Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2019, 06:39 PM   #21
efrulla

Skimp some place else

Buy a quality surge protector and make sure that it also tests the power source for open grounds etc.
efrulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:54 PM   #22
bobbecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by efrulla View Post
Buy a quality surge protector and make sure that it also tests the power source for open grounds etc.
What you are describing is an EMS, like what has already been discussed. No point testing if it does not also disconnect in the event a problem develops after you are hooked up.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:27 PM   #23
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf4Fun View Post
The Hard wired is a bit more complicated to install but it's the best thing you will do to protect your second home from low voltage, high voltage and other electrical issues.
I like the hard wired for 2 reasons.

1. it won't go for a walk when I'm not looking. Yes I can buy a lock but they can still be cut off.

2. I can't plug in without it. So on the crappy set up days when you are tired and it's raining and you are rushing to set up, you won't have the option to say "screw it, I'll do it tomorrow" and then get your electronics taken out by lightning.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:32 PM   #24
KSH

Is that floating ground plug simply a jumper between neutral and ground?
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:42 AM   #25
IMASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH View Post
Is that floating ground plug simply a jumper between neutral and ground?
Pretty much, but do your own research and be sure of what you are doing before you modify any wiring.
IMASAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:14 PM   #26
Unique_NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
I just installed the Progressive EMS HW30C wired-in unit which I paid around $229US for.
Did you install this yourself? Is that the price installed? I was looking at the EMS-PT30X that will cost $208 (lowest price I find right now) but if I can get hard-wired for less I might take that route.
Unique_NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:08 PM   #27
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique_NY View Post
Did you install this yourself? Is that the price installed? I was looking at the EMS-PT30X that will cost $208 (lowest price I find right now) but if I can get hard-wired for less I might take that route.
Installing one of these is pretty easy. Progressive have videos that show you step by step. Just about anyone with simple tools and hand skills can install them. In my case, the trickiest part was shoehorning it into the cabinet behind my distribution panel.

IMO, The wired in unit is the best as you don't have to set it up every time you go to a new site. You just plug in as normal and you're good to go. Also, the wired in one has the readout that tells you at a glance how many volts you have and how much amps you're drawing. This is really helpful when you have the aircon running and the DW turns the microwave on and the circuit breaker at the pedestal pops. Oops! With the readout you can see how close you are to the breaker's limit.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 02:58 AM   #28
DanHebert

Anyone using a TRC Surge Guard?
DanHebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 03:28 AM   #29
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
Installing one of these is pretty easy. Progressive have videos that show you step by step. Just about anyone with simple tools and hand skills can install them. In my case, the trickiest part was shoehorning it into the cabinet behind my distribution panel.

IMO, The wired in unit is the best as you don't have to set it up every time you go to a new site. You just plug in as normal and you're good to go. Also, the wired in one has the readout that tells you at a glance how many volts you have and how much amps you're drawing. This is really helpful when you have the aircon running and the DW turns the microwave on and the circuit breaker at the pedestal pops. Oops! With the readout you can see how close you are to the breaker's limit.
I just installed my EMS a few weeks ago. It was fairly easy except for the round sensors that go over the wires. There isn’t enough room in the box to get these together. Well obviously there is cause I’m done but it was a Pain!

The wires were stiff, and trying to get all three in with the sensors was like playing the operation game.

Happy with it. I haven’t spent the time to read up on what the display is telling me. I installed a Victron 700 with Bluetooth and it has me mesmerized at the moment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1BD182EB-E7DB-4DB7-BC09-E0BB5657AEAA.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	22059   Click image for larger version

Name:	3B0B43C0-C8DC-4362-87EA-EA65145E8DFC.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	22061   Click image for larger version

Name:	A2D174D7-2B32-45FA-ACCD-04E8F6CC2F71.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	22062  
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:32 AM   #30
MarkEHansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique_NY View Post
Yes, I installed it myself. I just took my time. It was not technically difficult, just hard to get my hands into the area behind the power panel (as was mentioned above).

We just took our trailer out on the first trip with our newly-install EMS and it already protected us. While at the RV park, the AC power switched off. We looked at the display panel for the EMS and saw that it cut the power due to a low voltage event. The voltage was showing (at that time) 101V.

We watched the voltage (reported by the display) come back up and then after a few minutes, the power to the trailer was restored. It was really nice seeing it actually do what it has promised to do
Old 06-02-2019, 07:48 AM   #31
Logan X

I also installed the progressive industries hardwired unit. I did it myself, it was pretty straight forward. As mentioned above, the hardwired unit is good because you don’t have to remember to plug it in or worry about it getting stolen.

If you plug into a generator with the hardwired EMS, you will need to use a bonded plug with the generator.

I paid around $200 for mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	355093E8-4BA4-40B2-A265-D2D071CF9D6F.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	22063   Click image for larger version

Name:	E9A9D054-828D-4D81-8FD1-210405C8AFCC.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	22064   Click image for larger version

Name:	D5A7C26C-619D-4A82-98D7-64C84C1F6572.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	22065  
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:59 AM   #32
GMcKenzie

I had more trouble figuring out where to put the display and run the wire to it then I did putting in the MES. My power cord comes in under the fridge so I removed the panel and had lots of free room to work with

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:04 PM   #33
KC10Chief

I have the Progressive Industries PT-50X. The portable one. It's fantastic. I can plug it in and check the codes to make sure everything is okay with the power. As long as it says E 0, I'm good to go. Anything else, and I'd have to look it up. Progressive Industries is expensive but so is your trailer and its electronic components.

Now, if I had it to do over again, I'd buy the built in surge protector. I bought this one when I bought the trailer. I had a lot going on and bought the portable one so that I didn't have to worry about installing something. I leave it outside, unlocked every time I camp and so far, still own it. HA! I leave stuff outside while camping all the time and have never had a problem. I would like the built in one just to have one less thing to worry about. It's not that big of a deal and I don't plan on upgrading unless this one ever disappears.
ProPride 3P-1400 hitch.
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:56 PM   #34
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC10Chief View Post
I have the Progressive Industries PT-50X. The portable one. It's fantastic. I can plug it in and check the codes to make sure everything is okay with the power. As long as it says E 0, I'm good to go. Anything else, and I'd have to look it up. Progressive Industries is expensive but so is your trailer and its electronic components.

Now, if I had it to do over again, I'd buy the built in surge protector. I bought this one when I bought the trailer. I had a lot going on and bought the portable one so that I didn't have to worry about installing something. I leave it outside, unlocked every time I camp and so far, still own it. HA! I leave stuff outside while camping all the time and have never had a problem. I would like the built in one just to have one less thing to worry about. It's not that big of a deal and I don't plan on upgrading unless this one ever disappears.
KC, I've had a portable from day one and never had an issue. They will have to unplug the trailer if I'm in it and that will end badly for them, or, when I'm gone, pup is going to make them very uncomfortable. Do the sensible things to protect your stuff and don't worry. I've gotten where I leave all kinds of stuff out without issues. Initially I figured all kinds of stuff would just walk away - not a thing to date in even some "iffy" places.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:09 PM   #35
KC10Chief

Exactly. We camp all the time. Boondocking, state parks, resorts, etc. I used to be paranoid but am pretty relaxed now. I leave everything out and forget to lock the camper sometimes. I've never come up with anything missing. Doesn't mean it can't happen though. One of the things I love about camping!
ProPride 3P-1400 hitch.
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:11 PM   #36
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC10Chief View Post
Exactly. We camp all the time. Boondocking, state parks, resorts, etc. I used to be paranoid but am pretty relaxed now. I leave everything out and forget to lock the camper sometimes. I've never come up with anything missing. Doesn't mean it can't happen though. One of the things I love about camping!
From what I've heard, that won't work anywhere near Las Vegas though.
2018 Outback 272UFL

Old 06-11-2019, 06:38 PM   #37
MarkEHansen

Remember that surge protectors are not the same as an Electrical Management System (EMS). A good EMS does protect against surges, but it does much more.

To the OP: I recommend a good EMS (like the one I referenced above), not just a surge protector. Whether you get a hard-wired or portable unit is personal preference. I went with the hard-wired unit because I didn't want to have to think about it - it's just always there working, and the installation wasn't that hard.

Good luck.

Edit: I thought I had referenced the EMS we installed, but I see now that was in a different thread. Here is the unit we installed: https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I.../dp/B002UC6RSA
Old 06-12-2019, 04:17 AM   #38
Scott902

I have one on my wishlist. I know we should have one. I go back n forth so much over it, but I know deep down, for peace of mind, we should have one. Just have to pull that trigger.

15 Sierra SLT 1500 Max Tow 6.2
16 Springdale 27OLE
Scott902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:20 AM   #39
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott902 View Post
I have one on my wishlist. I know we should have one. I go back n forth so much over it, but I know deep down, for peace of mind, we should have one. Just have to pull that trigger.
Or you can do what I did. I was "gonna" put one in and held off for a bunch of reasons, but mostly laziness. Then I plugged the trailer into a friend's home made extension to a 30 amp outlet at his house.
Turns out he had the cord wired wrong and it took out my 12V converter and my blu ray player. That right there cost me more than the ems was worth. Then I still had to buy the ems.
Moral of the story, don't wait till you have a problem like I did.
2018 Outback 272UFL

Old 06-12-2019, 12:24 PM   #40
Laredo Tugger

I opted to use the Hughes 50 Amp Autoformer. A bit more expensive but offers dual protection from surge and low voltage. And yes I lock it up. Double locked to the wheel and axle on the power side of the trailer. But that's just me,I lock everything in my camp.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote