Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2019, 07:30 AM   #1
bobnelms

Main TV is SNOWY when bedroom TV is on

We have a 2016, 37 foot Cougar 5th wheel. Whenever someone is watching TV in the bedroom, the main TV in the coach is very snowy. When the bedroom TV is off, the main TV looks great.

I'll restrict my comments to using CABLE TV as opposed to the antennae.

I'm not sure how the wiring is run in my unit. When I hook the campground cable to my RV, it appears as if the cable is run to a Winegard Sensor Pro unit in the bedroom. From that Winegard unit, a Cable runs directly to my bedroom TV. It seems like another cable runs to the main TV. I checked the cable connections and they seem tight.

I'm wondering why my main TV would be so snowy ONLY when I'm using my bedroom TV?

Any thoughts?
bobnelms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:54 AM   #2
Dhuhn

You might check to see if your booster for antenna is on that will cause interference.

2016 Montana 3720RL
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duromax :

previous
2012 Montana High Country 313RE
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duromax
2010 Palimino Bronco
2005 Chevy Silverado CC 1500
Dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:41 AM   #3
travelin texans

The booster must be "on" for antenna, "off" for cable, go to each tvs setup menu to change from "antenna" to "cable" & a "channel scan" must be done to each tv every time you switch signal inputs &/or change locations.
There's also splitters somewhere that may have loose connections or miswired.
If you have the new fangled Key Tv then pay no attention to the above & someone else will have to try & help.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 12:42 PM   #4
bobnelms

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The booster must be "on" for antenna, "off" for cable, go to each tvs setup menu to change from "antenna" to "cable" & a "channel scan" must be done to each tv every time you switch signal inputs &/or change locations.
There's also splitters somewhere that may have loose connections or miswired.
If you have the new fangled Key Tv then pay no attention to the above & someone else will have to try & help.
As I said, I have a Winegard Sensor Pro. The cable from the campground comes into this Winegard unit, and then gets distributed to the 2 TV's from that point. According to the manual, if I select "CABLE" on the Winegard unit, the signal bypasses any of the Wingard circuitry and goes directly to the 2 TVs.

Both of my TVs are "smart." I tell each of them to look for a CABLE signal (as opposed to an antennae signal). The main cabin TV looks great until I turn on the bedroom TV. When I do that, the main cabin TV looks very snowy.

I don't get it.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:58 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Have you considered running a spare coax cable from the bedroom TV to the main TV to troubleshoot whether it's the signal amplitude causing the problem or a wiring issue in the Wingard cable splitter/amplifier switch plate???

You "could have" (as an example) a loose connection/short center wire at the trailer cable connector input fixture and there's enough signal to power one TV, but not enough to provide a "split signal" to the second TV. That's just one possibility out of many, but I'd first rule out the Wingard system with a "temporary bypass cable" to the second TV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 02:50 PM   #6
bobnelms

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Have you considered running a spare coax cable from the bedroom TV to the main TV to troubleshoot whether it's the signal amplitude causing the problem or a wiring issue in the Wingard cable splitter/amplifier switch plate???

You "could have" (as an example) a loose connection/short center wire at the trailer cable connector input fixture and there's enough signal to power one TV, but not enough to provide a "split signal" to the second TV. That's just one possibility out of many, but I'd first rule out the Wingard system with a "temporary bypass cable" to the second TV.
I guess I'll need a splitter to do that, right?
Old 12-01-2019, 04:31 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Yes, a splitter at the Winegard output to the bedroom TV, split from there to the main TV, turn them both on and see if the signal is strong enough to drive both sets.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:34 PM   #8
LHaven

Also, make sure the cables are connected to the right ports in the Winegard. If you have one of the outputs swapped with the input, it might present this symptom.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:40 PM   #9
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Also wouldn't hurt to make sure the connectors on the cables are installed properly too. Couldn't hurt.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, bedroom