Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2018, 08:08 AM   #1
tundrwd

Propane Bottle cover lost it's lid

On a trip this summer, we lost the "lid" on our propane bottle cover. Not sure if it's a Camco - but sure looks identical.

I need to replace before the rains/snows fly and gets down into the bottles and causes rust, rot and ruination

I've got a Camco in my Amazon list - BUT I'm wondering if there is something significantly better that doesn't have that issue - OR - if someone has made a modification to the lid so it doesn't blow off.

Yes, I did reverse the lid so it opened towards the TV, it's just after a few opens/closes, the cheapie "hinges" just wouldn't hold very well anymore.

I've wondering about drilling a few holes (3-4 on cover and corresponding holes on lid) on the hinge side and putting some zipties in there to hold in case the hinges let go again.

Other ideas?
tundrwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:06 AM   #2
Voyager

I lost mine as well, was able to buy a replacement at my local RV dealer, I did drill holes and used Zip ties as a backup and it works well. I suggest everyone should do it.
2 Champion 2000's
Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:35 AM   #3
JimQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I lost mine as well, was able to buy a replacement at my local RV dealer, I did drill holes and used Zip ties as a backup and it works well. I suggest everyone should do it.
That's a great tip! I'll do it to mine. Thank You!
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:45 PM   #4
cookinwitdiesel

Maybe try drilling a hole on each side and a bungie cord? That way removing and replacing the cover does not require more zip ties
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 01:28 PM   #5
JimQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
Maybe try drilling a hole on each side and a bungie cord? That way removing and replacing the cover does not require more zip ties
Drill a small hole adjacent to each plastic hinge and zip tie there. it wraps the hinge and keeps the hinge together. The cover opens and closes with no issues. The main body of the cover has a small bungee at the base.
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:00 PM   #6
B-O-B'03

After traveling in a west Texas, 40 MPH, cross wind, my lid was missing when we got to our destination.

I ordered the replacement from Amazon and it looked like the one I lost, just a little brighter white.

After 6 months of use, it matches the cover color just fine.

-Brian
Old 11-03-2018, 04:56 PM   #7
tundrwd

Ordered a replacement lid from Amazon today. I'll put about 3 holes in it, and secure it to the cover with some zip ties.
tundrwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, propane