Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2017, 09:22 PM   #1
IamJerryP

Reese GooseBox Cougar Xlite 28RKS??

Just bought a new 2017 Cougar Xlite RKS.
Because my Tow Vehicle is a TitanXD, 6.5' bed, Cummins, with a factory GooseNeck hitch, the salesman recommended just putting the Reese GooseBox in, which I like the idea of. He said it would work for a 90 degree turn, and we got it in writing that it would work.
Still stressing that it might not work, and have no plan B yet.

I had just assumed I would use the Andersen Ultimate Hitch, which I liked, as I use my bed for carrying stuff, and do not want a heavy fifth wheel hitch back there that I can't remove by myself
The Gooseneck seems even better.
Has anyone used a Reese Goosebox, with a newer Xlite, and a 6.5 foot bed?
How did that work out?
Any Clearance issues?
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:42 AM   #2
xrated

Jerry, I can't help you on the hitch question, but one of the things I would look into is the available payload capacity of your Titan truck. Your 5ver has a GVWR of 10,000 lbs and figuring a 20% pin weight, that puts you at 2000 lbs. Every bit of that weight counts against your available payload of the truck. The weight of the 5ver hitch, whatever that is, also counts against your truck available payload. You could potentially be at 2150-2200 lbs which may be more than your truck is rated for. And then there's additional passenger(s), cargo, etc. that has to be considered. It would be worth checking out for sure.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:15 AM   #3
Desert185

Also figure the added weight of the Goosebox vs the 35# of the Andersen.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:24 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Payload is a significant consideration with the Titan diesel. The maximum payload for the base S model is 2080. The SV model is 1930 and the SL model is 1690. The Platinum Reserve is 1670. The payload goes down even more with every optional "package" that's added to the truck. While the Titan is a "beefier" model than a typical half ton truck, the additional weight of the diesel engine puts payload in the "normal half ton range" and any capacity available with the gas engine is lost to the heavier diesel optional engine.

I have a 27RKS with a base weight of 7195, 30'5" long and a empty pin weight of 1355. Typically my "camping pin weight is 1700-1900 pounds.

The 28RKS is almost 1000 pounds heavier with a base weight of 8080, is 32'11" long with an empty pin weight of 1515. I'd suspect a "camping pin weight of 1800-2100 pounds.

Given the published payloads of the diesel equipped Titan and the expected pin weights of the 28RKS, I'd think the truck will be overloaded with a trailer "ready to camp" before any passengers or cargo are added to the truck.

Will it "pull the trailer" ? Yes, certainly there's horsepower and torque to provide forward momentum. Where the Titan lacks capacity is the payload, the ability to safely (within Nissan's ratings) add the weight of the trailer pin to the bed of the truck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:15 AM   #5
IamJerryP

Not be be cantankerous, and I certainly appreciate that the weight police are on their job, and all that.
I am well aquatinted will the published specs on this truck, and the actual safe capabilities.
Payload is not what my question is about..

My question and stress inducing concern is about the use of of the Reese Goose-box and if it is a good choice to pull 10,000 gross 5th wheel, and will it be able to do a 90 degree with safe clearance???????????
Does anybody have any experience or insight into that with the newer Cougar XLites????
Old 09-05-2017, 07:52 AM   #6
outthere2

Jerry:
I have a Cougar 28SGS and Pull with a Gas Tundra. 6.5' Regular box.
I'm using a Curt 16KW Slide unit to pull. The RV Dealer said I have to have a slide to turn the rig. He was wrong.
I can Jack the rig in the fully forward position and have lots of clearance.
Your results may vary.

My suggestion is to try it and see what you get.
Make sure you have a spotter and don't squish that cab.

I looked at the Nissan, great truck!
Toyota has been paying my bills for 28 years, I had to buy one.

Regards,

Dan
Old 09-05-2017, 08:39 AM   #7
IamJerryP

Thanks for the info. I am worried about the clearance issues.

SGS was our 1st choice until we took some time in the RKS, and discovered it worked just a little better for us.
Of course that only made the SGS our 2nd choice by .0001%
��
If Toyota paid my bills, I would drive a Toyota too.
You can't really go wrong with a Toyota truck.
Now Toyota and Nissan have serious entries into the truck market.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:26 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

The goosebox puts the pivot point at the same place as the king pin. Just measure the kingpin to corner on the trailer.
Since you have a goose ball in the bed, just measure from it using the measurement you got.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:52 PM   #9
IamJerryP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
The goosebox puts the pivot point at the same place as the king pin. Just measure the kingpin to corner on the trailer.
Since you have a goose ball in the bed, just measure from it using the measurement you got.
Thanks, I made measurements on Friday, and they did not seem like they would work, which added to my concern
Got with the dealer this afternoon, and found out they were planning to use an adapter, by convert a Goose, and charge about the same as a Reese GooseBox.
Lippert will not warranty such things, so that is not happening.
Dealers, you gotta watch them every minute
I ordered an Andersen Ultimate, which gives me roughly 5, or 9 inches offset if needed.
I spoke with Andersen, and he even said Lippert would not warranty with the Andersen Ranch Hand adapter setup, which is actually a pretty nice setup. Guy at Andersen said Lippert is cracking down on the gooseneck conversions.
I would have preferred the Ranch Hand over the Ultimate, but like he said, the offset is like a 2 foot long pry bar.
If the Ultimate does not work out, I can send it back, but judging by the reviews, it will be fine.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:42 PM   #10
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJerryP View Post
Thanks, I made measurements on Friday, and they did not seem like they would work, which added to my concern
Got with the dealer this afternoon, and found out they were planning to use an adapter, by convert a Goose, and charge about the same as a Reese GooseBox.
Lippert will not warranty such things, so that is not happening.
Dealers, you gotta watch them every minute
I ordered an Andersen Ultimate, which gives me roughly 5, or 9 inches offset if needed.
I spoke with Andersen, and he even said Lippert would not warranty with the Andersen Ranch Hand adapter setup, which is actually a pretty nice setup. Guy at Andersen said Lippert is cracking down on the gooseneck conversions.
I would have preferred the Ranch Hand over the Ultimate, but like he said, the offset is like a 2 foot long pry bar.
If the Ultimate does not work out, I can send it back, but judging by the reviews, it will be fine.
A buddy runs an Andersen in his shortbed F350 and doesn't have an issue. Your box may be shorter, but a 90 degree turn isn't desirable anyway. There's good height adjustment on the Andersen.

If it fits dimensionally, you're really going to like the hitch.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:30 PM   #11
IamJerryP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
A buddy runs an Andersen in his shortbed F350 and doesn't have an issue. Your box may be shorter, but a 90 degree turn isn't desirable anyway. There's good height adjustment on the Andersen.

If it fits dimensionally, you're really going to like the hitch.
Thanks,

I guess doing a 90 is not important, I just want a lot of clearance. I am about as attentive as a puppy chasing a butterfly, and do not want to get into a bind due to clearance problems
Old 09-05-2017, 04:17 PM   #12
MattHelm21

Just remember to leave a margin for error. Adequate clearance on a nice level parking lot is not necessarily going remain that way when trying to back and turn up or down an incline since that will will further reduce cleareances between cab and trailer and/or bedrail and trailer.

Also watch the pin placement. You really don't ever want the pin to be anywhere behind the axle particularly if you are at or near capacity as this will translate into poor handling characteristics and lifting of the front end.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:31 PM   #13
IamJerryP

Picked up the Cougar 24RKS today.
I got the Andersen Ultimate hitch in, and installed it in about 10 minutes, including a 5 minute break
So easy to install
Hooked it up to the Titan, rechecked the torque on the bolts, and pulled it out checked the clearance all around, and away we went.

90 mile trip home, no complaints. Plenty of power, and a decent ride, a little bit of chucking, over larger bumps in the road, but no big deal. took the big hills easily.
Averaged 13.4 per gallon, including a stop at a big church parking lot for parking practice...

In spite of naysayers, the Titan XD and Cummins combination performed flawlessly. I put the cruise on 63mph, and enjoyed the ride.
I did not even notice when the big trucks, and bus passed me. Not a bit of sway.
The things I was most worried about, were a waste of time to worry about.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0465.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	285.7 KB
ID:	14070

Name:	IMG_0470.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	14071

Name:	IMG_0478.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	14072

Name:	IMG_0484.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	14073
Old 09-10-2017, 05:25 AM   #14
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Glad it worked for you. Enjoy your new rig.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:03 PM   #15
MattHelm21

Looks like the setup worked out well. Enjoy it! Here's our guy doing some camping. Looks like yours has a few pounds on ours.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3423.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	14092  
Old 09-16-2017, 10:52 AM   #16
craftguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJerryP View Post
Just bought a new 2017 Cougar Xlite RKS.
Because my Tow Vehicle is a TitanXD, 6.5' bed, Cummins, with a factory GooseNeck hitch, the salesman recommended just putting the Reese GooseBox in, which I like the idea of. He said it would work for a 90 degree turn, and we got it in writing that it would work.
Still stressing that it might not work, and have no plan B yet.

I had just assumed I would use the Andersen Ultimate Hitch, which I liked, as I use my bed for carrying stuff, and do not want a heavy fifth wheel hitch back there that I can't remove by myself
The Gooseneck seems even better.
Has anyone used a Reese Goosebox, with a newer Xlite, and a 6.5 foot bed?
How did that work out?
Any Clearance issues?

Jerry, we bought the Nissan Titan 2016 Cummins Diesel, because we had a Chevy Silverado, and were pulling a SGS 28 fifth wheel. The towing capacity was ok on the Chevy, it just wasn't as great as we wanted. Unknown to us, when we bought it, the fifth wheel hitch would not fit. At the time no one made one, had adapters for, etc. It was early in the model year. Our only option, and still be within the "warranty of Lippert" for the frame, was to use the Reese Goosebox. I will tell you it's heavy. Taking the fifth wheel off the wing was not that hard at all, but needed a couple hefty friends help us get and hold the goose box in place, while I got the bolts in. Once that task was done it has been a breeze. I did add the chain set to it and rarely remove the goose ball and anchors from the bed. The turning on this scared me the first time or two, but have had no issues. The only negative thing I have on the goose box is the air bag system seems to not hold air for very long, but hold enough to get us where we want to go for the day to go camping. On longer trips I would have to check it and fill with my portable air comp. We talked about exchanging the valve on it but just have not. Hope this helps. Also it pulls like a dream, even on pretty steep hills.
Jeff
craftguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar