Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2017, 07:52 AM   #21
Johnny's Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I don't know about other brands but my Ford has the infamous E4OD and the transmission engineer on my truck forum says 200 all day long, 225 for 1/2hr, 250 for 15 minutes.

Others may post a link to a chart showing trans fluid shouldn't get over 225, but our engineer assured us that it is old, old, old, data.
Had nearly this same type of conversation with my Son (engine builder and tuner) while going out to Zion. Conclusion was nearly what you've written above with exception as to why "old, old, old, data" is old. Today's trans fluids are designed to run at very high temps. However the new formulas will break down if abused for to long.
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:58 AM   #22
GaryWT

So after reading through all these... I will look into how you lock out a gear, maybe I misunderstood when I read about the tow mode, I for some reason thought the tow button locked out gears but it never seems to. Downshifting as an incline approaches I would guess I would need to be in manual mode and not automatic. None of my temp gauges move whether in tow mode or not but will check this out some more. Could just be as someone said, the trailer is not much for my beast. The trailer is 8,000 pounds and 35 feet long and the 350 has the 6.2 and 3.73 gears so who knows.

I do not have an issue with the engine reving but I do not like to have it at 5,000 for too long as it would stay there for a mile if that is how long I had to go to get to the top. At that point I take it out of cruise and let the rpm's drop and just maintain speed until the top.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:39 PM   #23
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Tow/haul mode

I can only speak for Ford, but this is how it works.

Tow/Haul mode: you have access to all gears, provided you have not limited them (more on that later). Shifting programming is different so upshift/downshift behave a little different. Braking can cause downshifting. Trans will stay in same gear (not upshift) if you take your foot all the way off of the accelerator pedal.

Plus/minus buttons: whether in tow/haul or not, the plus/minus buttons will limit the number of gears your transmission will use. I find this the most common way I tow. Most of the time I do not want to upshift and want to stay in say 4th gear. If in tow/haul, that logic will be used however you are still controlling the top gear used.

M (manual) mode: this puts you in total control. I find this most useful to prevent the tranny from downshifting (even when flooring it) when you know it can pull a grade. Sometimes flooring it in current gear is better than a downshift because you know the grade is almost over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:00 AM   #24
Bushed

Tow haul mode also modifies when the torque converter locks up and unlocks. I would never pull anything without it on. It's there for a reason and engineered to be used when pulling. For me it's tow haul mode on and just drive it and let it figure out what to do. I do manipulate some shift points with throttle input but ultimately I just let it do what it wants. There is a reason the transmission needs to shift down or up and usually that reason is to stop slippage in the clutch packs. My two cents

Bushed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:22 AM   #25
GaryWT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback 325BH View Post
I can only speak for Ford, but this is how it works.

Tow/Haul mode: you have access to all gears, provided you have not limited them (more on that later). Shifting programming is different so upshift/downshift behave a little different. Braking can cause downshifting. Trans will stay in same gear (not upshift) if you take your foot all the way off of the accelerator pedal.

Plus/minus buttons: whether in tow/haul or not, the plus/minus buttons will limit the number of gears your transmission will use. I find this the most common way I tow. Most of the time I do not want to upshift and want to stay in say 4th gear. If in tow/haul, that logic will be used however you are still controlling the top gear used.

M (manual) mode: this puts you in total control. I find this most useful to prevent the tranny from downshifting (even when flooring it) when you know it can pull a grade. Sometimes flooring it in current gear is better than a downshift because you know the grade is almost over.

Next trip I will check some things out. So do you shift from D to M while on the move or from only a stopped position? I am thinking some hills or mountains might be better if I can avoid dropping to 2nd gear. Of course we do not have giant mountains but we have some in NH and Vermont.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:54 AM   #26
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
Next trip I will check some things out. So do you shift from D to M while on the move or from only a stopped position? I am thinking some hills or mountains might be better if I can avoid dropping to 2nd gear. Of course we do not have giant mountains but we have some in NH and Vermont.
You can shift into manual on the fly. Keep in mind that the trans will then STAY in the gear selected NO MATTER WHAT. On downgrades, tow/haul can/will downshift to maintain the desired speed. One problem with this is that the trans can downshift to where the engine rpm is higher than desired. For example - on a long steep downgrade it might shift into 3rd with rpms nearing 3K. The diesel is REDLINED at 4K. For me, 3k is too fast. I have found that shifting into manual I can select 4th gear - descend the hill with judicious braking and prevent the high revs.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:12 AM   #27
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Tow/haul mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
You can shift into manual on the fly. Keep in mind that the trans will then STAY in the gear selected NO MATTER WHAT. On downgrades, tow/haul can/will downshift to maintain the desired speed. One problem with this is that the trans can downshift to where the engine rpm is higher than desired. For example - on a long steep downgrade it might shift into 3rd with rpms nearing 3K. The diesel is REDLINED at 4K. For me, 3k is too fast. I have found that shifting into manual I can select 4th gear - descend the hill with judicious braking and prevent the high revs.

There has been times where I applied the brakes on a steep curved decline and the tranny kicked down a gear... and I did not like it because it was raining. A downshift AND brakes all at once was a little unnerving. Would not like to have the rear end slide on a corner.

Most of the time "just letting it do its thing" is OK, however there are times where that is not desired.

I find myself using manual more and more. There are many situations the computer just has no awareness of.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:49 AM   #28
Desert185

Outback:

"There are many situations the computer just has no awareness of."

And that is a key point to remember. Just because it has a computer doesn't mean you don't have to drive it anymore.

I saw two diesel pusher motorhomes towing their destination drive-arounds going down a grade. The first one used no brakes. The second one had his brake lights on the entire time.

Technology can be a good thing, but it must be understood and managed properly by the driver in the seat rather than be depended upon to do the right thing under all conditions.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:59 PM   #29
Bushed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback 325BH View Post
There has been times where I applied the brakes on a steep curved decline and the tranny kicked down a gear... and I did not like it because it was raining. A downshift AND brakes all at once was a little unnerving. Would not like to have the rear end slide on a corner.

Most of the time "just letting it do its thing" is OK, however there are times where that is not desired.

I find myself using manual more and more. There are many situations the computer just has no awareness of.

Sounds like you weren't paying attention to what is ahead for corners and hills and panicked. Tow haul, manual mode or anything wouldn't help you there. Have to be very aware of what's ahead when towing. The point I was making is that I prepare for a hill, such as tap my brake which gets the truck to shift down and engine brake engage. Very rarely do I need any brake pedal input as the transmission and engine brake slows the me down enough on any hill. It worked all the way through the Rocky Mountains of British Columbia. And also the duramax engine and Allison transmission make a person spoiled.

Bushed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:20 PM   #30
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushed View Post
Sounds like you weren't paying attention to what is ahead for corners and hills and panicked. Tow haul, manual mode or anything wouldn't help you there. Have to be very aware of what's ahead when towing. The point I was making is that I prepare for a hill, such as tap my brake which gets the truck to shift down and engine brake engage. Very rarely do I need any brake pedal input as the transmission and engine brake slows the me down enough on any hill. It worked all the way through the Rocky Mountains of British Columbia. And also the duramax engine and Allison transmission make a person spoiled.

No panic. Just braking then downshifting when I didn't want it. That is where relying on the computer isn't best.

Not all situations require monster downshifting and braking, but the computer doesn't know the difference.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:07 AM   #31
GaryWT

OK, this past weekend I used tow mode and locked out 6th gear before I left the driveway. No big hills this weekend but the drive was great so I will move forward with this method for awhile to see how it continues to go.

Tags
mod, tow