Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2017, 07:23 AM   #1
kfxgreenie

States that weigh "payload"?

I'm wondering if there is a list of states that weigh vehicles off the yellow sticker payload? I'm well aware that states weigh commercial vehicles, all that I know of weigh said vehicles off from GAWR's, and or the lesser plate if registered less than scaled weight. There was recently a post on this forum that asserted that the DOT in some states will cite you if you are over ANY stickered number. I would like to know what states these are?
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:54 AM   #2
Ductape

In all my 25 years of driving commercially, I have never seen, nor heard of law enforcement bothering a single RV owner. FWIW, out on the streets California was always said to have the most over zealous vehicle enforcement, with Conneticut a close second.
Ductape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:15 AM   #3
Ken / Claudia

In Oregon the state police does, I did. Even most dept.s that have traffic units can and are trained how to spot and weight vehicles. Do they? I know some do not care until they investigate a crash. Others try to be more proactive. But, we had a yearly number of vehicles all patrol had to check. That number included all trucks, comm or not, pickups with rvs or work trailer, Dec is when the guys get pushed to catch up there numbers. Up until the 1990s we put up road checks during the fall hunting season and mainly were there to check game but, overloaded vehicles was another.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:51 AM   #4
Javi

Texas will if the officer has reason to believe you are over weight or have other safety violations... Get stopped for a traffic violation and get checked for license class, weight and safety... For instance any officer with 1/2 a brain knows an F250 ain't legal carrying a 13K plus trailer...

I suspect most if not all states have the laws on the books, enforcement is the choice of the officer or their superiors...
Old 08-03-2017, 09:48 AM   #5
xrated

I'm not as worried about the law.....as I am the "lawyers". A civil suit against me for knowingly towing overloaded, if I was involved in a serious accident or a fatality accident, worries me a lot more. Fortunately, with my present TV/trailer combo, I don't have to worry about it.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:14 AM   #6
MattE303

I have read a ton of threads about this kinda stuff on the Glamis Dunes (SoCal) discussion groups. The conventional wisdom there is that the main thing LEO's care about is being over axle and tire ratings (GAWR), not payload or gross combined. I don't go to Glamis personally, but it sounds like that area is pretty aggressively patrolled, and I didn't find a single account of anyone being cited for GVWR/GCWR.

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:19 AM   #7
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattE303 View Post
I have read a ton of threads about this kinda stuff on the Glamis Dunes (SoCal) discussion groups. The conventional wisdom there is that the main thing LEO's care about is being over axle and tire ratings (GAWR), not payload or gross combined. I don't go to Glamis personally, but it sounds like that area is pretty aggressively patrolled, and I didn't find a single account of anyone being cited for GVWR/GCWR.
Yes. In California, generally the enforcement for non-commercial would focus on axle and/or tire ratings, but it doesn't mean if a setup is grossly overloaded, they won't use GVWR/GCWR. For commercial, it can be anything.
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:26 AM   #8
Racebug

most states allow you to abide by the law of the state your drivers license is issued. if your not being paid to pull your trailer, then your not commercial and do not have to follow any of the commercial rules. With a basic drivers license (class D in KY) I am allowed to haul 80,000 lbs and be 65' long and haul double trailers. I am not sure if they even care about what I am hauling with either.... On the other hand when I am driving my 3500 ram service truck (commercial work truck), they will nail me to the cross for having a 1000 pound trailer behind me even though I have a log book filled out and a medical card.
Basically, if your not making money, that wont screw with you.

2017 Fuzion 417
2018 Ram 3500 Longhorn
Racebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:25 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Pismo beach is a popular place for getting your axle weighed. BIL has witnessed CHP impounding trailer for being over.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:57 PM   #10
gearhead

Probably 15 years ago a co-worker was on vacation in California pulling a heavy 5th wheel with a Dodge 2500. Highway patrol pulled him over and weighed him. They let him go but told him if he had been a "local" they would have him unhitch and come back for the 5th with a suitable truck.
I have read on a local fishing forum that Texas highway patrol has pulled heavy 5th's over but I haven't heard or seen it first hand.
I've seen more than a few that needed to be pulled over.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:33 PM   #11
CWSWine

Yep, to many lawyers advertising on the internet that if you been a accident with RV contact us. Now I have seen two bill boards that said "If you have been in accident with commercial vehicle or RV contact" some lawyers name. Get caught over weight would be inconvenience but a civil lawsuit could be life changing.

Just a note the setup in my signature is no longer current since I was over weight. I recently purchase a diesel pusher Class A with 5740 pound cargo capacity with 10,000 towing capacity.
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:41 PM   #12
CWSWine

Some people want see the law that says a personnel truck can't be over GVWR and that it is illegal. For civil court atleast it dosen't have to be illegal to become a factor in the case. The jury I sat on 40 percent of the cause of the accident was the truck was lifted and had oversized tires on it (over all he was found 80 percent his fault). We the jury determined that was part of cause since is raining and the larger tires increase stopping distance and was confirmed by a expert witness. I ask a retired judge about if legal to go over GVWR and he said there is state and federal law that you must operate a vehicle on public streets within manufacture specs.
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:34 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

I know they enforce it in NM. I don't know what criteria they use but I did watch a trooper carry a portable scale around a 5th wheel and truck weighing it. When I came back by out of curiosity the trailer was there and the towing truck wasn't. This was outside of Loco Hills NM if I recall.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:12 PM   #14
CWtheMan

Here in SC you pay for what you haul - so to speak. My dully has a GCWR of 23,500# when equipped with a 4.10. The SC DOT patrol cars all carry single wheel position scales. Should I be stopped and checked for total weight and found to be over the GCWR listed on my vehicle registration my day would end and I might get a stiff fine.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:00 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

I have not been stopped for weight, but 2 weeks ago we were travelling north on I-75 and crossed the Mackinac Bridge into the upper peninsula. When we were in line at the toll booth (at the north end of the bridge) a state policeman motioned me to get out of line and pointed to the shoulder of the road. Of course I complied, and he asked me how long my rig was. We were towing the fifth wheel with the boat behind it. I told him it was 73'6". He asked for my driver's license, checked for the "double towing endorsement" and dragged out a tape measure, hooked it on the front bumper and walked to the back of the boat. Sure enough, I had measured the same as his results. He handed me back my driver's license, told us to have a good day and we got back in line to pay the toll. That's the first time I've been stopped for a "compliance check" in Michigan, he didn't check weights, but he did check length of the rig and insurance/driver's license for appropriate endorsements.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:36 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

I think John's experience is going to expand...including weights. I've been running back and forth across TX the last few days and I can see, especially in the metro areas, as they take your tax dollars, build new highways and then give them to toll entities (NTTA) to then tax you, toll you and have their own enforcement folks, that RV folks (towing vehicles) are going to be on their short list of "victims". Those that pay no attention, or refuse to abide by, the dictated weights of their vehicles/rvs are going to be in for a very rude surprise when they "flip the switch".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:40 PM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

I have said it before: RV's are the untapped gold mine.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:54 PM   #18
rhagfo

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
I'm not as worried about the law.....as I am the "lawyers". A civil suit against me for knowingly towing overloaded, if I was involved in a serious accident or a fatality accident, worries me a lot more. Fortunately, with my present TV/trailer combo, I don't have to worry about it.
Glad you feel that way, as there are many lawers out there willing to prove you wrong.

Being within limits is only part of of the defense, how the rig was operated is likely be abigger part of the case.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:10 AM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I have said it before: RV's are the untapped gold mine.
Agreed. If there is a way to make/collect money from it someone (or group, i.e. government) will.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:53 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

There's another thread on the forum right now about the condition of the roads and a state by state comparison. What better way for states to collect money than from "tourists/travelers" crossing the border into their state? Just open an RV lane at the "entry point weigh stations" and check for compliance. Those that are "overweight" get a ticket (upcharge) and those that are "more than the average vehicle weight" (set by the state government) get to buy a permit..... Some say it will "kill tourism" but when every state does it, it's either stay home or buy the permit.

We are on the brink of needing a new transportation system (roads and bridges) and there's no money to pay for it. It's only a matter of time before RV'ers are included in that "bountiful income source" that's typically reserved for commercial truckers. (Ever see that decal on the back of a truck that reads, "This vehicle pays $5000 in road taxes per year" ???) Soon to apply to RV's too ??????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote