Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2019, 10:50 AM   #1
Hoodlatch

Another C to D wheel rating question

I’ve read every tire post on here and most involve 15” or 16” wheels. My concern is a little different.
My Bullet 243BHS has 14” wheels rated at 1900. No max PSI stamped. Before you tell me they don’t have PSI ratings look around the internet.

I bought 5 Kenda Karriers not just for the extra cushion, but for the 81mph rating. They are load D tires with 75 psi max. I also got 5 100psi valve stems. Just not sure if my wheels will work.

Not wanting to buy wheels, but if I need to I need to I guess. Looking at Sende website, some of their 14” 1900lb wheels are 65 psi max, and a couple are rated at 75 psi max...
How can I find out for sure what my stock 14” can handle?
Hoodlatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:01 AM   #2
rjrelander

As a general rule, rims are stamped with a carrying capacity and PSI is determined by the valve stems. Not always the case. Apparently, some rims are PSI rated as well. Usually a safe bet to go with metal valve stems since you want to replace them when you change tires anyway. You also want to double check the rim widths to make sure they are compatible with the new tires.

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:22 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Generally speaking, wheel and tire ratings correlate with each other. As an example, 205 75R14 LRC tires are rated 1740 pounds at 50 PSI and 205 75R14 LRD tires are rated 2040 pounds at 65PSI. Most 14" 5 lug wheels installed by the OEM would typically carry the 2040 pound rating and that would be stamped on the back of a spoke (on aluminum wheels) or inside the rim (on steel wheels). If your wheels are rated at 1900 pounds maximum weight, then they don't correlate to either the LRC or LRD tire ratings.

I'd suggest you contact the wheel manufacturer for guidance. If you don't know who manufactured your wheels, you may be able to get that information from Keystone.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:49 AM   #4
Hoodlatch

Thanks for the replies.
Most every 14x5.5 wheel I looked at from HiSpec or Sendel are 1900 with a few being 2200. Not saying everyone they all are, but I looked at 20 or so.

My wheels look exactly like the Sendel T03 with the black inlay, but I’m unsure if they are a copy. Stamped yes
Old 05-07-2019, 01:36 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

In your original post you said your wheels are rated for 1900 lbs. How did you determine that? I assume it is stamped on the wheel. Your question, I think, is what is the psi the wheel can carry because it isn't stamped on it...right?

If it is stamped 1900 it is going to be rated for 65psi which would correspond to that weight IMO. My wheels have no psi stamped on them but they do have the maximum load which correlates back to a max of 80pse. Same with yours I suspect.

Your Kenda tires are probably a bit of an anomaly with the 75psi rating - I've looked at several LRDs in that size and they max out at 65psi. I have seen in the past some tires that come with some "out of the norm" specs for a specific size/load range and that may be the situation here. I suspect you had to look for those vs the 65psi rated tires - which are everywhere. You can check with the manufacturer to be sure but I suspect you will need to keep your new tires at 65 psi or upgrade wheels; which I wouldn't see much benefit in for such a marginal gain. I'm not sure why you wanted the 81mph speed rating. I'm hoping it was to hopefully receive some additional "strength" in the tire and not so you could tow at that speed.....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:15 PM   #6
shermris

I have a Bullet 248 with 14" factory tires, recommended cold air pressure is 50 psi
shermris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:02 PM   #7
busterbrown

5x4.5 wheels in a 14" size will be hard to match a tire offering load capacity over 1900 lbs. I found this out with my OEM wheel/tire setup during my first season with my Bullet. Took the hit on new 15" tires with the same lug configuration which gave me 2500 lbs of capacity.

Last fall, I upgraded to 5200 lb 6 lug axles and a whole new world of wheel options opened up for me. I'm now at running LRE tires on 15 inch 225/75 ST tires.

It's unfortunate that you already purchased 14" tires. 15s would have given you a few more options. I believe my OEMs were rated for 1900 lbs. Don't remember if there was a PSI rating stamped on the wheels.

Recstuff.com is where I bought both sets of my wheels from.

Just an added thought, if you did decide to upgrade to 15" tires/wheels, your new Kenda Karriers mounted to your OEM wheels will sell very quickly and for a good price. I sold each set of mine with a net loss per set of just $200 plus mounting costs. Not bad for the peace of mind I needed.

Good luck.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:39 AM   #8
shooodog

I have the same wheels.. 1900#s stamped on rim, But no PSI stamp
shooodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:10 AM   #9
Hoodlatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
In your original post you said your wheels are rated for 1900 lbs. How did you determine that? I assume it is stamped on the wheel. Your question, I think, is what is the psi the wheel can carry because it isn't stamped on it...
Yes, my wheels are stamped 1900, like most wheels I see in that size. I found a few from Sendel rated at 1900 some marked 65 psi, a couple marked 75 psi.
Thinking I may select a 75psi variant. HiSpec has 2200 wheels, but I don’t see psi specs online.

Oh, and no i don’t tow at 81 mph, but 71-75, certainly at times. Usually in a line of folks towing at that speed. And I get passed constantly by trailers and fifth wheels going 75-80+ probably on 65 mph rated tires.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:24 AM   #10
Hoodlatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
It's unfortunate that you already purchased 14" tires. 15s would have given you a few more options. I believe my OEMs were rated for 1900 lbs. Don't remember if there was a PSI rating stamped on the wheels.

Recstuff.com is where I bought both sets of my wheels from.

Just an added thought, if you did decide to upgrade to 15" tires/wheels, your new Kenda Karriers mounted to your OEM wheels will sell very quickly and for a good price. I sold each set of mine with a net loss per set of just $200 plus mounting costs. Not bad for the peace of mind I needed.

Good luck.
Exactly. I wish I would have figured this out before I bought the tires. If I had planned on new tires AND wheels, I should have picked 15s.
Recstuff.com has a ton of wheels!
Old 05-08-2019, 02:43 PM   #11
Ken / Claudia

Remember the highways are not a race track, you can go the speed limit or slower when needed. I always let the speed bunch pass me by, I normally pass them going up the next grade and the next level area they race by again.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:38 AM   #12
Hoodlatch

Thanks for everyone’s input.

95% of our camping in the last 10 years has been to state parks / corps of engineering sites within 6 hours from home.

With our upcoming Rushmore/Yellowstone/Tetons trip coming up quick, I’ve decided to just purchase the 1900 lb wheels with the 75psi rating from Sendel.
I’m sure the average Joe may have never given the stock wheels another thought and been fine. Without knowing their true PSI max I chose new wheels to ease my mind
Thanks again!
Old 05-09-2019, 08:28 AM   #13
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodlatch View Post
I’ve read every tire post on here and most involve 15” or 16” wheels. My concern is a little different.
My Bullet 243BHS has 14” wheels rated at 1900. No max PSI stamped. Before you tell me they don’t have PSI ratings look around the internet.

I bought 5 Kenda Karriers not just for the extra cushion, but for the 81mph rating. They are load D tires with 75 psi max. I also got 5 100psi valve stems. Just not sure if my wheels will work.

Not wanting to buy wheels, but if I need to I need to I guess. Looking at Sende website, some of their 14” 1900lb wheels are 65 psi max, and a couple are rated at 75 psi max...
How can I find out for sure what my stock 14” can handle?
Trailer wheel fitments must support the maximum load of certified GAWRs. Therefore 1900# load capacity wheels are all that are needed for your trailer.

Wheels with a load capacity (only) marked on them will not normally have a certification for a PSI rating. When that is the case, any tire that matches the designated size (ST205/75R14) are approved, including those providing load capacities above the wheel capacity at a higher PSI.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote