Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
DennisT

Dometic fridge drain hose replacement: HOW ??

Well, I couldn't find anything about this on, "search," so here goes:

Our Keystone 266RL is a 2009 model. The Dometic Model RMxxx, fridge has that little flexible white drain hose that sticks out through the external fridge service cover. Today while checking the TT over for the season, I had that cover removed and happened to touch that hose.......which promptly broke off. It was then that I realized I was looking at 3 more little pieces of white hose laying in the bottom of that enclosure. The hose is disintegrating right before my very eyes !!

I've heard of cheap, but................

We got the TT late last summer and used it 3 times then. Not out yet this year due to wife's bad health, (still hoping). I've never noticed any water running from this hose; is it for condensation draining? Or defrost draining?

Main question: How the devil does one get to the upper part of the hose to replace it?? It disappears up into a void with no apparent access at all.

If the fridge has to be pulled out from the wall, inside, that sounds like a nightmare.

Help?

Dennis
DennisT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

I replaced mine last year with vinyl tubing I bought from Home Depot. It is a defrost hose from the fridge .... the freezer has to be wiped out with a towel. If I remember right I did it mostly by feel and just pushed the tube on and then cable tied it to something so it would not pull off. I don't remember what size tube but try to save a piece of the old one to compare. Make it long enough so you can stick it through the vent to the outside and still be able to remove the vent easily. Hope this helps, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
DennisT

hose

Hank, thank you. Best thing you said is that you did it by feel. Which tells me there may be NO rigidly fastened hose clamp where it attaches to the fridge. A push fit would be nice, (whew, in fact).

I'll go look again. At first it didn't appear my hand would fit up in there. However, I doubt there is very much distance involved either.

I would think a quality rubber hose would work too, and last a LOT longer than the old junk.

Dennis
Old 05-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Dennis,

It's all a pressure fitting. The hose slides onto the drain collector mounted in the back wall of the refrigerator which is under the drain pain located under the aluminum fins inside the refrigerator. As water drips from the fins, it collects in the pan and drains out through the hose. Without it, the floor under the refrigerator would stay wet and eventually rot. You may get half a cup of condensation on a really REALLY humid day, and there's never any pressure on the hose, so as long as you're sure you have it pushed onto the drain, and it's snug in place, you should be "golden"

There is no clamp or retaining ring on the corrugated hose that you had fall apart in your hands. However, there is a plug in the end that sticks through the vent. Its purpose is to prevent bugs and dirt/dust from blowing back into the refrigerator through the condensation drain hose.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

I guess when my white hose fell apart that plug disappeared. Thanks John, I will have to see what I can come up with to replace it. Hank
Old 05-10-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
DennisT

hose

Hank, that's the first thing I noticed after I pulled off the outside panel - I was standing around doing something and I saw a little white lump on the gravel that didn't look like it belonged there. It was the plug with a half-inch of broken tubing around it. Simple plug with 3 or so holes drilled in it to let the water out.

Since my last post I took a better light out and found that I could remove two screws above the opening and a small piece of that cheap wood panel came out. Now I can see up enough to see where the hose attaches. There is a small ty-rap holding the hose on the fridge end. I think I can reach that now get it off, and use the same space to reattach a new hose.

The black metal tubes that run back-and-forth on the rear of the fridge: do they run hot or cold? I know every fridge I've seen has those but I can't remember if they get hot when the fridge runs. If I can, I could ty-rap the new hose a little bit to one of those as a strain-relief as the hose passes down and out.

Thanks for the help. I can see my way out of this now.

Dennis
Old 05-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

So that's where I lost it ..... I'll send you an envelope so you can return it.

Now I seem to remember cutting off that Ty-wrap with a pair of side cutters and I did ty-wrap the new hose as you mentioned. Even if that tube does get hot it will not be enough to damage the new hose.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
I guess when my white hose fell apart that plug disappeared. Thanks John, I will have to see what I can come up with to replace it. Hank
Hank, The part number is 2932115013 but I think any of the old red "cannon plug covers" used on many electrical connectors that will slip into the end of your hose would work. Just ned a 1/8" drill bit to put a few holes in it and you're all set.....

Now you know where the extra "fried grasshoppers" on the frige shelf came from. Some say they go good with a nice cool one Hmmmmm

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #9
halfprice

Look here, but I think you already figured out the top board.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5936

Jerry

2008 Keystone Springdale 242FWRLSSR 5th wheel
2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
16K Super Glide Sliding Hitch
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #10
DennisT

hose

Thanks, Jerry. I looked up your other thread and photos. Yup, you have the identical set-up. I happened to run to town this afternoon and grabbed some vinyl tubing which I, "think," is the right size, (yes, I took a sample of the junk tubing...which appears to be no more than auto electrical split loom....used to enclose wiring runs. At least mine is split full length.)

Tomorrow I'll see if I can fasten the tubing at the fridge end. Not sure the space will allow use of a hose clamp.

I also noticed a large bug trying to get into this same enclosure, so now I will probably put up another post asking about availability of a bug-proof fridge cover.

Dennis
Old 05-11-2013, 06:10 AM   #11
Bugle Boy

That original plastic tube gets very brittle over time. I had to replace the one in our Sunline last year.

Inserting the new tube from inside the fridge.

2014 Cougar 31RKS
TV 2012 Ford F250

https://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps6b1f8d57.jpg
Bugle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:32 AM   #12
Bugle Boy

"However, there is a plug in the end that sticks through the vent. Its purpose is to prevent bugs and dirt/dust from blowing back into the refrigerator through the condensation drain hose. "

Hmmm, I never had a plug on mine. Is this plug removable? Pourous? Maybe I'll tywrap a piece of screen over mine.

Never had a bug in the fridge either that I know of.
US Navy Submarine Veteran
2014 Cougar 31RKS
TV 2012 Ford F250

Old 05-11-2013, 06:56 AM   #13
hankpage
Site Team

Paul, Thanks for the photos .... I never would have thought to go from the inside.
Dennis, I think Camco makes vent screen inserts for the outside fridge cover for under $25.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:00 AM   #14
Bugle Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Paul, Thanks for the photos .... I never would have thought to go from the inside.
Dennis, I think Camco makes vent screen inserts for the outside fridge cover for under $25.
I didn't tell you the full story. I had to fiddle with that inside part quite a while before I got it out. Those two little barbs snap it in place. And I had to make the hole slightly bigger to get the thicker hose and clamp through.

Also those refrigerant tubes back there are thin. Be very careful working around them.
2014 Cougar 31RKS
TV 2012 Ford F250

Old 05-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #15
DennisT

hose

Good information; helpful photos. Thank you.

I'm nervous about taking things loose from the inside. As quick as I can get back out there to continue, I'll try from the back first.

Dennis
Old 06-21-2018, 12:07 PM   #16
LaredoCT

Dometic refrigerator drain tube replacement

As with others, my drain tube became brittle and broke off. On my 2011 Laredo I had to take out the metal cover plate in front of the propane portion of the refrigerator from the outside to snake my hand all the way up to the right at the top to pull off the old tube. Then I had my wife hold the drain inside the refrigerator while I took a piece of clear tubing and pushed it as far as it would go on to the drain fitting. I had taken the drain tube out of the inside of the refrigerator but the new clear tubing would not push through the hole that was there - it was too big. Unlike other people there was no piece of plywood with two screws to take off above the outside portion.
LaredoCT is offline   Reply With Quote