Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2017, 02:35 PM   #1
Afrnd2all

Length versus weight

Just left an RV show. Here in Arizona. As I was describing my TV to a sales Rep he stated that you shouldn't tow anything over 28' to 30' with our F150. It's a '14 V8 supercrew with a tow rating of 8100lbs. Trailer has a GVW of 7300lbs. When does trailer length start to come into play? Thanks in advance
Afrnd2all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 02:41 PM   #2
Javi

Think of it as a 10 ft by 30 ft sail, then think of the weight of your pickup versus the weight of the trailer. Which one you think's going to win in a 20 mile-an-hour wind.

Javi
Old 09-09-2017, 02:42 PM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Weight is one consideration. Length = sail size. Longer the the length, larger square foot of the "sail", your trailer side. When semis pass or there are crosswinds, the sail will catch and try to move the tow vehicle. This is also known as the tail waggin' the dog. A light TV will be moved around more than a heavy one. There are no rules about it, but common sense and experience scream volumes about it. I hope this helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 03:34 PM   #4
slow

Length versus weight

Rule of thumb I read somewhere was 20' for 120" of wheel base plus an additional 1' for every 4" of additional wheel base.

This would suggest that a 28' would be about the limit with a SC F150 at about a 145" wheelbase if I remember correctly.

As for loaded TT weight, I think back to grade 10 physics / momentum and like having the loaded TT no heavier than the loaded TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:03 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

For me, when the length of the trailer comes into play with a 1/2 ton is when I get white knuckle moments. 24-25' worked great. 28' OK. 37' HECK NO!!

My personal experience has, to me, pretty much verified what has been said above. About 28', maybe 30 (I've not had that length) works out OK....not great, OK. The 37 footer towed pretty good most of the time but could get a mind of its own in certain situations (whirlwind etc.)....and that's a lot sitting behind you to try to tame down. You just have to have enough 'hoss up front to hold the wagon.

Also, there a many, many weight factors beyond gvw and tow ratings so look into those.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:38 PM   #6
Afrnd2all

Thanks for the feedback. Will help in making the right decision. Might start to think of upgrading the TV thanks again
Afrnd2all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:00 PM   #7
Gegrad

Lots of factors to consider, but my 33'er tows much better behind my truck than my old 28'er did. Likely several reasons, but while I would not want to go to a 37'er, a 33'er wouldn't concern me.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:05 PM   #8
theeyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrnd2all View Post
Just left an RV show. Here in Arizona. As I was describing my TV to a sales Rep he stated that you shouldn't tow anything over 28' to 30' with our F150. It's a '14 V8 supercrew with a tow rating of 8100lbs. Trailer has a GVW of 7300lbs. When does trailer length start to come into play? Thanks in advance
Sounds like an honest sales rep who is trying to do the right thing. I'd deal with him.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:42 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

The "old school rule of thumb" as stated earlier is 120" WB is good for 20' and every added 4 inches of WB is good for an added foot of trailer.

I say "OLD SCHOOL" because as technology has improved, so has "towability". In the "old days" we had to be attentive, drive with white knuckles, rely on a "chain tensioned weight distribution hitch" and the longer the wheelbase, the more stable the trailer towed. Then somebody put a "brake shoe on a steel plate, called it a sway control bar" and made a mint.... Then somebody engineered the Hensley hitch, then somebody invented an electronic sway control device that mounted in the back of a trailer and applied trailer brakes when the accelerometer sensed side movement, then the auto manufacturers introduced anti roll, anti skid and sway control and later integrated it with the trailer brake controller.

So, some of what was "past wisdom" is no longer "hard and fast logic"... But, as we (certainly none of us) busy ourselves with monitoring the GPS, watching the wireless rear view camera, keep check on the TPMS and try to adjust the brake control so the dash light won't bother us.... Well, those people (again, certainly none of us) need all the "anti-sway help" they can get to keep their rig between the lines...... I see as many "RV operators" on their cell phone as I see car drivers on theirs, so with all the "distractions drivers encounter, there's probably still some truth to the old rules, even with all the "futuristic advances" that help drivers tow more safely, given the distractions encountered that we never had "back when"...

Back in the day, roads were much less crowded and there were fewer "other people to hit" if the trailer swayed accidentally. These days, we all need as much help as we can get, so maybe ignoring the "old school rule" isn't a smart thing to do. I'd say that RV salesman "steered you right" or maybe "swayed you appropriately with an old school rule"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote