Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2017, 07:08 AM   #1
GaryWT

Tow/haul mode

I have always used the tow/haul mode when hooked up. For the most part everything was fine but at times when going up a hill the transmission would shift so low that I was up over 5,000 rpm. It was fine but loud etc. The last 2 trips I did not use the tow button and found the trips to be much better. The rpm's never went over 4,000 going up some of the same hills. Everything was smooth so I do not think I will ever use it again. Never did I feel I was between gears or that the transmission was searching or anything. Glad I tried it as it was a nice ride.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:02 AM   #2
Ken / Claudia

I have no experience with your tranny but, other trucks when towing a heavy load without using the tow mode you will over heat the tranny and it will fail if you continue to not use it. Example, at the time I always it in my work truck never had any problems with the tranny thru the turn in of the truck at about 96,000 miles. Boss wanted to drive his truck pulling same boat I pulled weekly on a about 600 mile round trip to work the rouge river from pdx. He did not use tow mode, I ever looked at his dash or asked. That tranny failed 2 days after we returned. He had about 30,000 miles on that tranny.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:41 AM   #3
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
I have always used the tow/haul mode when hooked up. For the most part everything was fine but at times when going up a hill the transmission would shift so low that I was up over 5,000 rpm. It was fine but loud etc. The last 2 trips I did not use the tow button and found the trips to be much better. The rpm's never went over 4,000 going up some of the same hills. Everything was smooth so I do not think I will ever use it again. Never did I feel I was between gears or that the transmission was searching or anything. Glad I tried it as it was a nice ride.
The peak HP of the 6.2 is close to 5000 rpm, that is why it went there, The 6.2 is a decent puller with the right gears, but unless you order them from the factory they are extremely rare on the used market. I pulled a 10,000 lb TH a lot of miles with a 6.2, always locked out 6th and slowed down on hills to keep it out of 3rd. Most of the time I turned off CC so I could control the downshift. The tow/hall mode does a couple of things for you, it helps hold speed on down hill runs and will hold unit from drifting backwards at stop lights. It does change the shift points.

I really liked that truck but letting it go was the right thing to do.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:00 AM   #4
gearhead

I would put it in tow/haul mode and leave it there. Like FrankG said, it is wanting to get to max HP at a higher RPM that you are not used to hearing. If you are pulling up hills and it shifts into top gear, then immediately downshifts, I would lock out the top gear until you get on a more level road. If it continues to hunt in and out of top gear, even on small inclines, just leave the top gear locked out.
That's what gassers have to do. That's why so many prefer diesels.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:06 AM   #5
slow

Tow/haul mode

I too lock out 6th while in tow/haul mode. To avoid dropping to second, I will drop to 4th or even 3rd by locking out the higher gear at the base of the incline before loosing speed. Can hold 60mph in 3rd on the steepest inclines this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:19 AM   #6
MTBlazer89

I turn mine off on long flat highway hauls. Trans temp never moves. I always keep it on when pulling hills or in town to keep the converter unlocked and shift points a bit higher.

I don't believe it does any harm unless the trans starts hunting lockup/unlocked or in and out of high gear. That creates heat and kills things.
NAVY CHIEF!
MTBlazer89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:24 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

If I'm pulling something I'm in tow/haul mode. It does several beneficial things for you that have been mentioned. The only truck I didn't use it on burned up the tranny at 32k miles.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:46 PM   #8
Johnny's Journey

I use tow mode because it changes the shift points to a higher rpm and will let the trans hold a higher rpm in any given gear which in return reduces strain on the transmission which reduces heat as well. Technology is great and handy. But it can not beat human instinct and interaction. There are just to many perameters that need to be covered in shifting programs and they all can not be covered. Getting to know how your tow vehicle behaves and then compensating speed either by backing off or manually down shifting at the right moment can and will make things much easier on the drive train. Bottom line is that thing you sit on is as important at telling you whats going as is your trans temp gauge and tach are and will do a better job.
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:00 PM   #9
RLM5150

Don't be afraid to let that engine rev.
RLM5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:07 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

I don't have that button to worry about.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:53 AM   #11
xcntrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
You must have plenty of truck and not much trailer

Whenever I tow my little trailers, I don't even turn it on for the reasons you mention. But when I tow my big/heavy 5'er, I use Tow/Haul and still have to manually shift between 5/6 on the highway whenever approaching a grade to get the RPM's up enough (and to produce enough power) for CC to hold the target speed.

I don't think the Ford's CC logic is all that intelligent. Meaning it will let the rig drop up to 5mph in speed before finally dropping a gear. By that point it wants to rush to recover and typically overshoots by as much as 5mph then goes back and forth until it stabilizes. I prevent this by manually shifting down before a grade.

Lately keep in mind Tow/Haul also has braking benefit in slowing the vehicle (and trailer) by downshifting as you decelerate.

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 04:46 AM   #12
Desert185

You guys with the newer diesel rigs have to watch EGT when you do this or does the computer defuel to control EGT?
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:22 AM   #13
Johnny's Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
You guys....have to watch EGT when you do this
I re quoted for a reason. Even gas engines should be monitored but they don't come equipped that way from the factory. At only 4000 rpm my engine leans out and the engine temp rises. Not a good thing.
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:59 AM   #14
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny's Journey View Post
I re quoted for a reason. Even gas engines should be monitored but they don't come equipped that way from the factory. At only 4000 rpm my engine leans out and the engine temp rises. Not a good thing.
I might have a clue, but why does it lean out, and how do you know?
Old 08-04-2017, 08:21 AM   #15
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcntrk View Post
You must have plenty of truck and not much trailer

Whenever I tow my little trailers, I don't even turn it on for the reasons you mention. But when I tow my big/heavy 5'er, I use Tow/Haul and still have to manually shift between 5/6 on the highway whenever approaching a grade to get the RPM's up enough (and to produce enough power) for CC to hold the target speed.

I don't think the Ford's CC logic is all that intelligent. Meaning it will let the rig drop up to 5mph in speed before finally dropping a gear. By that point it wants to rush to recover and typically overshoots by as much as 5mph then goes back and forth until it stabilizes. I prevent this by manually shifting down before a grade.

Lately keep in mind Tow/Haul also has braking benefit in slowing the vehicle (and trailer) by downshifting as you decelerate.

Yup. Can't replace your brain!

The manual mode and gear limiting makes this all very easy.

Downshifting in preparation for a grade, and not after you slow down (usually enough to be out of band for the next down gear), is what makes for a smooth haul without losing momentum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:57 AM   #16
rubenhank

What is a tranny temp that is too hot? My RAM reports all kinds of temps. I kept an eye on the tranny temp during my inaugural trip across Nebraska in 100+ degree days a few weeks back. I never suspected any issues or problems. The tranny never got above 205 degrees. It ran from 195-205.

Just curious, what temp is the "oh ****" temp?
2014 Ram Laramie 3.92 Axle 5.7 Hemi
rubenhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:35 AM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

I don't know about other brands but my Ford has the infamous E4OD and the transmission engineer on my truck forum says 200 all day long, 225 for 1/2hr, 250 for 15 minutes. Pulling my old Jayco, I did hit 247 twice for about 10 minutes pulling a nasty grade. Current fiver is 3,000 pounds lighter and I don't see over 220.

Others may post a link to a chart showing trans fluid shouldn't get over 225, but our engineer assured us that it is old, old, old, data.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:08 PM   #18
Desert185

The rule of thumb for years on trans temps was that it should be the same as the engine coolant temp, which in these days of emissions and fuel mileage requirements is a bit higher than in the past when 180dF was the norm. So 195-205.

Towing, hot day, up a grade will cause the temp to increase. I've seen 250-280 for a short period of time as a max. Reasonable, with today's synthetic ATF's. If that temp range becomes a norm, there is something wrong and the trans should be looked at. Higher temps isn't just a problem with the fluid, as the trans clutches and seals will suffer if regularly exposed to those higher temps.

Regular towing should be considered hard use requiring a shorter fluid change interval. Check the factory recommendation.

BTW, a race bulder of transmissions told me that today's fluid formulations are so refined that any brand is OK to use. Not sure I can go along with that, but I have been servicing a foreign vehicle with a strong recommendation for regular fluid changes to keep the trans healthy. Coming up on 200,000 miles using O'Reilly Toyota Type 4 synthetic ATF. So...

My 12V Cummins with aftermarket Suncoast 47RH had a Mag-Hytec deep pan sump that was finned aluminum and held more fluid. I think that's a good mod for a tow rig.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:41 AM   #19
the sodfather

I find these temp readings interesting. My old Chevy Avalanche ran 175-180 empty. Towing I saw 209 once and freaked out. My new 2500, empty it's never reached 150. Towing to South Padre in July it only got up to 181 for a brief time. Usually stayed around 178.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:52 AM   #20
Desert185

Even with summer heat, South Padre is pretty flat and at sea level. It depends on where the temp probe is, too. I like sump temperature, but not all probes are located there.

Like EGT probes, some are in the exhaust manifold (like mine), and some are located after the turbo. Generally, 1250dF in the manifold and 1000dF after the turbo is the observed limit.

You have to know where the probe is to keep it all in perspective.

Tags
mod, tow