Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2017, 04:59 PM   #1
busterbrown

Fresh Cab by Earthkind no longer available

It seems that the company is no longer producing the current formula and supplies have dried up everywhere. Even their Stay Away - Mice product is in limited, short supply.

-Bummed in the Motor City.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:05 PM   #2
Javi

https://www.earthkind.com/blog/happe...ent-repellent/

Nope... got to meet EPA standards... still available online for a while..
Old 10-26-2017, 05:43 PM   #3
vampress_me

If they truly "chose" to take Fresh Cab off the market to refresh it. They chose a poor time to do it. That stuff is harder to find than gold right now...and costs about as much if you can find it. Sadly, from people who have tried the minty smelling stuff by them, friends say it doesn't work near as well.

FWIW - some Runnings stores in MN seem to still get a supply of Fresh Cab in, luckily!

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:21 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

This is unfortunate for those of us that use it. It has always done a wonderful job for us on the RV and other places that we use it. I dropped by Tractor Supply, where I always buy it, and there was none. Went online and there was none but I saw the "replacement". Hmmm, Fresh Cab had something like a 4+ star review and the replacement was like 2 stars. Guess I'll have to go back to rat shot in a 22, snap traps, glue strips, BB guns and all the other "environmentally friendly" things we are supposed to use.....Jeez, the PC stuff about wears me out.....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:00 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

We can't find it in northern Michigan either. It was on the shelf in July, I thought about getting some, decided, "nah, wait till October, it'll be fresher"... Well......... I always leave the old packets in place until I get the new ones, maybe they help, maybe not, but they don't take up much space.

Anyway, when I couldn't find any Fresh Cab on the shelf and none to be ordered, I bought a 4 ounce bottle of Balsam Fir Oil and drizzled it on each of the old packets. I don't know if it will work or not, but like sourdough, I know the "peppermint packets" don't work worth a hoot. Hopefully the Fir Oil will work for this winter and we'll see the "new improved version" on the shelves next fall.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:41 AM   #6
slow

You may have better luck with a Canadian online store. I purchased mine here even with a out of stock statement that contradicted the in stock quantity listed. https://www.rvpartscanada.com/index....1#.WfMMs7pFyzk
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:37 AM   #7
Dave W

We have an order out for delivery today via Ebay. Dang but that stuff got expensive at $42/USD for four pouches. That was the only place my wife could find that had any.

Why is it when you find a product that works, no matter what the applicatin, the manufacturer either disappears or, tada, IMPROVES it --NOT
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:44 AM   #8
slow

From the website Javi provided a link to:

"Was Fresh Cab discontinued?

Rest assured that Fresh Cab will return as soon as we are able to guarantee that it is made with highest quality, EPA registered ingredients. If you haven’t already, you can sign up for an email notification as soon as it’s available here. In the meantime, we want to thank you for trusting us to protect your home and family. We invite you to try our other products. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us with any questions or concerns."

I suspect it was not their choice to stop shipments.
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 10-27-2017, 07:45 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
This is unfortunate for those of us that use it. It has always done a wonderful job for us on the RV and other places that we use it. I dropped by Tractor Supply, where I always buy it, and there was none. Went online and there was none but I saw the "replacement". Hmmm, Fresh Cab had something like a 4+ star review and the replacement was like 2 stars. Guess I'll have to go back to rat shot in a 22, snap traps, glue strips, BB guns and all the other "environmentally friendly" things we are supposed to use.....Jeez, the PC stuff about wears me out.....
Anyone remember the old Dcon rat and mouse poison? Worked great but EPA said no no. Now Dcon bait traps are useless. I put them out and not a nibble.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:24 AM   #10
Tbos

Bad news. I hope the base doesn't pick up the feral cats near our storage area. They seem to help keep the rodent population down too.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:51 AM   #11
KCSA75

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
From the website Javi provided a link to:

"Was Fresh Cab discontinued?

Rest assured that Fresh Cab will return as soon as we are able to guarantee that it is made with highest quality, EPA registered ingredients. If you haven’t already, you can sign up for an email notification as soon as it’s available here. In the meantime, we want to thank you for trusting us to protect your home and family. We invite you to try our other products. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us with any questions or concerns."

I suspect it was not their choice to stop shipments.
1. Improving the product is fine, but why would they quit shipping the existing product in the meantime. This is why treehuggers get a bad rap.

2. With current leadership at the EPA I seriously doubt Earthkind was forced to quit shipping.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." — Ferris Bueller
KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:41 AM   #12
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSA75 View Post
1. Improving the product is fine, but why would they quit shipping the existing product in the meantime.

2. With current leadership at the EPA I seriously doubt Earthkind was forced to quit shipping.
Some inspector was probably on a power trip.
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 10-28-2017, 12:00 PM   #13
Dave W

Out 'original' stuff arrived in a USPS virtually destroyed package. The vendor has promised to send out another shipment on Monday. It is available, you just need to look and pay the high price.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 12:46 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

I suppose something happened to make them reformulate to be more "EPA friendly". I figure it's going to be like everything else that works and is then reformulated.....it won't work.

It appears that the product is still out there in places; I assume sitting on a shelf until it sells out. Unfortunately, no one close to us has it and I'm leaving for FL in the morning. I'll do some checking as we travel along and see if there's any to be had somewhere.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:15 AM   #15
TyeeMan

I've been using two things from Bonide, Mouse Magic and Repels All in liquid and granular form. Both are all natural and do a super job!! I'd say give it a try.

Oh, and the Bonide Snake Away keeps the garter snakes away. Hate, hate, hate snakes.
TyeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:56 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyeeMan View Post
I've been using two things from Bonide, Mouse Magic and Repels All in liquid and granular form. Both are all natural and do a super job!! I'd say give it a try.

Oh, and the Bonide Snake Away keeps the garter snakes away. Hate, hate, hate snakes.
If you left the snakes alone, you may not have a mouse problem. Depends on how strong your heart is though..... LOL

Family Farm and Home has Fresh Cab on their website but not in the stores (yet). One member sent me a PM yesterday and told me he ordered it last week and it was delivered earlier this week. Apparently the supply is being shipped again. The only problem is, if you only order one box of 4, the shipping is almost as much as the product. https://shop.familyfarmandhome.com/p...%7C760119.html

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:57 PM   #17
KCSA75

I may have solved the mystery. Over the last I've looked and called all over. Today, I called Menards and talked to a guy who said they had a bunch on the shelf.
Great. I'll see in in 30 to 45 minutes. But when I got to the store it was nowhere to be found. So i went to the service desk and told her my story. She called the guy I spoke with on the phone and he took me right to it.
Only problem is the y changed the name and the packaging. It's now called Stay Away. I would have called BS but the display had a small Fresh Cab logo.
He told me it's the same stuff. We'll see. We're probably putting the Cougar up for the winter after this trip. I'll report back in the spring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171103_155227.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	14484  
Old 11-03-2017, 03:45 PM   #18
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSA75 View Post
I may have solved the mystery. Over the last I've looked and called all over. Today, I called Menards and talked to a guy who said they had a bunch on the shelf.
Great. I'll see in in 30 to 45 minutes. But when I got to the store it was nowhere to be found. So i went to the service desk and told her my story. She called the guy I spoke with on the phone and he took me right to it.
Only problem is the y changed the name and the packaging. It's now called Stay Away. I would have called BS but the display had a small Fresh Cab logo.
He told me it's the same stuff. We'll see. We're probably putting the Cougar up for the winter after this trip. I'll report back in the spring.
Unfortunately, completely incorrect.

Earthkind makes (made) two separate products, Fresh Cab and Stay Away - Mice. Earthkind stopped producing Fresh Cab several months ago as the EPA had issues with the current formula. As to what the issues were, I do not know. The botanical makeup included Balsam Fir Oil and other fragrant oils. Stay Away is a secondary product that does not include Balsam Fir oil, but rather rosemary, mint, and cedar oils. Reviews of the latter aren't encouraging.

I did read that Fresh Cab was informally referred to as 'Stay Away' years ago when the product line launched. But sometime after, the Stay Away name was branded as what it's known today. Earthkind took it a step further and markets several specialty repellants including Stay Away - Ants, Stay Away - Moths, and Stay Away - Spiders. A worthy note, Balsam Fir Oil is not included as an active ingredient in any of these.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:09 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post

Earthkind makes (made) two separate products, Fresh Cab and Stay Away - Mice. Earthkind stopped producing Fresh Cab several months ago as the EPA had issues with the current formula. As to what the issues were, I do not know. The botanical makeup included Balsam Fir Oil and other fragrant oils. Stay Away is a secondary product that does not include Balsam Fir oil, but rather rosemary, mint, and cedar oils. Reviews of the latter aren't encouraging.

I did read that Fresh Cab was informally referred to as 'Stay Away' years ago when the product line launched. But sometime after, the Stay Away name was branded as what it's known today. Earthkind took it a step further and markets several specialty repellants including Stay Away - Ants, Stay Away - Moths, and Stay Away - Spiders. A worthy note, Balsam Fir Oil is not included as an active ingredient in any of these.

Busterbrown beat me to it. When I was researching the other day I am positive the "alternative" to Fresh Cab was Stay Away....and it had bad reviews.

I am in FL now and from the web it appears there is a location near me that may have ?? amounts of Fresh Cab. I put in a quantity of 10 and it said available. Don't know what they have but I figure I'll buy it all because it has really worked for me.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:02 AM   #20
KCSA75

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post

Well ****.