Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2017, 04:45 AM   #41
chuckster57
Site Team

I would think the number to look at when comparison shopping is the GVWR. Which one can carry the most.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:47 AM   #42
jimthemosaicguy

I was amused by their claim of towable with a 3/4 ton. I didn't have a problem accessing their link a few days ago. However, the link is no longer available......I had a good chuckle about their claim. They claimed it could be towed with a 3/4 ton. But they didn't say whether you could control it or more importantly stop it! I'd be curious to know whether the dealer actually pulled it with a 3/4 ton farther than across their parking lot. Also, what's the story about that nasty smash on the corner. Just being bitchy and not expecting a response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jimthemosaicguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:51 AM   #43
jimthemosaicguy

Oh I forgot....are there many campgrounds that have the space to park it?

jimthemosaicguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:28 AM   #44
MattE303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback 325BH View Post
No need for a sticker. Just weigh your truck and subtract that from your GVWR. That is what payload is.

The sticker becomes irrelevant the second you drive your truck home; it is merely an "idea" of what your payload is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I would think the number to look at when comparison shopping is the GVWR. Which one can carry the most.
You start with GVWR, but trim level can make a big difference on otherwise comparably configured (same GVWR) trucks. For example a F350 LB CC Diesel Lariat will weight a lot more than a F350 LB CC Diesel XL. My understanding is that the yellow payload sticker is specific to each individual truck (as it left the factory), so it should reflect that weight difference. Am I wrong about that?

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:37 AM   #45
ScotnBev

The GVWR is the max weight of a vehicle, and typically it's the same across the vehicle classrs; 2017; F250 - 10K, F350 SRW 11,400, F350 DRW 14K (similar for the other brands).

The cargo capacity is specific per vehicle, cargo = GVWR - actual vehicle weight. EVERYTHING added to the vechile is cargo, fuel, passengers, pets, snacks, hitch, pin weight, etc. The GVWR is a legal limit. Cargo capacity tells you what that specific vechile can carry - let's know how much less you can carry with the heated butt warmers.

There is nothing you can do to legally change the GVWR. Remove the butt warmers and you can an additional 3 pounds. [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
TrailerSafe BD3 hitch

ScotnBev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:08 PM   #46
xcntrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattE303 View Post
You start with GVWR, but trim level can make a big difference on otherwise comparably configured (same GVWR) trucks. For example a F350 LB CC Diesel Lariat will weight a lot more than a F350 LB CC Diesel XL. My understanding is that the yellow payload sticker is specific to each individual truck (as it left the factory), so it should reflect that weight difference. Am I wrong about that?
No, this is right.

When I bought my 1-ton SRW, I focused on GVWR coming in at 11.5k. Then I realized the trim level I selected (2nd from the top) ate away significantly at the payload. A base trim rig in my same model has like 50% more payload before meeting GVWR because the rig weighs less without the burden of all bells and whistles from the upgraded trim.

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:21 PM   #47
MattE303

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcntrk View Post
No, this is right.

When I bought my 1-ton SRW, I focused on GVWR coming in at 11.5k. Then I realized the trim level I selected (2nd from the top) ate away significantly at the payload. A base trim rig in my same model has like 50% more payload before meeting GVWR because the rig weighs less without the burden of all bells and whistles from the upgraded trim.
Thanks for the clarification. What is the payload on your truck per the sticker? Are you within GVWR given the pin weight of your Fuzion? Asking because I'll be looking at very similar truck and the pin weight on my Carbon is within a couple hundred pounds of your Fuzion.

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow