Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2017, 07:44 AM   #21
gkainz

group camping one time and hooking up the 5er with a lot of conversations going on all around. Raised the front end up to hook up, and blew the fuse to the landing gear. Grumbled and swapped in a new fuse, and promptly blew it as well. Hmmm, no more fuses close at hand (and after blowing the second one, I don't continue to blow fuses until the wiring burns up, anyway), so I grabbed the manual handle and tried to crank the front end up and man, was it hard! Finally dawned on me that the rear stabilizer jacks were still down.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:22 AM   #22
jerseyphil

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
group camping one time and hooking up the 5er with a lot of conversations going on all around. Raised the front end up to hook up, and blew the fuse to the landing gear. Grumbled and swapped in a new fuse, and promptly blew it as well. Hmmm, no more fuses close at hand (and after blowing the second one, I don't continue to blow fuses until the wiring burns up, anyway), so I grabbed the manual handle and tried to crank the front end up and man, was it hard! Finally dawned on me that the rear stabilizer jacks were still down.
Holy Moly!
That's one of those things I think would be easy to forget.
Now that I've read that you did it, I WILL BE EXTRA CAREFULL to remember putting them back up.
jerseyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:40 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
Ha! Brings back old memories! Similar situation for me and DW. I was talking away getting ready to go going through the "get ready to leave" motions. Got the truck positioned and dropped the nose on the hitch. It moved very slowly but I just kept dropping it.....until I heard what was obviously some sort of metal part under the trailer really under stress. Stopped and went to look around. Like you I had forgotten to pull up the stabilizers. One of the legs had been bent backwards.

The funny ending to this story is that I took it to the shop to have it replaced. Took it in and showed the SM the bent stabilizer (I had already sent an email describing it). Went to pick it up and checked it out; still had a bent front stabilizer. Seems they forgot and replaced the REAR stabilizer (perfectly good and less than a year old) not the front. Had to wait for them to order the front one and got it replaced as well. I now try to make about 4 rounds of the trailer checking things before I drop it on the hitch (memory ain't what it used to be).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:52 PM   #24
NealBlue

The only thing I have messed up was forgetting to turn the shut off valves to the water heater back on to normal. It doesn't take long to burn out an element.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:39 PM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

This summer, while visiting family in the Detroit area, we stayed at a county park campground. They recently installed a new section with full hookups. Quite nice, new pedestals with sewer in the bottom, water just above that, electricity (30 and 50 amp) close to the top with a "site light" on top, sort of like a "lighthouse" design.

Anyway, right next to us was a "high dollar motorhome", autolevelling, auto-reel water and auto-reel 50 amp cord and a fancy storage drawer for the sewer hose. Anyway, Sunday afternoon, just before checkout time, they started up the motorhome, pulled up the jacks and drove out to the parking lot across the road to hitch up their TOAD. Only they forgot to disconnect the water, sewer and electric cords. Needless to say, that "fancy lighthouse" with the number on top got dragged across the campground to the parking lot. Not much sewer escaped, but until maintenance got there to cut the underground water off, there was a steady stream of water spewing into the air. It probably wouldn't have been nearly as bad, but he'd wrapped his 50 amp power cord around the top of the lighthouse to keep it from getting dirty from laying on the ground, so rather than simply unplugging, it became the "noose from hell" that caused most of the damage.

I'm sure he was not a "happy camper" on checkout...... And, from what I could tell, unless he was conversing with someone inside the motorhome, there wasn't any "distractions to cause him not to focus".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:40 PM   #26
huletth

Wife and I were headed up into the Black Hills to a new camping spot, (wind had been howling for a few days, 60+mph) came upon a tree that had fallen across the road. I get out to move the tree off, leave wife and dog in truck with AC on (its 99' outside). Wife gets out to help, Dog locks us both out of running truck. No cell service. I go get into trailer to get extra key for truck, that I always have in my bag. Wife had put bag in backseat of truck. Ended up prying top of door with parts of the tree and using a coat hanger to get it unlocked.
Moral of story always know where your extra keys are and lower a window enough to reach into.
huletth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:38 PM   #27
theeyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
John,

Thank you for a whole 'nother thread to read about mishaps. We were all laughing here at some of those...after going ouch! that had to hurt!

Theeyres - hubby wants to know if after that you skipped the gin and went straight to scotch?
No! I forgot all about the booze and when I was finally ready for a stiff one, I had nothing.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:59 AM   #28
Dave W

Forgetting to do some of the routine things while hooking up is bad news. I find that a next door neighbor with whom we have conversed with at whatever CG we are in, often wants to babble some more as we are hooking up. If that happens, I restart my mental check list again. That is, usually. The nest to last CG this fall, even after restarting that checklist, I still wrecked a yellow chock' It's amazing how easy one of the newer high powered, especially diesels, pickups don't even notice that there is some added drag,
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:27 AM   #29
notanlines

A fella we "camp" beside in south Florida all winter arrived two years ago to find he and Momma weren't assigned the same spot as previous years. In his anger he pulled out of the old slip, roared around the camp headed to the new spot and ran the trailer over the above-ground water shut-off. With water spraying high in the air he kept going and pulled into the new spot. Once there he unhooked, jumped into the driver seat and pulled out from under the 5ver and dropped it on the bed of his truck. And no, he still didn't have it fixed last year.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:13 AM   #30
Number 4

While backing onto long 2x6 boards to level our 17' Nomad on grassy ground one of them launched into our rear-door step assembly and broke the weld. Step-less and slightly rattled, I then cross-wired the battery and blew the main fuse. Water for the rest of that boondocking weekend flowed from the exterior drain spigot into a plastic gallon jug and interior lighting was candles and flashlights. Thankfully you can't really screw up "lefty loosey" on the propane tank so we didn't have to eat cold vittles. The boards are gone in favor of stacking waffle risers and the battery hookup terminals got clearly marked!
Number 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 06:36 PM   #31
larry337

There's a few but the worst was not closing the tank valves after dumping. I let the tanks drain empty then put the caps on. All was well until it was time to dump after the next trip. You may be surprised to know how water tight those caps are. I had no clue what was about to happen when I popped off the cap, starting with the black tank first as I always do.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:34 AM   #32
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry337 View Post
There's a few but the worst was not closing the tank valves after dumping. I let the tanks drain empty then put the caps on. All was well until it was time to dump after the next trip. You may be surprised to know how water tight those caps are. I had no clue what was about to happen when I popped off the cap, starting with the black tank first as I always do.

The very reason that I have a Valterra secondary valve - no awwww s@#$
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:32 PM   #33
Rolling Along
Gone Traveling

I have a trifold cover on my truck. 1. Backing out the drive, turning to the blind side the wheels went into the ditch causing the fiberglass cap making contact with the cover and breaking it.

2. Was going to go to Tennessee the week between Christmas and New Year. Filled fresh tank 2/3 full water while the rest is still winterized. Forecast kept getting worse and Christmas morning decided to cancel but fresh tank valve was already froze so now I have my 5th wheel with 2/3 tank fresh water and temps around 0 degrees F.
Rolling Along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:58 PM   #34
Willie & Bev

About 15 years ago we had a 24' Dutchman TT and then we started touring on a Honda Gold Wing motorcycle and decided to give up the RV. My oldest some lived in Las Vegas, NV at that time and he expressed an interest in the Dutchman. We decided to give it to him and we made plans to meet somewhere In Arizona with some of his friends for a weekend of camping and fly fishing. I don't remember for sure where I was but I came out of a Flying J truck stop, turned too short and one of the rear jacks was destroyed. I camped that night and the next morning I found a junk yard and bought a scissor jack. That jack worked till I got it to Vegas and my son had it repaired.
Willie & Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:51 PM   #35
rogeru

Was backing our 34 footer into our VERY TIGHT driveway, (by myself no less). Had it lined up perfectly! Except for one thing: the truck was at a complete 45 degree angle, and unknowingly, I continued to back up and the right rear tail light pushed itself into the fiberglass cap until it CRACKED the cap.....a $500 learning experience. Duh!!!!!!!!!!
rogeru is offline   Reply With Quote