Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2012, 08:17 AM   #1
Retired CSIGuy

Upgraded 383 spring shackles

Thinking about upgrading my OE spring shackles on my '10 40' Fuzion 383 FWTH. Anyone have any recommendations on after market products? What about the springs themselves? Thanks
Yamaha RSV-S
Retired CSIGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Quite a number of members,, including myself, have found that the shackles, bushings, bolts and other OE suspension components are of really poor quality and have replaced them. You can purchase various suspension kits online through trailer suppliers or you might consider something like E-Z Flex (or something similar) which I think hankpage has installed on his 5th wheel.
If you are handy, you can do this job yourself or take it in and have it done for you.
Sorry, can't help you with the springs other than suggesting you take a look at Timbren spring kits. Some members here have had these installed. You can go online and do some research into this particular spring helper.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

As Festus2 mentioned, I replaced my shackles with Dexter EZ- flex, but I don't think Dexter makes a kit for tri-axle trailers. Lippert makes a kit in their version which is Trail-Air Equa-Flex and come for tri-axle. It may be worth looking into. If you do decide to replace your shackles, replace all the hanger bolts with wet-bolts (grease-able) and metal bushings (brass or bronze) while your at it. You won't be disappointed. Good luck, Hank

I would think that the install would be similar to The Dexter kit I installed.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:42 AM   #4
gbsb

I also have a 2010 383 Fuzion TE11. Are you having problems with your springs and shackles or just trying to avert a problem. Just wondering what to look for before a problem arises. We fulltime in our 383 and love it. George
Living the dream fulltiming across America
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #5
campingcpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired CSIGuy View Post
Thinking about upgrading my OE spring shackles on my '10 40' Fuzion 383 FWTH. Anyone have any recommendations on after market products? What about the springs themselves? Thanks
The Dexter kits for your triple axle would be either K71-656-00 (33" axle center with axles up to 6000 lbs) or the K71-657-00 (35" axle center with axles up to 8000 lbs). Here is a link to the Dexter parts. These kits will have everything you need except for the parts that are welded to the frame. http://dexteraxle.com/e_z_flex_equalizers

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
KenBob

I installed the Dexter EZ-Flex K71-656-00 on our Fuzion 360. Replaces the equalizers perfectly. However, as mentioned, they are designed for 6k axles. The 360 has 7k axles. The factory equalizers and axle spacing match the Dexter EZ-flex kit part # to part #. A friend and I installed the kit on the triple axle 360 in about 3 hours. We did have some previous experience and used tricks that others used to make the install go faster. Having some tools not found in most tool boxes made the job easier as well.

I had no problem deciding to install this kit. Gotta love not squeaking around campgrounds and fuel stops! Nice and Quiet!

A couple of the original nylon bushings were already getting worn. Thats after about 2000 miles.
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
bdaniel

I have over 15,000 miles on my Copper Canyon. The day I brought it home new I installed the Dexter EZ Flex kit and have been very satisfied. The install is not hard if you are a do it yourself kind of guy.

I do not have photos on my website yet but below are some of the problems I had on my previous Forest River Wildcat. I don't fault the Widcat, all manufacturers use the same gear. If you plan to put many miles on your camper you should probably consider upgrading the suspension.

Worn Spring Shackles

Worn Spring Shackles Again

Broken Springs

Bobby
bdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote