Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2018, 05:02 AM   #1
wraenking

Help checking new setup

Hello everyone. Picking up our new 2018 277bhs today. We have a 2014 Yukon XL Denali with towing package and will be utilizing our 10,000 4 point equalizer. We had a Rockwood Roo 21ss previously

8 never worries about weight before with the old trailer but I am with the new one.

Now I know we all see plenty of trucks like mine pulling big trailers but I just want some input from everyone

GCVW 14,000lbs
GVWR. 7500lbs
Estimatd cargo and passengers in truck 700 lbs
Trailer dry 5937lbs
Teialer combined 7500lbs
Estimated trailer cargo 1000lbs

I think I am close. But I just want some opinions. Upgrading to a new TV right now is not an option.

Thanks!
wraenking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:38 AM   #2
Retired Copper

Lt tires on TV, 5100 shocks and e4 adjusted and torqued to specs is about all you can do for the TV. Power is not the issue stability might be. Balance the trailer tires might help. Your at the very least seem to be at max tow when loaded. DW had a Yukon and after checking everything I think her max tow was about 6100 lbs and that would depend on loading Tv and trailer
Equalizer 4 pt.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:51 AM   #3
wraenking

I figured as much. The dealer will be switching over my equalizer setup. It's been a while since I didn't it. They can set it up properly without all the weight?
Old 05-19-2018, 08:37 AM   #4
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraenking View Post
I figured as much. The dealer will be switching over my equalizer setup. It's been a while since I didn't it. They can set it up properly without all the weight?
You may/probably will have to readjust once you've loaded the trailer for your normal loads.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:31 PM   #5
wraenking

Well. Empty she towed better than my old roo 21ss

We will see what happens when loaded!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180519_162938.jpeg
Views:	196
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	16518
Old 05-19-2018, 07:17 PM   #6
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraenking View Post
Well. Empty she towed better than my old roo 21ss

We will see what happens when loaded!

Attachment 16518
Well at least they got the setup right for running empty...should have taken a few height measurements and then start working on the load out trying to stay close to your empty weight measurements when adding stuff to balance things out.
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:48 AM   #7
busterbrown

The problem you'll have is with payload when you're all loaded up. I say that as I ran into the same thing with my Yukon XL Denali. No problem pulling or stopping the load. But when you add in the WDH, battery(s), propane, fresh water, cargo, food, camp chairs, fishing equipment, bedding, clothing, dishes, pots/pans, bbq, and much more that you will end up taking on your trips, expect your tongue weight to climb dramatically.

From the factory, you're at 620 lbs. That includes the weight of none of the above. When you're loaded up and ready to "go camping", expect to add a few hundred lbs to your tongue weight. It happened to me. And if you traveling heavy with 700 lbs in your TV (I had much less), you'll be over the payload capacity of your Denali.

A trip to the scales is what's required in your case. I did and ended up moving up to an appropriate TV with nearly double the payload. I get better MPG's now towing too. And the kids/wife can bring anything that will fit in the bed of the truck or trailer. Everyone's happy.

Good luck and safe travels.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:44 AM   #8
wraenking

Good input buster. Our first trip is next weekend about 3 hours away to PA. Ill be keeping at around 60-65 and will see how she does. As I stated right now we cannot upgrade. My wife uses the Yukon and I traded my Tahoe for a car as I am commuting about 160 miles a day for work. Thank you all for the input. The good things as that we are putting things back in the new trailer it is not as much as I thought. Or it is just that the trailer is bigger now!