CT, MA and/or RI, so make sure you don't overnight in any of those states with a firearm locked and packed away or not. As long as you are just passing through, you are covered under 18 U.S. Code S 926A but if you overnight in those states you are subject to their very strict gun laws.
Which, for the most part, boils down to, "Don't spend money in places that don't support your views or that make you a criminal if you do stop to bolster their economy."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:34 AM   #10
Bullet Boy

I live in NY , spent plenty of time in Myrtle and have driven up to Maine. I suggest taking I-84. As you come north, take NJ turnpike to NY thruway and follow that to Newburgh and hop on I-84 at that point, we then hopped on the Massachusetts turnpike and took that up to Maine. Be sure to stop at the rest stops, some of the cleanest and tourist inviting stops in New England. Also be sure to pop into Freeport Maine, that’s home to LL Bean and the whole town is Bean town. Excellent shops and food. Never pass up a roadside seafood shack, eat LOBSTAH ROLLS for every meal!!!!! You will visiting some of Gods amazing creation....Enjoy and safe travels
PS- we are laying out a trip to Yellowstone National Park from NY, towing a Bullet 248RKS,,,now that’s exciting!!!
Bullet Boy is offline   Reply With Quote