Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2017, 01:48 PM   #81
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Just look at a simple 6' extension cord that cost 39 cents when I was a kid. First they added a "silver UL label, then the mandated "twist to plug" covers on the three plug-in and a "flange" so you don't slip and touch the connector when plugging it in. Next came not one, two or three, but SIX warning/caution labels to warn against everything from not using it over its rating to not letting your toddler chew on the cord.

Pretty much, that 39 cent cord now costs $4.79 and you have to spend your first half hour of ownership removing the labels so you can find the plug to use the darn thing......

And, you don't want me to get started on the warnings that come with something as simple as a toaster or even the ice maker that many of us like to have for our camper. I bought mine at Sam's Club and the 108 page owner's manual has one page of "how to operate" the thing and the rest is warnings, California initiatives, potential carcinogens, and who to contact if there's a safety risk identified during use. All of that, not in one language, but in 7 languages from English to Japanese (or some other "squiggley" alphabet).

What happened to the one page, "fill with water, plug it in and turn it on, wait 10 minutes and open the door to get your ice".... That's all it really needs to say, all the rest is "discarded as gubmint junk" anyway....

and yes, it also had those same 6 warning labels on the power cord......
The new ones will be labeling each cube to warn of a possible choke hazard.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:22 PM   #82
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
The new ones will be labeling each cube to warn of a possible choke hazard.
Come to think of it, maybe I should dig through the box in the camper to find the owner's manual, fill out the paperwork to identify the ice cubes as a "choke hazard" and submit it??? No, with my luck they'll send somebody to confiscate my ice maker and charge me for a retrofit so it only makes cubes that are too large to swallow.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:21 PM   #83
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
The same thing is happening with automobiles, among other things.

You don't have to pay attention anymore, the car does it for you

Personally, I am all for removing every safety label and letting Darwinism take its course.

We are coddling the stupid and they are out numbering us at a very high rate.

/soapbox

-Brian

I too believe Darwin should be much busier. Then wonder in some instances who is less brilliant, those that stand in the middle of a highway or those that stop because they are there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:08 PM   #84
chuckster57
Site Team

The problem with "Darwinism" when it comes to driving is the innocent person the idiot takes out in the process. I'm not in line to volunteer for that.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:35 PM   #85
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
The problem with "Darwinism" when it comes to driving is the innocent person the idiot takes out in the process. I'm not in line to volunteer for that.
I am thinking more of the people that will take their new extension cord, curling iron, toaster, coffee maker, etc into the bath tub with them. Not sure what the answer is for all the idiots on the road... maybe a driving test, with a shock collar?

There was that girl, that shot her boyfriend, through a book, with a .50 desert eagle... unfortunately, she is already pregnant with their second child, maybe CPS will take them both away.

-Brian
Old 08-11-2017, 10:43 AM   #86
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Thing to remember too is, for any inspection/stop that would weigh, they don't weigh "payload"... they would just weigh the vehicle and compare that to GVWR. Possibly weigh axles and compare to GAWR.

The concept of "payload" is simply for us to have an idea how much room we have until reaching GVWR.

Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:24 PM   #87
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback 325BH View Post
Thing to remember too is, for any inspection/stop that would weigh, they don't weigh "payload"... they would just weigh the vehicle and compare that to GVWR. Possibly weigh axles and compare to GAWR.

The concept of "payload" is simply for us to have an idea how much room we have until reaching GVWR.

My understanding is CHP weighs rear axle and impounds based on gawr. Common occurrence at some popular RV places like Pismo Beach.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote