Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 09:53 AM   #81
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Not to be argumentative, but from your original post:

"....because the 10,000 GVWR is a paper limitation not an actual limitation".

Not only is it dangerous to exceed your GVW, it is illegal to exceed the payload on the sticker....if caught. Therefore, the sticker IS an actual, legal limitation......if someone chooses to abide by it and involves the legality of it all.

The point was, just because is may be a legal issue, that doesn't make it a safety issue.

If the difference between a 3/4-ton and a 1-ton SRW is simply a sticker (in some cases that really is the only difference), exceeding the 3/4-ton's GVWR isn't creating a dangerous situation if it does not exceed the 1-ton's rating.

Understand? Sometimes you have to look beyond the sticker and know what truck you have. If you are unknowledgeable about your truck, blindly following the stickers is probably a good thing. Some of us are well aware of what our trucks are capable of and how they were built. That is all I am saying. Exceeding the sticker's rating doesn't always create a dangerous situation. There is more to it than that.

This is why the WP have such a bad reputation. They ignore facts and pretend anyone exceeding the weight rating on the sticker is going to kill everyone out on the road... which is untrue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2017, 10:50 AM   #82
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback 325BH View Post
The point was, just because is may be a legal issue, that doesn't make it a safety issue.

If the difference between a 3/4-ton and a 1-ton SRW is simply a sticker (in some cases that really is the only difference), exceeding the 3/4-ton's GVWR isn't creating a dangerous situation if it does not exceed the 1-ton's rating.

Understand? Sometimes you have to look beyond the sticker and know what truck you have. If you are unknowledgeable about your truck, blindly following the stickers is probably a good thing. Some of us are well aware of what our trucks are capable of and how they were built. That is all I am saying. Exceeding the sticker's rating doesn't always create a dangerous situation. There is more to it than that.

This is why the WP have such a bad reputation. They ignore facts and pretend anyone exceeding the weight rating on the sticker is going to kill everyone out on the road... which is untrue.

Herein is part of the problem. Only speaking form a Ram owner point of view... There is a mechanical difference between the newer Ram 2500 and SRW 3500 trucks. The 2500 has a link arm/coil spring suspension, whereas the 3500 SRW has a leaf spring suspension. Two totally different types of suspension geometry. For those of us who are mechanically inclined, yes we know the difference and the capabilities of our trucks.

For the less educated (mechanically speaking), who buy a 3//4 ton because they were told by the dealer (truck or trailer) it can pull anything you want, that is where the issue arrises. They have no idea of the limits they may surpass, because they were assured the truck was very capable.

As far as you WP comment, not knowing if you meant posters here, or the law enforcement based WP... I can tell you, in many states, the road enforcement WP will happily cite and/or park you until you are "legal" if you are over any of the specs. Generally speaking, they usually overlook RV set-ups. However, just because they don't take action, doesn't mean they can't take action.

Nothing ever happens... until it happens.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:02 PM   #83
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo4u View Post
Herein is part of the problem. Only speaking form a Ram owner point of view... There is a mechanical difference between the newer Ram 2500 and SRW 3500 trucks. The 2500 has a link arm/coil spring suspension, whereas the 3500 SRW has a leaf spring suspension. Two totally different types of suspension geometry. For those of us who are mechanically inclined, yes we know the difference and the capabilities of our trucks.

For the less educated (mechanically speaking), who buy a 3//4 ton because they were told by the dealer (truck or trailer) it can pull anything you want, that is where the issue arrises. They have no idea of the limits they may surpass, because they were assured the truck was very capable.

As far as you WP comment, not knowing if you meant posters here, or the law enforcement based WP... I can tell you, in many states, the road enforcement WP will happily cite and/or park you until you are "legal" if you are over any of the specs. Generally speaking, they usually overlook RV set-ups. However, just because they don't take action, doesn't mean they can't take action.

Nothing ever happens... until it happens.

I see where you are coming from.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:08 PM   #84
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback 325BH View Post

Understand? Far more than you might imagine I suppose.

I think Bolo4u pretty much explained things, hopefully, to you. I am fully aware, and mechanically able, to ascertain my truck's capabilities, whether mechanically, or legally. I am mechanical and have rebuilt trucks/engines for many years.

The problem is blanket statements; "because the 10,000 lb. gvwr is a paper limitation and not an actual limitation" is flat wrong and misleading to folks new to towing. Because you, in your situation, believe that one set of weight values are all that matters (gawr) you should not encourage others, in different circumstances, to do the same - they don't know what your circumstances are as they try to make an educated decision thus leading to confusion and possible decision making errors on their part.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:36 PM   #85
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Understand? Far more than you might imagine I suppose.

I think Bolo4u pretty much explained things, hopefully, to you. I am fully aware, and mechanically able, to ascertain my truck's capabilities, whether mechanically, or legally. I am mechanical and have rebuilt trucks/engines for many years.

The problem is blanket statements; "because the 10,000 lb. gvwr is a paper limitation and not an actual limitation" is flat wrong and misleading to folks new to towing. Because you, in your situation, believe that one set of weight values are all that matters (gawr) you should not encourage others, in different circumstances, to do the same - they don't know what your circumstances are as they try to make an educated decision thus leading to confusion and possible decision making errors on their part.

The 10k limit on a 3/4 ton is absolutely a paper limit. That is fact. It keeps the truck a class 2.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:47 PM   #86
chuckster57
Site Team

Here we go again with the "same" thing again. Since we are drifting off the path, I'm going to put the brakes on. This thread is closed.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Closed Thread

Tags
tow, towing