Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2019, 05:57 AM   #1
racetech

So many opinions on TT tires! Trailer King

Man there are a lot of opinions on tires here, its all very mind numbing. The Trailer King tires my trailer came with are 5 years old and showing signs of dry rot. Obviously I want to replace them. I have load range C on it, and was considering going with load range D but do not see a need. My trailer is around 4K loaded, load range C is fine. Also thinking of ordering Trailer King as they performed well and are a good price. I think tires are a to each their own kinda thing. Proper inflation and load rating for your weight are key in making them last. I dont wish to spend $100 a tire for the little amount of travel I actually do. I wish there were more reviews of tires here rather then opinions. Ill start by saying my trailer king tires lasted 5 years with no issues. The Carlisle tires I had on my pop up also lasted about 5 years with no issues.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:03 AM   #2
racetech

On second though maybe Ill pay a few more bucks and get Carlisle at least. Does anyone have anything bad to say about Carlisle? I've always had good results with them.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:16 AM   #3
notanlines

Tom, can I be blunt? Your statements " Also thinking of ordering Trailer King as they performed well and are a good price" and "I wish there were more reviews of tires here rather then opinions" boggle the mind. If you like I can post the pictures here of $9,000 damage to our Raptor thanks to two, yes TWO simultaneous blowouts by your longtime favorites, Trailer King. How old were they? Less than one year. Proper care? Of course, 80 PSI AND a new TPMS.
If you like I can give you a review of our travel to Tire Kingdom to have new Sailuns installed with steel valve stems. The Sailuns never lost even one pound of air in the three years after when we sold the RV. Carlisle simply is your best bet, or Maxxis if they offer them in your size.
Okay, I'm climbing down from the soapbox...
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:22 AM   #4
racetech

Hey Jim, maybe my statements were in hopes that I could elicit a response in regards to tires, and it seems to of worked lol. I can appreciate the fact that you have been there done that and can give me a real world failure regarding Trailer King. I will consider myself lucky to have had mine last 5 years. I am leaning toward Carlisle, as I have familiarity with them also. But I am also not done researching. I will look into Maxxis brand also.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:51 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by racetech View Post
Man there are a lot of opinions on tires here, its all very mind numbing. The Trailer King tires my trailer came with are 5 years old and showing signs of dry rot. Obviously I want to replace them. I have load range C on it, and was considering going with load range D but do not see a need. My trailer is around 4K loaded, load range C is fine. Also thinking of ordering Trailer King as they performed well and are a good price. I think tires are a to each their own kinda thing. Proper inflation and load rating for your weight are key in making them last. I dont wish to spend $100 a tire for the little amount of travel I actually do. I wish there were more reviews of tires here rather then opinions. Ill start by saying my trailer king tires lasted 5 years with no issues. The Carlisle tires I had on my pop up also lasted about 5 years with no issues.

I think you may have your priorities reversed. Tire reviews, and I've read hundreds (conservatively) are in reality pretty much useless IMO. They are one persons' "opinion" of a given new tire in a controlled environment and how it performs, again, in their "opinion". Do they give specs? Sure; the same ones you can get from any manufacturer website. Do some give the construction criteria? Yes, but again, you can generally find that on the manufacturer website.

The "opinions" you reference are those from folks with years of "experience" dealing with tires A/B. Far more valuable IMO than the opinion of a reviewer that had said A/B tire in his hands for 3-4 days. And yes, I also had my $7k experience with the Trailer Kings although maintained meticulously and TPMS. My Carlisle Radial HDs have performed flawlessly since then.

Just some additional "input" on those tire "opinions" for your consideration.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:54 AM   #6
racetech

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I think you may have your priorities reversed. Tire reviews, and I've read hundreds (conservatively) are in reality pretty much useless IMO. They are one persons' "opinion" of a given new tire in a controlled environment and how it performs, again, in their "opinion". Do they give specs? Sure; the same ones you can get from any manufacturer website. Do some give the construction criteria? Yes, but again, you can generally find that on the manufacturer website.

The "opinions" you reference are those from folks with years of "experience" dealing with tires A/B. Far more valuable IMO than the opinion of a reviewer that had said A/B tire in his hands for 3-4 days. And yes, I also had my $7k experience with the Trailer Kings although maintained meticulously and TPMS. My Carlisle Radial HDs have performed flawlessly since then.

Just some additional "input" on those tire "opinions" for your consideration.
Im considering the Radial HD was pricing them as we speak. Nice to see a endorsement for them. Id be going from a load C to a D with them but other then being a little heavier im not worried about it. Unless they come in load range C maybe im thinking of another HD tire I saw
Old 05-08-2019, 06:58 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

If you go up in load range make sure your wheels are rated for the higher pressure of the new tires. There is currently a conversation about that in a different thread.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:03 AM   #8
racetech

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
If you go up in load range make sure your wheels are rated for the higher pressure of the new tires. There is currently a conversation about that in a different thread.
Thanks, I found them in my current load range of C. I saw an HD tire that was a D so I was mistaken.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:30 AM   #9
Ken / Claudia

It's all about opinions, we are lucky in the sense we have fairly light RVs compared to many. I did not have any problems with trailer kings on my current RV, but they are not top line tires. They are tires purchased because they are the cheapest to the buyer; in this case Keystone.
Look around at tire shops, I would have purchased trailer kings for about 120 also, but my local auto repair shop ordered and installed carlisle in load D for 92 bucks each. If I keep with C those were around 10 bucks less.
The tires will still be replaced at around 5 years and I have a heavier rated tire. I do pull the trailer on dirt/gravel roads along with freeway speeds. I want more tire not less.
If you drive normal speeds always have max. psi and do not abuse trailer kings you may again be happy. Don't judge a or any product by only your use. Look at the big picture. The big picture does show many tire failures with trailer kings. At least 1 on here had blow outs with carlisles.
For me it is silly to try to save a few bucks on tires. What ever tires you buy spend money on TPMS. That can save you thousands no matter what tires you buy. Remember the spare needs replaced and even if it was never been on the road. It is still rotten.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:43 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Hey Jim, maybe my statements were in hopes that I could elicit a response in regards to tires, and it seems to of worked lol. I can appreciate the fact that you have been there done that and can give me a real world failure regarding Trailer King. I will consider myself lucky to have had mine last 5 years. I am leaning toward Carlisle, as I have familiarity with them also. But I am also not done researching. I will look into Maxxis brand also.
You can get the information you're looking for by taking a sheet of paper and using the old "4 lines with a diagonal" to count by fives. Read posts here and each positive about a "brand of tire" goes on the right side of your page, each negative post goes on the left side of your page (separated by brand, of course). Then you'll get the "true version of personal experiences with each brand"

Using "shorthand" I can pretty much tell you that you'll get the majority of "positive experiences" with Maxxis, Carlisle, Sailun (not available in your size) and now add Endurance.

As for negatives, TowMax, PowerKing both lead the list of "My tire blew and destroyed, followed closely by Goodyear Marathon....."

So, the "long term experiences on this forum" would lead you AWAY from TowMax or PowerKing. BTW: they are the same tires, sort of like Goodyear and Endurance.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:35 AM   #11
Number 4

After checking with this group as you are doing, I bought Carlisle tires from www.walmart.com at a good price with free delivery. The following Saturday I towed the trailer to a nearby tire shop where they mounted and balanced all four for sixty bucks. I'm assuming that bypassed dealer or trailer service center markup on the tires. Extra bonus... all tires had recent "born on" dates.

Number 4: 2013 Hideout 19FLBWE
Number 3: 1994 Skyline Nomad 1661
Number 2: 1971 Santa Fe
Number 1: 1967 Shasta Airflyte
2015 F-250 Lariat 6.2L CC 4x4 3.73
Number 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:03 AM   #12
cookinwitdiesel

The main challenge is balancing trailer wheels with ST tires - TireRack field guys wont have a clue or the right equipment how to do this on the truck.
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:14 PM   #13
Northofu1

Quote:
Hi Race,
I am a newbie with one year experience. When I read posts in this forum about china bombs and opinions people had about trailer kings i was confused. I know tires have shelf lives, I know about issues with tires in regards to wear. When I looked at my tires on my trailer they looked good, spare looked brand new. When I had them replaced the guy asked what I wanted done with them I told him to trash them, he was puzzled, "are you sure?"

I have read a lot of the older far more experienced members talk about their experiences with tires and what their preferred brands are. It came down to Sailun or Carlisle to me, I chose the Carlisle's as they were easiest to find. Because I have a trailer that is on the cusp of the towing ability of my truck I took no chances and went up to a LRD tire. I didn't overthink it, I trusted their judgement based on experience. I joined seeking advice. Why wouldn't I take it?
Enough yammering from me.
Good luck finding the tires that give you peace of mind when travelling.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:48 PM   #14
racetech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
Hi Race,
I am a newbie with one year experience. When I read posts in this forum about china bombs and opinions people had about trailer kings i was confused. I know tires have shelf lives, I know about issues with tires in regards to wear. When I looked at my tires on my trailer they looked good, spare looked brand new. When I had them replaced the guy asked what I wanted done with them I told him to trash them, he was puzzled, "are you sure?"

I have read a lot of the older far more experienced members talk about their experiences with tires and what their preferred brands are. It came down to Sailun or Carlisle to me, I chose the Carlisle's as they were easiest to find. Because I have a trailer that is on the cusp of the towing ability of my truck I took no chances and went up to a LRD tire. I didn't overthink it, I trusted their judgement based on experience. I joined seeking advice. Why wouldn't I take it?
Enough yammering from me.
Good luck finding the tires that give you peace of mind when travelling.
Thanks I appreciate your insight. I ordered Carlisle Trail Radial HD tires earlier today should have them Monday. I trust the Carlisle brand, and after doing some reading i feel fortunate to of not had any issues with the Trailer Kings although I havent had the trailer long, they were original I believe as they were manufactured in 15 and the trailer is a 16.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:12 PM   #15
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
The main challenge is balancing trailer wheels with ST tires - TireRack field guys wont have a clue or the right equipment how to do this on the truck.
Yep. A majority of the national tire chains don't have the lug balancer plate adapters. So, they balance on the hub cone and call it a day. Trailer wheels are lug centric by design. Took me a citywide search to find one place that had the adapter.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:44 AM   #16
Gegrad

Quote:
Hi Race,
Not to deride you, as I completely understand upgrading tires right away, but why didn't you take Trailer Kings and resell them? When I upgraded my wheels and tires to go up a load rating and drop the Trailer Kings I sold the set of wheels and tires for $300 to someone who needed them for a utility trailer and a) wasn't carrying nearly as much weight, and b) didn't care about the brand because even a blowout won't hurt much on metal utility trailer. Just trashing them seems like throwing away good money on reselling the old ones.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 05:02 AM   #17
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
Not to deride you, as I completely understand upgrading tires right away, but why didn't you take Trailer Kings and resell them? When I upgraded my wheels and tires to go up a load rating and drop the Trailer Kings I sold the set of wheels and tires for $300 to someone who needed them for a utility trailer and a) wasn't carrying nearly as much weight, and b) didn't care about the brand because even a blowout won't hurt much on metal utility trailer. Just trashing them seems like throwing away good money on reselling the old ones.
I hear you. For two reasons.
1) I don't have the time to resell a set of tires. I have tried reselling items in the past and it's time consuming.
2) They were very near their sell by date, I could not have conscionably sold those tires. It's how I roll.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:07 AM   #18
Logan X

Quote:
I hear you. For two reasons.
1) I don't have the time to resell a set of tires. I have tried reselling items in the past and it's time consuming.
2) They were very near their sell by date, I could not have conscionably sold those tires. It's how I roll.
...it’s how I roll. Priceless!
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:59 AM   #19
Bullet Boy

China Bombs!!!!

Quote:
It pays to do some research on your tires, it’s a low level investment that could potentially save you thousands.... I found Carlisle radial trail 205/75 R14 for $56 each at Walmart,,,, this was after I bought some St Max tires. I’m not doing much towing this season so my China bombs will not see many miles and in the Spring I will be putting Carlisle on my rig. Make sure to check the date stamp when you buy from a Walmart or big box store. Good luck and this forum has tought me quite a bit in a short while.
Bullet Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:22 AM   #20
racetech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Boy View Post
It pays to do some research on your tires, it’s a low level investment that could potentially save you thousands.... I found Carlisle radial trail 205/75 R14 for $56 each at Walmart,,,, this was after I bought some St Max tires. I’m not doing much towing this season so my China bombs will not see many miles and in the Spring I will be putting Carlisle on my rig. Make sure to check the date stamp when you buy from a Walmart or big box store. Good luck and this forum has tought me quite a bit in a short while.
When was this? I checked walmart and that same size carlisle was over $80. I ordered them for $73 each elsewhere.

Tags
tires