Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Recalls
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2017, 07:06 AM   #21
SmittysRV

We have the same issue on our Keystone Raptor front cap. We purchased a warranty for the Tires, Interior fabric and exterior protection back when we bout the 5er new. When I noticed the fading I called the warranty company and there were several things they wanted, pictures and an estimate. At the end of the day its in the shop getting the front cap fixed under warranty!! We shall see how long the new cap will last. I have been thinking about making a cover for just the cap as it faces south while stored in our driveway. Has anyone done this? Here are a few pictures of the fading and sticker delamination.

https://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps7fb09er8.png

Tow Vehicle: 2006 F550 studded and bullet proofed!
Toys: 2012 RZR XP4 900, Yamaha WR450, TTR230 and 2 TTR90s.
SmittysRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:24 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

That's great news !! Hopefully your problems with faded decals and oxidized paint will be completely solved. As for covering the front of your trailer to prevent "sun damage", be aware that several of us "speculate" (nobody can prove or disprove) that moisture under a canvas or similar cover enhances the chances of any moisture being turned to steam and penetrating the FILON. This steam (we think) causes delamination of the fiberglass from the luan/cardboard backing and creates significant water intrusion damage to the fiberglass.

So, if you're going to cover the front to protect the decals, consider that you might be setting yourself up for even more costly damage in the long run. Can't win??? Sometimes it seems that way. If you do want to shade the front of your RV from the sun, you might want to look at developing some type of "shade" without actually putting a cover on the RV.

Keep us posted on the repainting/decal replacement and congratulations on the "win" with your aftermarket protection company...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:26 AM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

As John mentioned you may want to find a way to shade the sun from the trailer.

In our case we have plenty of room on our property to store the trailer but, after already having the cap painted once due to fading, we decided to rent an eclosed, insulated 55x18 storage building. The W TX heat and sun is just too much to take another chance.

If they are going to re-paint your cap make sure they use a top grade automotive paint and then clear coat it. I asked them to put at least 2 coats of clear coat on mine. So far (3 years), no issues.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:42 AM   #24
UsTwo

I have a fading cap on my Cougar..What about instead of fighting the fade and or repainting. Having a company do a wrap job on the cap..Would this work ??

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:45 AM   #25
oldcow

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsTwo View Post
I have a fading cap on my Cougar..What about instead of fighting the fade and or repainting. Having a company do a wrap job on the cap..Would this work ??
At some point that is what I am planning.

Oldcow

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
oldcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:08 PM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

If you do a "Google Search" for "how long do vinyl wraps last?" you'll see that the typical vinyl wrap on an automobile lasts 5-7 years. On boats (similar environment as an RV) depending on the quality of vinyl and ink, the "advertised life span" can be anywhere from 2 years to 7 years. The "premium vinyl wraps" (highest cost) gives the longest life, but at the greatest expense.

If you think about a faded cap on a 2011 RV, it's already 6 or 7 years old. That would put it in comparative longevity to the "premium category" of vinyl wraps. Depending on your wallet, your needs and expectations and your plans to keep the RV for a specific time frame, the expense of painting vs the expense of a "premium wrap" vs living with the existing faded cap and waxing/polycoating is a choice that each individual owner has to decide.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 03:01 PM   #27
gthomas2

Marine grade paint, I used white 2 coats, reduced the heat absorption as well cooled down the bedroom
gthomas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:27 AM   #28
SmittysRV

Got the Raptor back the other day. I think it came out great!! I decided to go with just the RAPTOR sticker and not the entire mural set up. What do you think?

Before

After

https://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps7fb09er8.png

Tow Vehicle: 2006 F550 studded and bullet proofed!
Toys: 2012 RZR XP4 900, Yamaha WR450, TTR230 and 2 TTR90s.
SmittysRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:20 PM   #29
Bulletproof

Looks better!

2005 Chevy Avalanche Z71
2011 Bullet 281BHS
P3 Controller.
New to camping, Girls 7 and 10, Yellow Lab Dakota!
Bulletproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:45 PM   #30
fixn2gocamp

Looks great!!
2020 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4
Reese M-5 20000 Lb 5th wheel hitch
Also in inventory: 2020 Big Horn 3925 MLP 5th wheel
fixn2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:54 AM   #31
Msmith2054

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose308 View Post
Just emailed Keystone on 2013 Laredo fading.I know they spend a lot of money advertising to sell their products as I have bought 4 new ones.Let us see how this handle this one.I will keep posting progress.
Keep us informed as we have a 2013 Laredo also with an almost light grey cap, was originally the dark glossy brown.
Msmith2054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:49 AM   #32
starman

Faded front cap

The same thing happened to our Keystone Cougar. It was out of warranty and we had to have it corrected by repainting it with automotive paint as suggested by Keystone and the dealer where we purchased it. We paid $800 to have it done and less than a year later, it is happening again. Pretty sad for $45,000.00 2014 fiver
starman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:55 AM   #33
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman View Post
The same thing happened to our Keystone Cougar. It was out of warranty and we had to have it corrected by repainting it with automotive paint as suggested by Keystone and the dealer where we purchased it. We paid $800 to have it done and less than a year later, it is happening again. Pretty sad for $45,000.00 2014 fiver

The only really good way to fix that is to have it done in a base coat/clear coat. A single stage paint just wont survive the sun as well. Ours was done prior to delivery in Aug 2014 using DuPont ChromaColor and their clear coat. A yearly waxing or two with a good automotive product keeps it looking like the day it was delivered
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:21 AM   #34
Cosmo

We too have a fading issue on our cap of 2013 Cougar X-lite but we bought this from a private owner but my question would be is there a way to find out the numbers of the colors that would be needed to repaint the cap as we have someone that does auto painting..
Cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote