Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2018, 02:16 PM   #1
CampNBrew2

Slide newbie- Lots of questions

New to slides here. I want to make sure my slide is operating correctly and keep it adjusted properly. I have the Norco manuals but never heard about proper operation or adjusting for slide room orientation.

-What is the proper orientation of the slide while In/Out/ In motion?
When retracting, it makes sense that the top should touch first to ensure the seal is compressed and water tight. If this is correct, what is the proper clearance at the bottom flange when the top is touching?

-How about extending? I assume the roof should be sloped downward when the trailer is level for runoff? I will be installing a slide topper but still want to know.

-How tight should I be pulling the slide in? I want it to be water tight but don't want to stress or break anything. I cannot believe there are no limit switches on the motors. Seems all too easy to break something or get hurt if a cable lets go. I usually bring it in until the motor barely starts to labor and release the switch.

- I have read on this forum that slides should not be loaded unless fully extended. Is the floor of the slide not supported inside the trailer?

-I assumed there were rollers on the trailer floor and mating tracks or bearing surfaces of some sort on the slide. Now I'm reading about a "wear bar". Does the entire Darco undercoat of the slide ride on this bar? (and WTH, really!?) It seems it would just shred it over time. I cant believe that would be the bearing surface. Need lubrication?

-Baby powder vs PTFE for the seals? Both seem to have good reviews. Pros/Cons of each?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go along, just want to do it right and make it last.
Thanks All!
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:57 PM   #2
66joej

-Baby powder vs PTFE for the seals? Both seem to have good reviews. Pros/Cons of each

Furniture polish has also been mentioned as a slide seal lube. I have not tried it. Been using baby powder for years. Cheap and it works. YMMV

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:06 PM   #3
CampNBrew2

Not sure what the ingredients are in Pledge. I read about silicone spray causing dragging. It sure works great for my table saw and router tables though!
Old 08-22-2018, 03:08 PM   #4
CampNBrew2

I have the baby powder already for changing tires on my dirt bike. Not supposed to use it on babies anymore though there are a few of those around here too

Tags
newbie, slide