Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2017, 07:18 AM   #41
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The way I see it (Could be wrong) it's all about "ATTITUDE" and "PAYING THE PRICE OF ADMISSION".....

Let me explain: It seems to me that as our society becomes more affluent, people have more "disposable income" to spend on the things they want. Some people want "things" some people want "privilege".

Not too many years ago, Texas (if I remember correctly) started a program of building "high speed roads" with no speed limit. You pay a toll to use that road and "go as fast as you want" or you "live with the slow road" and if you speed and get caught, you pay a fine. The fine is "money only, no points" so essentially it boiled down to "pay to go as fast as you want or pay if you get caught without any other penalty".... What that did is create a "mindset" of "I can ignore the law, pay if they catch me and there's no consequence"......

Now we have people who believe that speeding is OK, you just have to pay if you get caught, and you get to speed again tomorrow and, well, if they catch me, I'll be unlucky and have to pay again.... <sigh>

So, from that "mindset" we've "taught a generation" of drivers not to be responsible for their actions (beyond their wallet). It's the "price of admission for the privilege of ignoring the law"..... And, unfortunately, they simply don't see any impact on anyone other than themselves. There's no risk to the others on the road, no risk to anybody but them and when they "pay the fine" they're no longer "in trouble".... That mindset is "guilty only if I can't pay the fine"...

Simple, instant gratification and it only cost me $110. Hell, I can afford it....

Now, apply that to RV weights, seat belts, texting, watching movies on the navigation screen (with that unlock brick) or most anything that "people do for their instant gratification"......

Once we make the punishment "harsh enough to affect more than a couple hours of pay" things will change, or at least offenders will have some "skin in the game" when it comes to their choices... Right now, it's just "paying the ticket and doing it again as soon as the cop is out of sight".....
Speed limit on those roads is 75 to 85 depending on which road... But you are correct that Texas has never had a points system (at least not in the 54 years I've had a license). A point system would never fly politically, but I wouldn't mind seeing it...

When we moved to Colorado in the early 70's we lived up in Little Deer Creek Canyon at the Hog Back... and I worked down in Arvada... people I worked with thought it was unreal that I lived that far from work... I told them that back home we often drove a hundred miles for a cup of coffee.... They always thought I was joking... Nope..
Old 08-06-2017, 07:48 AM   #42
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Some thoughts on towing

ANY RV/towing vehicle cited for exceeding the speed limit more than 5 mph should have the vehicle/RV impounded for 3 days and a $500 fine. All RV/tow vehicle combinations should be checked by state troopers....just as they do the commercial vehicles. If you are out of compliance you are stopped and impounded - if you exceed ANY legal limitation on your truck/trailer combo minimum fine $1000, exceed limitations by 10%, fine $5000, loss of license, . As far as driving while occupied by your phone or ? for texting etc.; first offense for texting and driving...$500, 3 days in jail and loss of device. 2nd offense; $1000 fine, 10 days in jail, loss of device. 3rd offence would be $5000, 1 year in prison, loss of device and loss of vehicle.

Those are my thoughts on how I feel about people that would put you, and others lives, in peril for really stupid things. JMHO Let the fun begin....
WOW!!!! If you really feel that way, why not the same rules for all drivers??? If I'm 100 lbs. over payload my rig is impounded???? The rules and penalties are already there. We don't need more specific laws, just enforce the ones we have whether a RV or a VW. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:10 AM   #43
Desert185

I believe in accountability, but not to the degree that the regulations and penalties should be onerous compared to the level of the violation. I lived with special emphasis throughout my career to resolve safety issues through focused training and awareness education.

I think focused resources would be better served in other areas with more frequently demonstrated issues rather than RV's. The RVIA and the industry in general, for example, should embark on a more active education program to point out the issues one may encounter when towing heavy trailers. This would include manufacturers, sales, clubs, seminars, public service announcements, etc. A lot of folks just aren't aware of the realities and most industry sources (like sales dealers) continue to contribute to the misleading or lack of information related to towing heavy trailers.

Slapping a kid for holding a knife and fork the wrong way is the wrong approach. The punishment needs to fit the crime...after an attempt at education and awareness takes place. The brown shirt and armband approach is currently overkill for the general RV crowd.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:31 AM   #44
JRTJH
Site Team

Desert185,

The only "problem" with your approach is the "motivational factor" of where you're suggesting the behavioral change" should begin. If you consider that the RVIA and industry are motivated by profit (RVIA is an industry supported organization not a consumer organization) and the dealership, which you correctly point out is a part of the problem (because they are also motivated by profits). Essentially, your solution points to those who would "suffer loss" if they do what you suggest. The chances of that kind of "blood letting" likely won't happen.

So, if it's to be effective, there has to be a "gain" for whomever starts the change. That wouldn't be (in my opinion) RVIA, the industry or the dealerships. All of them benefit from selling "overweight rigs" to "unsuspecting victims".....

It's going to be the public that has to take the initiative of knowing what they're buying or the government (none of us want increased governmental control) to intervene. General public "restraint" when buying "luxury items" isn't likely to happen, so unless "Uncle Sam" steps in, either with increased enforcement of existing laws or by regulating the sales to "compliance with weight restrictions", I don't think we'll see much change. People are going to push the envelope and if there's no consequence for their "wrongdoing" consumers aren't going to stop buying 35' trailers to tow behind their Grand Cherokee.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:07 AM   #45
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
WOW!!!! If you really feel that way, why not the same rules for all drivers??? If I'm 100 lbs. over payload my rig is impounded???? The rules and penalties are already there. We don't need more specific laws, just enforce the ones we have whether a RV or a VW. JM2¢, Hank

There are very few "specific" laws directed at RV's only that I'm aware of, and there should be. Having just made an almost 1000 mile round trip in the last 3 days (no RV) I can assure you that there are many, many, many folks on the highway towing things they shouldn't, towing with things they shouldn't or towing in a manner they shouldn't. They are obvious. Folks won't change unless there is some sort of repercussion for wrongdoing. Currently there is none to speak of for RV owners and the consequences of that are reflected in some of the attitudes we see on the forum.

My examples of penalties seem stringent, but, in TX with a speed limit of 75, you would be towing a rig at 80 mph + before they held the rig for 3 days and fined you. Pulling a trailer at 80+ mph? Can you imagine the devastation that could cause if the driver lost control? I was passed by a 5th wheel behind a 3/4 ton Ford doing well over that on this trip; crazy. I feel the same way about semi drivers. When you have that much behind you, YOU, the driver, should be held to a higher standard simply because a mistake on your part could be catastrophic for someone else...more so than just a Toyota Corolla driving down the highway.

Impounding may be a little harsh in some instances; maybe just holding the trailer/TV until the problem is rectified with a substantial fine. SOMETHING of consequence to get the attention of the offender and make them say; "I don't want to do that again - it's not worth it". Right now we have lots of folks that don't have any idea of the responsibilities involved when they hook that 35' trailer on the back of their vehicle. It's just "I've waited so long for this vacation I can't wait to hit the road and get to the lake". There's nothing wrong with that, in fact it's great to be able to do it, but a person towing an RV HAS to always keep in mind that there's more to it than just jumping in and doing what they want - to heck with the rules - they are carrying a lot of responsibility behind them.

I tow across the country so I certainly don't want a bunch of onerous new laws that could ensnare me by accident. In a perfect world folks could just attend an educational seminar held by ???, learn all the right things to do then go out and do them. Ain't gonna happen - the seminars nor folks just going out and doing the right thing.....because. We all know that. Then we're back to trying to "force" compliance by laws and penalties.

I suppose my original post was driven more by my agitation at folks that text and drive (seemingly everyone I see on the road any more) and isn't really something we can solve here, but......yesterday, driving back to our mountain home here, we were in the hills. I could see a car coming in the distance and I kept my eye on it as we went up and down the hills. I knew it was close so I just kept my eyes on the crests of the hills. I saw the top of a vehicle coming up the rise and it continued straight at me...in my lane! I pulled clear off the edge of the road and waited to see if I had to drive off the hill. There she came at about 65 mph, oblivious, staring at her smartphone texting. She passed so close to me, in my lane, that I could see her perfectly. She saw me just as she went by and she had a look of pure terror - which she should have then jerked her car so hard I was afraid she was going to roll it - she didn't. On the other hand, my wife was shook up and I was POd. Anyway, when you are behind the wheel it is a full time job and you have lots of responsibility. You need to be aware of it and act accordingly. If we can't police ourselves then our only recourse is to have ourselves policed. Not the ideal situation but.....JMO
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:10 AM   #46
Desert185

Quote:
Desert185,

The only "problem" with your approach is the "motivational factor" of where you're suggesting the behavioral change" should begin. If you consider that the RVIA and industry are motivated by profit (RVIA is an industry supported organization not a consumer organization) and the dealership, which you correctly point out is a part of the problem (because they are also motivated by profits). Essentially, your solution points to those who would "suffer loss" if they do what you suggest. The chances of that kind of "blood letting" likely won't happen.

So, if it's to be effective, there has to be a "gain" for whomever starts the change. That wouldn't be (in my opinion) RVIA, the industry or the dealerships. All of them benefit from selling "overweight rigs" to "unsuspecting victims".....

It's going to be the public that has to take the initiative of knowing what they're buying or the government (none of us want increased governmental control) to intervene. General public "restraint" when buying "luxury items" isn't likely to happen, so unless "Uncle Sam" steps in, either with increased enforcement of existing laws or by regulating the sales to "compliance with weight restrictions", I don't think we'll see much change. People are going to push the envelope and if there's no consequence for their "wrongdoing" consumers aren't going to stop buying 35' trailers to tow behind their Grand Cherokee.....
If 35' trailers are being sold to unsuspecting Grand Cherokee owners, then those dealers are enabling the problems and should be held accountable to a degree if a disclaimer signed by the buyer is not provided. If the buyer insists, then its his baby and time for existing laws and statutes to be enforced.

You and others seem to be pushing enforcement, which is a reasonable solution if done reasonably. Enforcement and educated compliance go hand in hand for success. The RV industry, whether govt instigated or not, posts stickers galore reminding the buying public of limitations when operating the product (go to an ATV dealer and check them out). Both the industry and the end users need to take responsibility for the operation of the vehicle, and I think more folks would comply if they knew the facts and consequences. We see that on this forum after a dose of reality from the WP contingent.

Once again, limits may be pushed and no one has a death wish, but heavy-handed, onerous punishment without frontend education and awareness is not the answer. There has to be a balance in the process without draconian consequences.

Is everyone going to comply? No. Criminals will always have guns, regardless of the laws that primarily affect law abiding citizens. Let's just enforce the laws already on the books and try to further educate those who will generally comply.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:06 PM   #47
JRTJH
Site Team

If we rely on the manufacturers to "educate the public" we'll get products with names like "Cougar Half Ton" and "Jayco Eagle Half Ton" which come with a disclaimer in very small print on the bottom of the back page of the brochure that says, "Towable with a properly equipped half ton truck"... What it doesn't say is that 97% of all manufactured half ton trucks are NOT properly equipped... Oh wait, that's what's happening right now....

So, they are marketing to an uneducated public and creating the situation that we're talking about. I wouldn't look to them for much support at reducing the problem at the expense of their profits.

As for all the "government stickers" that are already being put on things. We've had several examples on the forum in the past week where people damaged their trailers by "ignoring the caution" that was clearly placed directly over the connection they were using. I'd wager that half the members of this forum don't know what information is on the two weight stickers on their trailer, and probably 25% of them didn't realize there are TWO stickers (until they just read it in this response) so "educating the public with stickers" is about as effective as asking a "real man" to read the assembly instructions before trying to build his kid's new bicycle...

I agree, "draconian measures" shouldn't be the first step, educating the public should be, followed by enforcement, followed by stricter enforcement for those who refuse to comply...

The way I see it, every special interest group points fingers at others who "are a bigger problem" The RV community is pointing fingers at people who text, texters are pointing fingers at people who speed, speeders are pointing fingers at drunk drivers, saying they cause more accidents than the RV community.... They probably do, from a statistical point of view, but if we "do nothing because there's always a bigger problem that should be fixed first".... Where do we end up? Doing nothing ??? That's where we've been and where we're going, in that "circle of pointing fingers" with no results.....

It's a certain fact that RV'ers aren't the biggest offender of traffic laws, but then neither are drunk drivers (currently) and yet we're about to require an alarm be installed in all new cars to warn parents to check the back seat to be sure they don't leave a child behind..... From what I'm reading, we are "reacting to around 25 child deaths annually" with that measure. I'll admit, the death of a child is tragic and should NEVER happen, but focusing on that problem while ignoring the 3,000 deaths from texting??? In my state, we still don't enforce an existing law that prohibits cell phone use and we don't enforce the one that requires towing under the maximum vehicle weight. Heck, in many places we don't even enforce speed limits, yet all the news stations give us statistics on the "growing death toll on our nation's highways"....

We're going in circles trying to find a place to start ????? Seems to me the faster we go in that circle, the smaller the circle gets and we're getting nowhere faster than before.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-06-2017, 03:34 PM   #48
chuckster57
Site Team

Don't remember where, but I thought I saw someone trying to introduce legislation that would require cell phones to be disabled while a vehicle was in motion. I agree we seem to be playing musical chairs, and I often wonder who the "winner" will be.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 03:57 PM   #49
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
If 35' trailers are being sold to unsuspecting Grand Cherokee owners, then those dealers are enabling the problems and should be held accountable to a degree if a disclaimer signed by the buyer is not provided. If the buyer insists, then its his baby and time for existing laws and statutes to be enforced.

You and others seem to be pushing enforcement, which is a reasonable solution if done reasonably. Enforcement and educated compliance go hand in hand for success. The RV industry, whether govt instigated or not, posts stickers galore reminding the buying public of limitations when operating the product (go to an ATV dealer and check them out). Both the industry and the end users need to take responsibility for the operation of the vehicle, and I think more folks would comply if they knew the facts and consequences. We see that on this forum after a dose of reality from the WP contingent.

Once again, limits may be pushed and no one has a death wish, but heavy-handed, onerous punishment without frontend education and awareness is not the answer. There has to be a balance in the process without draconian consequences.

Is everyone going to comply? No. Criminals will always have guns, regardless of the laws that primarily affect law abiding citizens. Let's just enforce the laws already on the books and try to further educate those who will generally comply.

I agree that draconian measures shouldn't be the first step. But, where is the education supposed to come from? Manufacturers aren't going to do it and neither are dealers. Dealers wouldn't do it even if you paid them and if it costs, buyers aren't going to go. So, where does it come from? Any motivated buyer/owner can go online and learn a lot - probably enough to be safe if they would abide by what they read.....but then again, what kind of information are they actually going to get? Real, honest information or some guy's off the wall interpretation of how it should be done?

Now, we're back to enforcement since education didn't work. Enforcement for RVs is going to be difficult from a law enforcement perspective. All trucks and RVs have different specs so it would have to be a very people intensive effort. People cost money; most LEO organizations run short of money. Now what? Back to the draconian measures - slaps on the wrist don't work. Example: I think this was brought up in a previous post. In NM they changed the laws for speeding. Used to be you got the ticket, chose guilty, not guilty or no contest. You went on your way and contacted the judge to determine your fine etc. You were assessed points against your license. Now, when you get stopped for speeding you have 2 choices; return to the local judge at a date the judge determines so he can hear your case (no phone call - actual appearance) OR plead guilty on the spot, sign the dotted line, the tell you the amount of the fine on the spot and give you an envelope so you can mail it in. No points. Poof! It's done gone and over. Last time I was stopped I just said "guilty" - I'm not driving all the way back here to do this. $140 if I recall. I can do that all day long. Am I learning anything? Yes. They want the money, not safety. I'm not hurt at all except a small fine and I'm good with that. Small, meaningless law enforcement measures don't accomplish anything. Now the draconian makes sense. How draconian? That would be up for discussion, but, the object would be to get the response I alluded to earlier "Wow, that hurt! I'm never doing that again"! How do we do that? I doubt we ever will since RV safety is a pretty low priority, but it seems we could start by having everyone drive through an RV weight line to get compliance.......

I don't want to do that anymore than anyone else. I do want to do something to get RVers to adhere to established weight limits. The RV world is exploding and the number of overloaded, unsafe rigs on the highways is growing exponentially. I figure something will happen sooner or later. I am not the WP. I am an older, thoughtful, conservative, safety conscious individual that tries to follow the law - especially when towing; I expect everyone else to do the same. It's not asking anything special of anyone - it's the law and as we have witnessed, if you don't follow the existing laws, they just keep making more to try to address the same thing.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:27 PM   #50
Desert185

Quote:
If we rely on the manufacturers to "educate the public" we'll get products with names like "Cougar Half Ton" and "Jayco Eagle Half Ton" which come with a disclaimer in very small print on the bottom of the back page of the brochure that says, "Towable with a properly equipped half ton truck"... What it doesn't say is that 97% of all manufactured half ton trucks are NOT properly equipped... Oh wait, that's what's happening right now....

So, they are marketing to an uneducated public and creating the situation that we're talking about. I wouldn't look to them for much support at reducing the problem at the expense of their profits.

As for all the "government stickers" that are already being put on things. We've had several examples on the forum in the past week where people damaged their trailers by "ignoring the caution" that was clearly placed directly over the connection they were using. I'd wager that half the members of this forum don't know what information is on the two weight stickers on their trailer, and probably 25% of them didn't realize there are TWO stickers (until they just read it in this response) so "educating the public with stickers" is about as effective as asking a "real man" to read the assembly instructions before trying to build his kid's new bicycle...

I agree, "draconian measures" shouldn't be the first step, educating the public should be, followed by enforcement, followed by stricter enforcement for those who refuse to comply...

The way I see it, every special interest group points fingers at others who "are a bigger problem" The RV community is pointing fingers at people who text, texters are pointing fingers at people who speed, speeders are pointing fingers at drunk drivers, saying they cause more accidents than the RV community.... They probably do, from a statistical point of view, but if we "do nothing because there's always a bigger problem that should be fixed first".... Where do we end up? Doing nothing ??? That's where we've been and where we're going, in that "circle of pointing fingers" with no results.....

It's a certain fact that RV'ers aren't the biggest offender of traffic laws, but then neither are drunk drivers (currently) and yet we're about to require an alarm be installed in all new cars to warn parents to check the back seat to be sure they don't leave a child behind..... From what I'm reading, we are "reacting to around 25 child deaths annually" with that measure. I'll admit, the death of a child is tragic and should NEVER happen, but focusing on that problem while ignoring the 3,000 deaths from texting??? In my state, we still don't enforce an existing law that prohibits cell phone use and we don't enforce the one that requires towing under the maximum vehicle weight. Heck, in many places we don't even enforce speed limits, yet all the news stations give us statistics on the "growing death toll on our nation's highways"....

We're going in circles trying to find a place to start ????? Seems to me the faster we go in that circle, the smaller the circle gets and we're getting nowhere faster than before.....
Thanks for helping to make my point on people. I didn't want to go where you went and you're so much better at it than I am (compliment)..and I really don't read the stickers, either. I just read the owner's manual and forum myself with the details of the new endeavor.

So I guess we're back to the status quo. If we aren't enforcing the existing laws and people can't be educated to do the right thing, then there is no point in opening a big can of gestapo on the nice retired couple from Mayberry, KS who is just trying to have good time.

I'm good with it.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:04 AM   #51
notanlines

We just left a campground in Wisconsin where we saw (among other things) a 2016 425ts Raptor being towed every week-end with an F250 Crew Cab Diesel. I believe this is the worst we saw most of the summer, but as all of you know this isn't unusual. I only talked to him about his side by side he had in the garage, not the load he was towing.
In looking at the side of the argument concerning heavily overloaded pickups it might be easier to win on occasion if the statistics were stronger in our favor. The truth of the matter is that there are very, very few RV accidents/mishaps due to the pickup being overloaded.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:13 AM   #52
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
We just left a campground in Wisconsin where we saw (among other things) a 2016 425ts Raptor being towed every week-end with an F250 Crew Cab Diesel. I believe this is the worst we saw most of the summer, but as all of you know this isn't unusual. I only talked to him about his side by side he had in the garage, not the load he was towing.
In looking at the side of the argument concerning heavily overloaded pickups it might be easier to win on occasion if the statistics were stronger in our favor. The truth of the matter is that there are very, very few RV accidents/mishaps due to the pickup being overloaded.
I'm not so sure about that....very few accidents due to overloading. I honestly don't know if that info is tracked by anyone, and the accidents that do happen may just be reported as tire failures....which may have resulted from overloading; I just don't know.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:16 AM   #53
cpt_majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
I'm not as worried about the law.....as I am the "lawyers". A civil suit against me for knowingly towing overloaded, if I was involved in a serious accident or a fatality accident, worries me a lot more. Fortunately, with my present TV/trailer combo, I don't have to worry about it.
I agree 100%, the whole thing is just not worth it for me. Larry H Parker will foam at the mouth for a case like this and it could be financially devastating for most...
cpt_majestic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:23 AM   #54
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_majestic View Post
I agree 100%, the whole thing is just not worth it for me. Larry H Parker will foam at the mouth for a case like this and it could be financially devastating for most...
Yea, I've worked way too long and hard for what I have to allow someone to take it from me....all because of my stupidity or indifference.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:29 AM   #55
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_majestic View Post
Quote:
Yea, I've worked way too long and hard for what I have to allow someone to take it from me....all because of my stupidity or indifference.
And this is why I have a 31' XLite fifth wheel (not a 37' one) for my F250 and why I have an F250 (not an F150) for my XLite.....

Even some of the Cougar XLite models would "overload" my F250 diesel based on the available payload sticker "prominently displayed on the door pillar in YELLOW".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-07-2017, 04:31 AM   #56
jsmith948

Don't forget public perception. Have you ever been sitting at a light minding your own business only to have someone driving a Prius come up alongside and offer their 'opinion' as to how you and 'your kind' are polluting the atmosphere and ruining the world with our diesel trucks and vile, unnecessary RV? I have - of course I reside in Kalifornia. There WILL come a day when we (folks with RVs) are required to stop at the truck scales and go through the same hassles as the big rigs - safety inspections - including tires, suspension, road flares, proper license, registration, etc., etc., etc.!
The "public" will demand it through their legislators - after all, why should 'we' be allowed to do something 'they' can't? (never mind that we worked all of our lives so that we could one day retire and enjoy the RV lifestyle. The policing entities will increase enforcement in order to satidfy the 'public' - then, once the realization dawns that this is a pretty good way to increase state revenue, the states will begin adding RV lanes at the scales. As an example, here in good ole' Kalifornia, even though there are numerous state of the art weigh stations throughout the state, the CHP/Caltrans folks will set up an inspection station in a highway rest area in order to impress the 'public' with their efforts at cracking down od these 'outlaw' truckers - aka menaces to the motoring public. It is always plitical - just follow the money. Sorry for my cynicism - it's the result of 2.5 million miles as a trucker. Rant off.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:55 AM   #57
Desert185

Quote:
I'm not so sure about that....very few accidents due to overloading. I honestly don't know if that info is tracked by anyone, and the accidents that do happen may just be reported as tire failures....which may have resulted from overloading; I just don't know.
A lot of people don't know.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:00 AM   #58
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Don't forget public perception. Have you ever been sitting at a light minding your own business only to have someone driving a Prius come up alongside and offer their 'opinion' as to how you and 'your kind' are polluting the atmosphere and ruining the world with our diesel trucks and vile, unnecessary RV? I have - of course I reside in Kalifornia. There WILL come a day when we (folks with RVs) are required to stop at the truck scales and go through the same hassles as the big rigs - safety inspections - including tires, suspension, road flares, proper license, registration, etc., etc., etc.!
The "public" will demand it through their legislators - after all, why should 'we' be allowed to do something 'they' can't? (never mind that we worked all of our lives so that we could one day retire and enjoy the RV lifestyle. The policing entities will increase enforcement in order to satidfy the 'public' - then, once the realization dawns that this is a pretty good way to increase state revenue, the states will begin adding RV lanes at the scales. As an example, here in good ole' Kalifornia, even though there are numerous state of the art weigh stations throughout the state, the CHP/Caltrans folks will set up an inspection station in a highway rest area in order to impress the 'public' with their efforts at cracking down od these 'outlaw' truckers - aka menaces to the motoring public. It is always plitical - just follow the money. Sorry for my cynicism - it's the result of 2.5 million miles as a trucker. Rant off.
Besides learning to fly, one of the smartest, self-satisfying, financially positive things I've done in my life was to move out of that state in 1992.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:13 AM   #59
Javi

http://fifthwheelst.com/rv-accidents-statistics.html

Not a lot of statistics on RV accidents... but it appears most of what is available is from Lawyers... go figure...
Old 08-07-2017, 06:45 AM   #60
xrated

Quote:
And this is why I have a 31' XLite fifth wheel (not a 37' one) for my F250 and why I have an F250 (not an F150) for my XLite.....

Even some of the Cougar XLite models would "overload" my F250 diesel based on the available payload sticker "prominently displayed on the door pillar in YELLOW".....
So, a payload sticker has some yellow on it.....who knew?