Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2017, 04:09 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Best/Lightest buffer for polishing

Was headed back to TX at the end of the month to get the trailer ready to head out to FL. Among the chores to do was getting a buffer and running over the trailer since it appears I have a very light, hazy layer of oxidation forming at the top edges of the sides. I've always used 303 on the trailer and had good luck but I think 3-4 months in the FL sun every winter with the side facing the W is getting to it. Now my problem,

I was working on our guest house here in the mountains the other day and took a tumble down the side of the mountain and landed face/chest first on our gravel road. I broke some ribs, bruised the sternum, pulled the muscles in the shoulder etc. Long story to say that my left arm/shoulder won't be working good for several weeks. I was going to buy a new DA/RO buffer to do the trailer, now, I still want to get one BUT the lightest one possible that still does a good job. I'm hoping some of you have had some experience with some of them and can give some guidance on what might be a good choice. I know I won't be able to get it done with a heavy unit. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:25 PM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Danny, sorry to hear about your tumble. Praying healing happens quickly. Can't help with the buffer other than to say find a college student or starving artist. Save the buffer for next year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:59 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks Chip. I may have to find someone to do it or try to do it after I heal up while in FL. Just wanted to get it done before since I'm not sure what their policy is on doing work on a trailer while in the park. I'm also pretty worried about turning someone loose with a buffer on the side with all the decals. It will all work out I'm sure.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:08 PM   #4
Tbos

Best/Lightest buffer for polishing

So sorry to hear about your tumble. Sure hope you heal quickly. Maybe you can contact a FL shop teacher in a high school to offer a job and training to one of their students.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:31 PM   #5
bsmith0404

The lightest ones I'm aware of that still do a decent job are the porter cable, griots, megs. I don't know the weight or specs on each, but check out autogeek.com. They should all be available through them and you can get the specs there. I still don't know that you would be able to do it one handed.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:24 AM   #6
jkohler70

An air polisher would be the lightest. I bought one from Harbor Freight that works great. I found removing oxidation required more than my electric buffer could muster.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:41 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Danny,

We're getting to "fragile" ("OLD" is just a frame of mind) to do some things we used to take for granted. A couple of days ago I was on the top of an 8' step ladder using a 10' extension pole chain saw to cut a branch that sits over where I park the fifth wheel during the summer. As the branch started to fall, I thought: "Hmmm, this could turn bad if that branch rolls toward the ladder".... Fortunately, it didn't and as I climbed down, I remembered how I used to just slide off the side of the trailer rather than climb down. I don't know if my knees and ankles would survive what I used to do almost every day.... Like you, my mind still feels 20 even if my body won't keep up.....

Take it easy, let your injuries catch up to the rest of you and enjoy Florida when you get there....

As for a "lightweight, cheap random orbit buffer" I bought a $20 one from WalMart. It's a "one handed 5" buffer" that does a pretty good job. Certainly not a "pro model" but it is easy to handle, manages to cut through most of the stuff I ask it to do and is light enough that I can "lean over and stretch to reach that far spot" without feeling that I'm going to drop the buffer. I use it for 3 or 4 hours without feeling that it gets too heavy to manage.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:12 AM   #8
Desert185

The lightest buffer I've used is no buffer at all.

I applied Top Gun in 2014 when I bought my trailer and it still is not oxidized and the decals are fine. The stuff is amazing. Use it on all the vehicles. Similar to, but better than Rejex.

Buy it at www.aircraftspruce.com

Top Gun Ultra Finish: Spruce P/N 09-00192
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:14 AM   #9
Dave W

Ouch - that hurts just reading about it

My problem with some pain as a result is close in depth perception with some eye problems I have. I 'hung' a toe getting on a boardwalk last week in Old Orchard Beach,Maine. Scuffed my knees and hands.

I have a 7" Harbor Freight RO polisher and a black waffle TCP Global pad along with some 8" Meguire's pro foam pads that I use. With the usual 20% HF coupon and a sale price, IIRC, the end price was about $16-18 dollars. As far as weight, I easily can hold it with one hand at arm's length while standing on the top rung of a tippy expandable ladder while doing the 5er. I lusted for the Porter Cable version but couldn't justify the 120 bucks. I also have the older/heavier version of the SP18 Hitachi if I need to get serious but 11 pounds with hook and loop pad and 8" buff at arms length ....
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:35 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks all. Yep, it's really easy to get in a bind if you don't keep your age in mind. Funny, when the rock bar slipped and sent me on the way down the side of the mountain my wife said I looked "great"; caught my balance and kept my stride (full bore - couldn't slow down) down the side of the hill (about 75 degree angle). Problem was I was coming down at a 75 degree slant as hard as I could go and the road came up in front of me.....I just continued full bore straight into the ground It did highlight a couple of things for me; the ER was afraid I had a concussion but I didn't so it confirmed that I am still as thick skulled as ever and it has been years since I broke any ribs....I forgot how painful they are. I've got breaks in multiple places so when I move it sounds/feels like a stack of clacking plastic vertebrae with all the pops, cracks, snaps etc. Think I'll start taking a few thousand mgs of calcium to see if that will expedite the bone repair.....

Before this happened I had just about decided on a Porter Cable buffer. Now, I'm afraid it will be pretty heavy if it's like any of my other PC tools and I'm not sure how far I can push the left side. I have a 6" RO buffer that I may use as John suggested. It is pretty light and maybe I can get it done with it. After that I may try the Top Gun product on the trailer - I need to look into it. Where I looked there was only one review so we'll see. I was hoping there may be some "easy" way out but as we all know, there really isn't any easy way to do maintenance on an RV. Thanks again for the thoughts and suggestions.

Tags
light