Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2018, 06:57 AM   #1
plocklin

Angel Fire RV Resort During Christmas?

Has anyone stayed at the Angel Fire Luxury RV Resort during Christmas?

I am considering a trip there during Christmas and am seeking advice as to road conditions, temperatures, etc.

I would be traveling up from Texas so I should be able to stay on the main road and hopefully miss the dangerous passes over the mountains.
There are several ways to get there, I was thinking I 40 and 84 north.

What do you guys think? Is this doable or just an overall bad idea?

New tricks
plocklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:29 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I have not stayed at the RV resort but I have stayed in Angel Fire several times. Going up on Christmas will be iffy simply because weather will dictate what's going on. It could be real fun and easy or get nasty.

Realize that Angel Fire is a ski resort in winter so you can probably count on snow. Also, Angel Fire is remote so it's a long way from a lot of support services - not much there. If possible I try to stay away from towing to/from places with potential snow and ice - preferring to stay in a condo but that's just me.

As far as route, as you said there are many ways to get there. I always liked coming through Eagle's Nest but topping that mountain and coming into Eagle's Nest would/could be pretty hairy, and from DFW, out of the way. Having driven 10s of thousands of miles in the TX panhandle I can tell you it can get nasty in the winter and snow drifts are common due to high winds so that would be a concern.

In the end it's all up to you and how you feel about being in potential bad weather. If it were me, and I had to be there or wanted to go badly, I would rent one of the many condos there and use it to see the area if you haven't before.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:40 AM   #3
travelin texans

Years ago we lived in Dumas, north of Amarillo, & we went every winter several times & wouldn't have wanted to tow a rv up there in winter then, was a lot younger & dumber & sure wouldn't want to now regardless of the rv size. Back then there were places that required chains, 4 wheel drives weren't as popular then as now, can't imagine towing while chained up.
Back then though you never knew what the snow conditions were like til you got there. One time there wasn't enough snow to ski & you didn't need a coat, the next time the slopes might not open due to a blizzard.
There are accommodations in Eagles Nest & Red River both aren't too far from Angel Fire. Unless a lot has changed there's not much to do after skiing in Eagles Nest or Angel Fire, but Red River had lots.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:32 PM   #4
gearhead

My sister has a summer house in Angel Fire. They usually go there for Christmas. I've heard plenty stories about wicked winter weather. My brother went to visit and had to call a tow truck to get out the driveway. I think I would just fly and get a hotel.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:42 PM   #5
gearhead

Snowing today in Angel Fire.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:09 PM   #6
plocklin

Yea, it looks like there will be a lot of snow this year. I may wait until spring break to take that trip.

New tricks
Old 02-05-2019, 11:21 AM   #7
plocklin

Smile

Recap:

Well, we did the trip.

I modified the trailer with heat pads on the tanks and pluming, then put R30 in the underbelly. It worked great down to about -8f then fresh the water line froze at some point. After it warmed up to above 0 it worked fine. I had temp sensors in the belly, that showed it to be above freezing the whole time. The heating pads work great especially for towing. I just turned them on and did not have to run my furnace to keep the pluming from freezing.

I watched the weather forecast to avoid the bad weather while traveling. I had chains for the trailer and truck just in case but only needed them for the truck during our visit. The first day it snowed about 18 inches. Most nights went down to the lower teens except when we got hit with 2 new storms where one night got down to -18f and another -24f. After that the forecast showed more snow, so we left early to avoid traveling during the storm.

So, we prepared for it and took the chance. We left 2 days early to avoid bad weather and left 3 days early for the same reason. In all our stay was cut short 1 day due to the weather. I am glad I got the trailer modified to an “extreme” polar package, but I will never intentionally camp in temperatures that cold. We plan to go back for spring break to use up the rest of our lift passes. They should still have plenty of snow.

The first 3 probes are the underbelly, the 4th is the outside temp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181225_165406.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	20189   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181229_073927.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	20190   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181230_063944.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	20191   Click image for larger version

Name:	snowtrailer.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	20192   Click image for larger version

Name:	snowtruck.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	20193  

New tricks
Old 02-06-2019, 10:19 AM   #8
mfifield01

How were the temps inside the trailer? My trailer floors/walls/etc. seemed cold when camping around 30f.

We have thought about going that area to ski, but haven't thought about bringing the trailer.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:13 AM   #9
plocklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
How were the temps inside the trailer? My trailer floors/walls/etc. seemed cold when camping around 30f.

We have thought about going that area to ski, but haven't thought about bringing the trailer.
We kept it about 74 to 75 degrees. Staying warm was not a problem but I did prepare:

I ran a heavy duty extension cord through the corner of the slide and plugged in a 1500 watt oil heater (plugged into the dry dock outside). We left it going the whole time to save on propane. It did help but we also ran the central heat.

I also bought some small 250w electric space heaters from Walmart ($10 each). 1 in the bunkhouse, 1 in the bathroom, and 2 in the master bedroom. The bath is on the 1 breaker and the 3 others on another. They put off just enough heat to take the bite out of the cold with a low power drain that wouldn't fry the electrical in the trailer.

I also put a drop light with a 25w bulb in the Electrical/ Water bay (where the water line and electrical goes to the outside). It stayed about 65 degrees in there the whole time.

You can't leave the outside water hose hooked up in cold weather like this. I would fill my fresh water tank and put the hose away so it would not freeze.

Several days in I did notice ice forming on the wall under the bathroom sink. I opened all the cabinets connected to exterior walls to let them vent. I also had to open the wardrobes in the master bedroom and make sure nothing was touching the exterior walls. Anything against the exterior walls would build up condensation and either get wet or freeze.

The trip was an overall success. I definitely recommend the Angel Fire RV resort. It is a great place to stay.

New tricks
Old 02-22-2019, 01:52 PM   #10
plocklin

Trailer Failure due freezing.

I discovered a couple of problems after the Angel Fire trip:

My city water "check valve" had broken due to freezing. It had already leaked and I had a cap on it so I did not notice the spring and plunger had come apart. This caused the plunger to prevent water pressure from the city water. The other problem was my outside shower faucet is will no longer spray water (Duh).

I completely overlooked these two items when preparing for the cold weather. The check valve was already failing and needed to be replaced anyway. The outside shower - Well, we live and we learn. I guess I am just out $20.

Next time I do winter camping I will disconnect the water to the outside shower and I will maybe put a heater on the check valve (or just move the drop light closer to it).

Cheers!

New tricks
Old 07-08-2019, 12:41 PM   #11
mfifield01

I'm heading to Angel Fire (RV Resort) this weekend. Just trying to figure out the route from Lubbock over.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:18 PM   #12
plocklin

However you go, use the blue rout through Eagles Nest and not the Grey that Google Maps may recommend. The Grey route is too dangerous for pulling a trailer. If you call the RV Park and ask they will tell you the same thing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AF_RV.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	22887  

New tricks
Old 07-18-2019, 12:23 PM   #13
plocklin

Angel Fire During July 2019

Went back to Angel Fire last week (Mid July). This place is absolutely beautiful during the summer. The temps were in the 70's during the days and down to the 40's at night.

We saw Elk, Pronghorns and Deer(I think Mule deer). Humming birds were everywhere.

Had a Great Time
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190708_134425556_HDR.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	369.3 KB
ID:	22888   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190708_132734021.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	297.5 KB
ID:	22889  

New tricks
Old 07-18-2019, 03:08 PM   #14
Snoking

We did a day trip from Taos doing the loop route to Angel Fire then Red River CCW and then back to Taos back in the fall of 2007. Pretty country. There is a Vietnam Memorial along the highway near Angel Fire. Chris
Old 07-19-2019, 06:16 AM   #15
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by plocklin View Post
However you go, use the blue rout through Eagles Nest and not the Grey that Google Maps may recommend. The Grey route is too dangerous for pulling a trailer. If you call the RV Park and ask they will tell you the same thing.
That's the route I took (blue). I drove up through Logan from Clovis. We left Angel Fire on Tuesday and are now at Columbine Campground (near Questa).