Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2018, 04:29 PM   #1
Sandals 123

RV Virgins, Vancouver Island

Hello to all forum members, my name is Alan and my wife, Jill, and I are brand new RV owners! Today we bought a new Couger 29RKS and will take delivery in a couple of weeks. We will be towing her with a 2010 F350 Lariet with the power stroke diesel.

At this point, we will be limiting our travels to Vancouver Island while we learn about this new lifestyle. Our 3 small terriers will be joining us too!

Any tips, tricks, ideas, suggestions are welcome and I look forward to being an active member of this community.

Thanks
Alan and Jill
Sandals 123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 04:39 PM   #2
Chris P

Welcome to the forum from New Jersey congratulations on your new camper, there are a lot of great people and info here.
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:27 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new RV!! You have come to the right place for help, information and just general RV stuff!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:23 AM   #4
Sandals 123

Thanks for the welcome

Hi Chris & Sourdough, thanks for the welcome and for participating in this forum. At this point, I have realized that I have a very steep learning curve ahead of me with this new RV purchase so I am keen to learn from members here!

Alan
Old 10-28-2018, 08:24 AM   #5
Chris P

Just be sure to completely go through the unit entirely before you take it off the lot,Its easier to have them take care of things right then and there.Of course if there is anything to take care .
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:37 AM   #6
Retirednotdead

Hey congratulations on the new Cougar. Check out " Loveyourrv.com"
Done by a couple that also live on Vancouver Island. He has video blog on everything for maintenance and upgrades to your trailer.
This forum is good too for questions or looking stuff up.
I needed to replace our landing gear on our 5th wheel and it was great to see the video on how to do it.
Enjoy your Rv.
Peter
Old 10-28-2018, 12:05 PM   #7
JimQ

Welcome to the forum Allen and Jill. You found a great site with awesome folks. Take everything slow and easy and don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have. Congrats on the Cougar! Sounds like nice set up! Safe travels!
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:22 PM   #8
66joej

Welcome to the forum from Radium Hot Springs BC.
Spent the month of Sept. on the Island. You have some nice campgrounds out there.
Enjoy the nice setup. Answers to most all questions on here from knowledgeable folks.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:30 PM   #9
Branky

Hello and Welcome!
We are in Victoria and just got our 2nd Cougar. I believe you will be happy if you got it from the island dealer. Service is partly why we bought from them again.
I do agree with a very good walk thru. Make sure YOU and your wife try everything yourself.
Victoria, BC, Canada
Proudly Rving since 1978
Branky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:42 PM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. The search function is your friend. Plenty of good reading for the winter!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:56 AM   #11
jsmith948

Welcome from Central California. Used to haul produce into Victoria and Duncan back in the 80's. Rode the M.V. Coho out of Port Angeles. Love the island - beautiful scenery and great people. Hope to get back there one day with the Laredo in tow. Good luck and enjoy the new camper.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:48 AM   #12
AbHDToyHauler

Welcome to the forum from Calgary Alberta Canada. We are hoping to perhaps do some winter camping on the Island once we retire. Enjoy your new rig!
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:48 PM   #13
FlyingAroundRV

Welcome to the forums and to RVing.
You asked for tips and tricks, so here's a couple that you may already know but I'll send them just in case.

Get a water pressure regulator. Get one of the ones with a gauge and adjustable pressure. Set it to not much more than your water pump's output pressure.

Get a surge protector/EMS system. Get one that not only prevents surges but will protect you from incorrect voltages and incorrect wiring of park pedestals. My preference is a hwrd wired Progressive industries EMS. It doesn't have to be hooked up as an extra step when setting up, it isn't subject to theft and it has a readout that tells you what voltage is coming in and how many amps you're drawing. It also displays error codes if there are issues.

Get a TPMS to monitor your trailer tire pressures while moving. It won't guarantee you againsta a tire blowout from damage to a tire, but you will be able to see any pressure drops that will lead to tire damage.

A really good thing to have is a general purpose tool kit. I bought one from Harbor Freight that has the tools in four, blow molded drawers. It is a really convenient way to take all the tools to the work site and at the end you can readily tell if you have put away all the tools.

If you regularly travel with your spouse, buy a cheap pair of walkie-talkies. It's a much easier and better way of communicating while backing into campsites than hand signals.

Get a water filter and connect it between the hose and the trailer (not between the tap and the hose) and use it always.

If you are at a full hookup site with a sewage connection, leave your black tank valve closed until you need to actually dump the tank, otherwise you'll end up with the "poo mountain" in your tank.

A good way to "scrub" the black tank is to do the following: after you have dumped the tank and before you set off for the next campsite, put a bag of crushed ice and some dish detergent down the toilet and also maybe a bucket of water. The ice will slosh around and scrub the tank and the sensors while you drive.

For dumping the tanks, get a clear (see through) elbow for your sewer hose. When you dump and rinse the black tank you'll be able to see when you have clear water coming out. I flush my black tank at least 3 times when I can. If I just have to dump and run, (if someone is waiting behind me at the dump station, I make sure to flush the tank at the next opportunity. Also, always use the toilet pills/bags to help keep the black tank from getting too smelly and to break down the solids.

I think there may be more that we learned, but I can't think of them right now and this post is already too long.

HTH
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:43 PM   #14
Sandals 123

WOW! Thank you so much for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
Welcome to the forums and to RVing.
You asked for tips and tricks, so here's a couple that you may already know but I'll send them just in case.

** Got one on order from Amazon! **
Get a water pressure regulator. Get one of the ones with a gauge and adjustable pressure. Set it to not much more than your water pump's output pressure.

** Still investigating options**
Get a surge protector/EMS system. Get one that not only prevents surges but will protect you from incorrect voltages and incorrect wiring of park pedestals. My preference is a hwrd wired Progressive industries EMS. It doesn't have to be hooked up as an extra step when setting up, it isn't subject to theft and it has a readout that tells you what voltage is coming in and how many amps you're drawing. It also displays error codes if there are issues.

** Any suggestions on make/model? **
Get a TPMS to monitor your trailer tire pressures while moving. It won't guarantee you againsta a tire blowout from damage to a tire, but you will be able to see any pressure drops that will lead to tire damage.

**Had a gift card for Home Depot, started**
A really good thing to have is a general purpose tool kit. I bought one from Harbor Freight that has the tools in four, blow molded drawers. It is a really convenient way to take all the tools to the work site and at the end you can readily tell if you have put away all the tools.

**Found a great pair - good idea, my wife and I can swear at each other without yelling!! **
If you regularly travel with your spouse, buy a cheap pair of walkie-talkies. It's a much easier and better way of communicating while backing into campsites than hand signals.

** Ordered from Amazon**
Get a water filter and connect it between the hose and the trailer (not between the tap and the hose) and use it always.

If you are at a full hookup site with a sewage connection, leave your black tank valve closed until you need to actually dump the tank, otherwise you'll end up with the "poo mountain" in your tank.

A good way to "scrub" the black tank is to do the following: after you have dumped the tank and before you set off for the next campsite, put a bag of crushed ice and some dish detergent down the toilet and also maybe a bucket of water. The ice will slosh around and scrub the tank and the sensors while you drive.

**Ordered from Amazon - all though the whole poop business is still kind of freaking me out**
For dumping the tanks, get a clear (see through) elbow for your sewer hose. When you dump and rinse the black tank you'll be able to see when you have clear water coming out. I flush my black tank at least 3 times when I can. If I just have to dump and run, (if someone is waiting behind me at the dump station, I make sure to flush the tank at the next opportunity. Also, always use the toilet pills/bags to help keep the black tank from getting too smelly and to break down the solids.

I think there may be more that we learned, but I can't think of them right now and this post is already too long.

HTH
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP AND PATIENCE
Old 11-04-2018, 09:49 AM   #15
Cracker727

Welcome to our forum. As a result of my recent experience with a roof warranty issue on our 2018 Cougar 25RES at time of your taking delivery I offer a word of advice. If your new Cougar comes with a ladder be sure to climb up on the roof and carefully inspect around the edges for any small cuts (less than 1/2”). When we took delivery of our new Cougar, I did not and then when I finally did get up on the roof and closely inspected my edges, I found two areas with small cuts. Upon returning to my selling dealer and their inspection (taking pictures) and requesting Keystone to replace the roof because of the cuts, they refused the request and we are left with just sealing around each of the cuts and even having to pay the selling dealer to do it. Checking that everything is working and nothing is missing or broken is a must and do not let your dealer “rush” you through your inspection to get you on your way. Enjoy your new Cougar after you take delivery
Cracker727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:13 AM   #16
Sandals 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker727 View Post
Welcome to our forum. As a result of my recent experience with a roof warranty issue on our 2018 Cougar 25RES at time of your taking delivery I offer a word of advice. If your new Cougar comes with a ladder be sure to climb up on the roof and carefully inspect around the edges for any small cuts (less than 1/2”). When we took delivery of our new Cougar, I did not and then when I finally did get up on the roof and closely inspected my edges, I found two areas with small cuts. Upon returning to my selling dealer and their inspection (taking pictures) and requesting Keystone to replace the roof because of the cuts, they refused the request and we are left with just sealing around each of the cuts and even having to pay the selling dealer to do it. Checking that everything is working and nothing is missing or broken is a must and do not let your dealer “rush” you through your inspection to get you on your way. Enjoy your new Cougar after you take delivery
Thanks Cracker, that is lousy story for you but a great reminder for us! We get 2 "walk throughs" with our dealer, one on Nov 16th and then another one in the Spring when we take her out for the first time.

One of the reasons we bought a Cougar is because of the tremendous feedback and customer support of the local dealer, Greg's RV in Duncan, BC. They have be fantastic and so patient with us so far so I hope that support continues after the sale...

We will keep you posted.

Thanks again
Alan and Jill
Old 11-04-2018, 02:03 PM   #17
dsttexas

Suggestions at dealer, and for sewer.

Agree with the dealer walk-through being very thorough, likely over 2 hours if really thorough. Include hooking up and getting to leave, then do an unhook, level, slides, open up,etc. Especially walk through all the convenience center hook ups and options, and even video their explanations. Make sure you actually do all the operations, not just watch them.

For black water connection, get a Camco Rhino Blaster setup to connect your sewer hose, then use the water hose port on it to blast water into the tank after you first drain it, give it a couple minutes to push water in, turn off valve and let empty again. If still getting "stuff", do it again.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-39080-R...ose+flush+port
Old 11-04-2018, 02:55 PM   #18
Sandals 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsttexas View Post
Agree with the dealer walk-through being very thorough, likely over 2 hours if really thorough. Include hooking up and getting to leave, then do an unhook, level, slides, open up,etc. Especially walk through all the convenience center hook ups and options, and even video their explanations. Make sure you actually do all the operations, not just watch them.

For black water connection, get a Camco Rhino Blaster setup to connect your sewer hose, then use the water hose port on it to blast water into the tank after you first drain it, give it a couple minutes to push water in, turn off valve and let empty again. If still getting "stuff", do it again.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-39080-R...ose+flush+port
Thanks for the tip, I have just ordered the Camco Rhino blaster!

Our dealer asked us to be at the lot at 9am and told us to expect to be there ALL DAY! Probably best because we have never owned an RV before. We are also going to "camp" in it that night right in the dealership lot!! LOL!

What kind of crazy adventure am I signing up for?

Thanks
Alan and Jill
Old 11-04-2018, 05:26 PM   #19
itat

Welcome to the forum from back east.

I agree with most of the tips in previous posts but have a difference of opinion on some.

The Rhino Blaster type accessory won’t work if you have any bends in the outlet pipe from your black and grey tanks.
https://youtu.be/dfTd0Slt_cU

Walkie-talkies are good but we use our cell phones for 2-way conversations.

Ice in the black tank is not going to be very effective. Here’s a video on it:
https://youtu.be/iH6acEmqvcw

It would be interesting to see what a dealer would do if you found a small (less than 1/2”) nick in the roof membrane. I doubt the dealer or Keystone would agree to replace the roof when a simple bit of self-leveling sealant or Eternabond tape would suffice.

A TPMS is not a “must have” but certainly a good “nice to have”. I don’t have one. If you think the tires on it are suspect, change them out for good quality ST tires, including the spare. You should be checking the tire pressures every day and don’t overload your trailer. A trip to a local scale can tell you if the tires are over their weight capacity. When I replaced my tires I went up one load range (C to D) and installed metal valve stems.

I’ve attached the PDI checklist I used for my last purchase. It’s for a travel trailer but other than the weight distribution hitch most a the points are the same on a fifth wheel.

I second the recommendation for “Love Your RV” on YouTube. I also learned a lot from “RVgeeks”.

Best wishes for your new Cougar. Hopefully you’ll make lots of great memories.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PDI Checklist For Travel Trailers.pdf (115.8 KB, 111 views)
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2014-2018)
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:41 PM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

I have to disagree with the above post.

A TPMS IS a must have IMO. You can buy the best tires, air them every day, crawl around under the trailer every morning/evening to make sure you don't have a nick etc. etc.,....OR, just put on the TPMS. You don't have to check air pressures every morning, worry about leaking stems etc. The TPMS is telling you every minute your pressure and heat....and will alarm right away if anything goes south. Anyone running down the road not using one is like everyone else trying to "cut corners" or, just like running on "hope". TPMS, EMS....if you're going to spend any time in an RV....don't leave home without them.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote